Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
You are getting quite a bit of good advice here. May I ask how old you are? Do you actually have an engineering degree? It is good to have dreams but you have to keep your feet planted in reality to make your way successfully. I would also advise taking one of those job offers, file your custom boat away for a later date and work towards your goals with a positive cash flow. Btw, that design looks like bigger seas would slap the shit out of you by way of the big flat frontal area between the sponsons, I would definitely have a good naval architect look that over before you built it. Good luck in your endeavors.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
You are getting quite a bit of good advice here. May I ask how old you are? Do you actually have an engineering degree? It is good to have dreams but you have to keep your feet planted in reality to make your way successfully. I would also advise taking one of those job offers, file your custom boat away for a later date and work towards your goals with a positive cash flow. Btw, that design looks like bigger seas would slap the shit out of you by way of the big flat frontal area between the sponsons, I would definitely have a good naval architect look that over before you built it. Good luck in your endeavors.
I'm 30. And I yes I have a master's. And that's why I started this thread, to find someone to look it over with me.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'll take a job when the right one comes along.

Fish_on!

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 17, 2015
Oly
Name
Ben
Boat
18' Super Vee
I'm 30. And I yes I have a master's. And that's why I started this thread, to find someone to look it over with me.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'll take a job when the right one comes along.
I was good with your ideas until you put what looks like a Mercury/Evinrude lovechild prototype on the back!

Also, I think your comparison to sail cats is not a good comparison. Sail cats are not designed to run on both sponsons (unless there is no wind or under power). Sailing is all about rails in the water and putting up as much sail as possible. The cat design allows for stability without a keel (less drag). I’m no navel architect so I might be off on some of my thoughts.

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
After studying this thread, I think I understand what you are trying to achieve and have some suggestions. Please be kind and remember that in a brain storming session, there are no dumb ideas!

Put a motor on each end. That way, you will save time and fuel money by not having to ever turn around. This savings could offset the higher expense associated with a custom build and in the long run, save you lots of money! The Washington State ferries don't turn around. They must be on to something!

Also, consider a bow thruster in the middle. (which in this case is any point between bow and stern due to your design length) Often, especially at NB, dock space can be tight. It would be really handy if you could motor to a spot that fits your boat and just use the bow thruster to push the boat sideways. Since your concept is as wide as it is long, the front becomes the side, the side becomes the front and so on.

Review some pictures of the AMC Pacer. It was a helluva great design and although it probably prevented more pregnancies than Norplant, Dr. Snip and the presence of other screaming children in the house, was way ahead of its time. Your concept captures much of the essence of that car. Study it for additional inspiration.

Make accommodations for a removable floor panel mid ship. When oil drilling opens up off the Pacific Coast, you could improvise some type of conversion to turn a shrimp pot puller into a small scale drilling rig. (I've still got to figure out the details for that one, but I think I am on to something!) The problem with current drilling is they use those big rigs which take a long time to set up and lots of people which = lots of money. Keeping it small keeps your over head down and although you might not have the pumping capacity of a bigger rig, your margins will blow the industry's mind.

Please remember that there are no bad ideas here. I understand that some things I suggested might get crossed off the list, but I appreciate you taking the time to consider them. And, don't let some of these fellers get you down. They might be a bit salty, but they have learned a lot through the years and just worry when they see someone pick up a pair of scissors and start running.

Good luck with your project and tight lines!

Odin7

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
I was good with your ideas until you put what looks like a Mercury/Evinrude lovechild prototype on the back!

Also, I think your comparison to sail cats is not a good comparison. Sail cats are not designed to run on both sponsons (unless there is no wind or under power). Sailing is all about rails in the water and putting up as much sail as possible. The cat design allows for stability without a keel (less drag). I’m no navel architect so I might be off on some of my thoughts.
Its actually a Yamaha 425. But if it ever actually gets built it'll have Evinrudes on the back :). This is the actual rendering. But I dropped the decals and grey-scaled it. saves me memory when manipulating the model

Rend04.jpg

Also I think your point about sail cats is a little off. Look at this bad boy. its not getting up on 1 sponson

alegria-67-fountaine-pajot-sailing-catamarans-mob-6.jpg

Last edited:

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
Like I said, I thought everyone was just really nice.
Lol!

