Small boat builder recommendations?

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Hard Chargin', Sep 18, 2019.

1. Hard Chargin'

Hard Chargin' Fischjäger

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Haha they aren't even rendered, they're screenshots. When its more patched up I might render some good pictures, but I'll be the first to admit that I am not good at rendering. My girlfriend on the other hand can render like a boss.

But you don't have to like the design if that's what you actually meant. You wont hurt my feelings.

2. tacklejacked

tacklejacked Capt./ Ho if I get to drive

Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    I think you should take one of those jobs and then have a custom boat built the right way. We all love to fish, but it's not free.

And your design..that thing will ride like crap..18ft boat with a 9ft beam..ask yourself why it hasn't already been built by someone else.

Hard Chargin' likes this.
  3. mrfish11

mrfish11 "Ice Melter"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    Did we all get hooked in the tail with a 16/0 treble hook? Im starting to think so.

4. Salmon King

Salmon King I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    Everyone on here who runs awesome boats worked very hard to get where they are. They put in the hours for the man and earned the money that now enables us to play. We all started with humble means (I am there with the humble boat at the moment) and worked up slowly. Gotta pay to play.

Hard Chargin' likes this.
  5. Hard Chargin'

Hard Chargin' Fischjäger

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Like I said, I thought everyone was just really nice. I didnt realize it had a situational dependency. What do I need to do fix everyone's skewed views of my situation, make a PSA saying I'm not in need of charity? Just give it time? I don't take advantage of people and I don't really want people to think that I do.

I joined this forum because several people told me you all were great guys and so I did just to talk fishing/boating and all the other good things. And so far I feel that is a true statement, for the most part I've been able to have good meaningful discussions with folks and everyone has been great. I just kinda started posting, maybe I should have started out with my life story...

6. Hard Chargin'

Hard Chargin' Fischjäger

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Sail Cats are made all the time where the beam is close to or over half the LOA. I think they don't make them that wide because no one wants to trailer a 10' wide boat. Why would a wide boat ride like crap? I could see handling differently.

My stabi is the first boat I have owned that wasn't a cat. My last one was 14' LOA and a 6.5' Beam power cat and it handled fine and rode nice. What an I missing?

7. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Here’s a little more advice for ya:

The width is not an issue really, manufacturers keep the to 8’6” mostly for towing. Some manufacturers who have made wider short boats get scrutinized for looks more than efficiency for designing a “boxy” boat.

1) Make sure you have some substantial bank before you waste the time of a hard working small businessman. They don’t have a lot of time to waste on a small margin job.

2) make sure you have some substantial bank because a custom one off (even 18’) is going to exceed $100k.....

3) Did I mention substantial bank yet? Oh yeah, make sure you have the bank to rig this thing if your actually serious about fishing for a living.

4) If this is a reality and not a pipe dream wasting the time of a small business man, then you should seriously consider building larger than 18’, you will have bar restrictions regularly that will prevent you from fishing. You will also need a team if your going to be in any serious fishing tournaments and an 18’ is not big enough. You need to jump up... the extra cash is nominal considering the design and construction costs to start with....

Good luck! Get your ass to work at one of those $100k jobs and build a dream boat.... a couple of years will fly by and you can enjoy going to work because you’re paying for your dream!

8. Hard Chargin'

Hard Chargin' Fischjäger

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Another hour and a half and its still not good. But its a rendering at least @ledbed6b

Untitled_2019-Sep-19_08-19-41AM-000_CustomizedView44590901804.jpg Untitled_2019-Sep-19_08-36-03AM-000_CustomizedView1974127114.jpg

9. Fishwacker1

Fishwacker1 Member

Name:
    Rodney
    Boat:
    Western Quest 27 North River Offshore
    Why in the hell would someone put that kind of money into an 18’ boat?

10. Fog Ducker!

Fog Ducker! Misanthropical member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    4 and counting!
    Was one of those job offers from Mattel?

Ducker!