Actually we are mostly assholes.

Most of these guys would give the shirt off their back to someone in need, but this forum is pretty much the opposite of a self esteem support group.

Fish_on!

Feb 17, 2015
Oly
Name
Ben
Boat
18' Super Vee
Its actually a Yamaha 425. But if it ever actually gets built it'll have Evinrudes on the back :). This is the actual rendering. But I dropped the decals and grey-scaled it. saves me memory when manipulating the model

View attachment 1070206

Also I think your point about sail cats is a little off. Look at this bad boy. its not getting up on 1 sponson

View attachment 1070204
Correct, that is a luxury yacht built for blowjobs on the back deck and not high performance sailing. I bet you push the sailing performance limits of that boat and she will keel over and ride predominantly on one sponson. Watch some videos of high performance sail cats sailing. Not a luxury yacht anchored in the harbor while the crew is making dinner for the multi millionaire owner/person charting the boat. You are comparing apples to oranges with sail cats and power cats.

As others have said, we are mostly assholes but will always help another out when in need. We all look forward to watching the design and build process of your $150+ Custom 18 ftr.

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Correct, that is a luxury yacht built for blowjobs on the back deck and not high performance sailing. I bet you push the sailing performance limits of that boat and she will keel over and ride predominantly on one sponson. Watch some videos of high performance sail cats sailing. Not a luxury yacht anchored in the harbor while the crew is making dinner for the multi millionaire owner/person charting the boat. You are comparing apples to oranges with sail cats and power cats.

As others have said, we are mostly assholes but will always help another out when in need. We all look forward to watching the design and build process of your $150+ Custom 18 ftr.
With 850hp! o_O

Reactions: TimeZoned

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Drop off your “renderings” and a resume at Armstrong boats and you might get your boat built and that 7 figure contract you’ve been holding out for.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
It took me 5 years to build my $7000 custom rifle. If I keep that rate my grand kids will get to see it sail haha

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Drop off your “renderings” and a resume at Armstrong boats and you might get your boat built and that 7 figure contract you’ve been holding out for.
You realize that engineering and drafting are not the same thing right? If you want excellent quality renderings you get a drafter to do it. Someone who went to technical school and really knows how to manipulate the program. I can do the CFD, DFM, FEA and the rest of the pointless math but I am not a CAD expert or an artist. I can put together weldements, skids and industrial things but surfacing is next level shit. When I need something to be rendered in high quality, or have complex geometries (like a boat) I start with a SIMPLE model that I build and then I work with a drafter to get the model correct.

Are you a Modeling expert? What do your renderings look like? What programs do you use? I would love any tips or tricks to get my models looking better. So please share.

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
Aug 3, 2009
Olympia,WA
Name
Brian
Boat
Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies

Never listen to a geotech engineer.

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
You realize that engineering and drafting are not the same thing right? If you want excellent quality renderings you get a drafter to do it. Someone who went to technical school and really knows how to manipulate the program. I can do the CFD, DFM, FEA and the rest of the pointless math but I am not a CAD expert or an artist. I can put together weldements, skids and industrial things but surfacing is next level shit. When I need something to be rendered in high quality, or have complex geometries (like a boat) I start with a SIMPLE model that I build and then I work with a drafter to get the model correct.

Are you a Modeling expert? What do your renderings look like? What programs do you use? I would love any tips or tricks to get my models looking better. So please share.
I’m flipping you shit. I just find the prolific use of the word “renderings” in this thread amusing.

Reactions: South Sounder

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
I've been waiting for someone to notice. But in case you're wondering this was part of my inspiration. I've got a 56 GMC and a 59 Chevy truck. I love the old styling.

853542358_4Dy9F-L.jpg

Fish_on!

Feb 17, 2015
Oly
Name
Ben
Boat
18' Super Vee
I’m still confused on the transition from dead broke struggling to the guy with disposable income and collector cars.

Reactions: Dave's Delta