Hewes OP and Hard Chargin' like this.
  11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    You are getting quite a bit of good advice here. May I ask how old you are? Do you actually have an engineering degree? It is good to have dreams but you have to keep your feet planted in reality to make your way successfully. I would also advise taking one of those job offers, file your custom boat away for a later date and work towards your goals with a positive cash flow. Btw, that design looks like bigger seas would slap the shit out of you by way of the big flat frontal area between the sponsons, I would definitely have a good naval architect look that over before you built it. Good luck in your endeavors.

12. Hard Chargin'

Hard Chargin' Fischjäger

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    I say that about 30 footers all the time.

13. Hard Chargin'

Hard Chargin' Fischjäger

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    I'm 30. And I yes I have a master's. And that's why I started this thread, to find someone to look it over with me.

Thanks for the well wishes, I'll take a job when the right one comes along.

14. Fish_on!

Fish_on! Member

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    18' Super Vee
    I was good with your ideas until you put what looks like a Mercury/Evinrude lovechild prototype on the back!

Also, I think your comparison to sail cats is not a good comparison. Sail cats are not designed to run on both sponsons (unless there is no wind or under power). Sailing is all about rails in the water and putting up as much sail as possible. The cat design allows for stability without a keel (less drag). I’m no navel architect so I might be off on some of my thoughts.

15. scout57

scout57 Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler
  16. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    After studying this thread, I think I understand what you are trying to achieve and have some suggestions. Please be kind and remember that in a brain storming session, there are no dumb ideas!

Put a motor on each end. That way, you will save time and fuel money by not having to ever turn around. This savings could offset the higher expense associated with a custom build and in the long run, save you lots of money! The Washington State ferries don't turn around. They must be on to something!

Also, consider a bow thruster in the middle. (which in this case is any point between bow and stern due to your design length) Often, especially at NB, dock space can be tight. It would be really handy if you could motor to a spot that fits your boat and just use the bow thruster to push the boat sideways. Since your concept is as wide as it is long, the front becomes the side, the side becomes the front and so on.

Review some pictures of the AMC Pacer. It was a helluva great design and although it probably prevented more pregnancies than Norplant, Dr. Snip and the presence of other screaming children in the house, was way ahead of its time. Your concept captures much of the essence of that car. Study it for additional inspiration.

Make accommodations for a removable floor panel mid ship. When oil drilling opens up off the Pacific Coast, you could improvise some type of conversion to turn a shrimp pot puller into a small scale drilling rig. (I've still got to figure out the details for that one, but I think I am on to something!) The problem with current drilling is they use those big rigs which take a long time to set up and lots of people which = lots of money. Keeping it small keeps your over head down and although you might not have the pumping capacity of a bigger rig, your margins will blow the industry's mind.

Please remember that there are no bad ideas here. I understand that some things I suggested might get crossed off the list, but I appreciate you taking the time to consider them. And, don't let some of these fellers get you down. They might be a bit salty, but they have learned a lot through the years and just worry when they see someone pick up a pair of scissors and start running.

Good luck with your project and tight lines!

Odin7

EJ Swanny, Hewes OP, ColdEye and 7 others like this.
  17. Hard Chargin'

Hard Chargin' Fischjäger

Name:
    Andre
    Boat:
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    Its actually a Yamaha 425. But if it ever actually gets built it'll have Evinrudes on the back :). This is the actual rendering. But I dropped the decals and grey-scaled it. saves me memory when manipulating the model

Rend04.jpg

Also I think your point about sail cats is a little off. Look at this bad boy. its not getting up on 1 sponson

alegria-67-fountaine-pajot-sailing-catamarans-mob-6.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  18. BugeaterInWa

BugeaterInWa Fear the Corn

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    Boulton
    I was going to suggest Crozier in PA but then I saw your renderings...

punted coho and Swede like this.
  19. Fireball

Fireball Not so New

Name:
    Bud
    Boat:
    SOLD
    @Odin7 that is funny shit! Thanks for the laugh this morning.

Nick Rudnick, Odin7 and Hard Chargin' like this.
  20. Salmon King

Salmon King I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    Lol!

Actually we are mostly assholes.

Most of these guys would give the shirt off their back to someone in need, but this forum is pretty much the opposite of a self esteem support group.