Offshore Small Boat Big Fish 9/17

keada714

Jun 9, 2012
Los Angeles
Name
Mark
Boat
None
With the amount of big tuna being caught at Tanner, caught a bad case of Tunaitis. Tuna tuna tuna was all I could think about, hell, even dreamt about them. Was able to convince another infected buddy to send it Friday in a Cabo 216. We arrived at the promise land around 830. There was hardly any wind, so we opted to troll the dead flier on a balloon setup. Condition never changed so we kept with it all day. Majority of the fish was metered in 1000-1500' so we kept on that contour line but couldn't get them to go. Typical blue fin amirite?

With the sun setting to the west so did our morale’s. Decided to keep at it, hoping the golden hour would produce. What's another hour, we’re already out here! Around 6, I clearly see a jumbo come right out of the water and inhaled the dead flier. Stunned, I momentary forget to wind it tight. Eventually came around and got it tight! Tag teaming it, we put the wood to the fish brought it to gaff within 20 minutes. The gunnel/rail is ya friend! We celebrated for a bit before making the decision to set up another flier/balloon. The meter was consistently lit up during the entire fight.

We get it out and within 5 minutes, another blow up! I wind it tight and had my buddy take over. He absolutely kills it and brings it to gaff in 15 minutes. It was now 700 and we had two jumbos on deck. Going to need a bigger boat! We called it then, more than enough meat for us and we accomplished what we intended to do! Wrestled these two fish into the kill bag, cleaned up and pointed the bow to east with the biggest grins on our faces. On the way in, couldn't help to think about how lucky we are to have a chance at these magnificent. Got to get it in while you still can, no one really knows how long these fish, or you will stick around for. For those interested in numbers, they taped out to 195 and 202lbs.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
C
cptJB
Question: When you say balloon setup, do you mean a balloon setup with a kite or a balloon only? Thanks.
Upvote 0
keada714
keada714
Just the balloon only. Had the boat in gear and skipped it along the water going uphill.
Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    How much fuel does your boat hold? So you had to bring extra and then you added almost 400 lbs of fish, made the run back in the dark, do you have radar? Costal fog has been an issues for weeks. Good thing our military boats are out and about helping our CG, pretty sure they have an award for you.

Reactions: Capt Devo

Errin

Snorkeler
    Jun 22, 2015
    Santa Barbara
    Name
    Errin
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Hell ya dude that's what it's all about! Stoked to see someone else with a Cabo getting on it with some freakin' balls!

I was able to get a ride on a buddy's boat last week but if not, I would have taken mine out there too. Been to the Snail but not yet to Tanner. If another window opens up I will be there.

People don't realize how seaworthy these boats are and on a clean day you can go anywhere you want.

Nice work!

Upvote 0

keada714

Jun 9, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    None
    Most alive when death lurks around the corner right? Setting jokes aside, it is risky but this was calculated. Fishing and condition was too ripe to not go for a squeeze. Be nice to have something bigger but we just got to make due with what we have. With that said, looking for something bigger: Cortez 22, Cabo 226, Maritime 23 or similar?

Boat has radar, 90g tank and is known to get 2.5mpg with a full load. We carried 28g of extra fuel which was transferred using a 3v battery operated pump after arriving. Secured the two jugs on the top and fished our hearts out. End up burning 85g.

Errin
    Errin
    Fuckin' epic dude love it when people say how "dangerous" it is to go when the forecast is perfect. Enjoy it in your sportfisher or Freeman, glad you can afford that shit cause I can't. Make do with what you got is 100%. It's not like you're in a tin can, these boats are very capable, especially downhill which is where you'd be headed if the weather did turn a bit
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Looks like the rail, a well placed drink cooler, and mild seas are all your friend! Pulled some poundage out of the ocean right there. I was going to joke that the sea level dropped slightly but of course it stayed about the same because of the extra displacement of your craft when you pulled them aboard. Quite the angling achievement!

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

efx

Nov 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
    wow - tanner in a 21.. thats crazy for sure. you nailed the weather window and the fish all at once. awesome fish.......on another note: all of us know that it can go from greasy glass to 3-5 at 6 sec in a half hour when the wind opens up.

Upvote 0

Tifoso

Chinook,halibut,lings,bottom fish,WSB&More!
  • Jul 25, 2016
    norCal (central valley)
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Lou
    Boat
    🚤
    With the amount of big tuna being caught at Tanner, caught a bad case of Tunaitis. Tuna tuna tuna was all I could think about, hell, even dreamt about them. Was able to convince another infected buddy to send it Friday in a Cabo 216. We arrived at the promise land around 830. There was hardly any wind, so we opted to troll the dead flier on a balloon setup. Condition never changed so we kept with it all day. Majority of the fish was metered in 1000-1500' so we kept on that contour line but couldn't get them to go. Typical blue fin amirite?

With the sun setting to the west so did our morale’s. Decided to keep at it, hoping the golden hour would produce. What's another hour, we’re already out here! Around 6, I clearly see a jumbo come right out of the water and inhaled the dead flier. Stunned, I momentary forget to wind it tight. Eventually came around and got it tight! Tag teaming it, we put the wood to the fish brought it to gaff within 20 minutes. The rail is ya friend! We celebrated for a bit before making the decision to set up another flier/balloon. The meter was consistently lit up during the entire fight.

We get it out and within 5 minutes, another blow up! I wind it tight and had my buddy take over. He absolutely kills it and brings it to gaff in 15 minutes. It was now 700 and we had two jumbos on deck. Going to need a bigger boat! We called it then, more than enough meat for us and we accomplished what we intended to do! Wrestled these two fish into the kill bag, cleaned up and pointed the bow to east with the biggest grins on our faces. On the way in, couldn't help to think about how lucky we are to have a chance at these magnificent. Got to get it in while you still can, no one really knows how long these fish, or you will stick around for. For those interested in numbers, they taped out to 195 and 202lbs.

View attachment 1320113

View attachment 1320114

View attachment 1320115
    Wow. Beautiful fish! Way to get it done. 8-)

Reactions: keada714
    Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Mark & his buddy loading up the boat getting ready to head to the tanner. How did you have room for the fish?
    1632177326811.png

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    And people say I have balls... you win, good job, glad it worked out. Just remember... there is a fine line between balls and stupidity

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    If you have a stock tank it should hold either 100 or 109 gallons depending on which advertisement you want to believe. Good job on the fish.

Most alive when death lurks around the corner right? Setting jokes aside, it is risky but this was calculated. Fishing and condition was too ripe to not go for a squeeze. Be nice to have something bigger but we just got to make due with what we have. With that said, looking for something bigger: Cortez 22, Cabo 226, Maritime 23 or similar?

Boat has radar, 90g tank and is known to get 2.5mpg with a full load. We carried 28g of extra fuel which was transferred using a 3v battery operated pump after arriving. Secured the two jugs on the top and fished our hearts out. End up burning 85g.

Upvote 0

Sean Casey2

May 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Sean Casey
    Boat
    Plush Crush
    you guys going again?.......me and friend would love to go and pay gas and shar

With the sun setting to the west so did our morale’s. Decided to keep at it, hoping the golden hour would produce. What's another hour, we’re already out here! Around 6, I clearly see a jumbo come right out of the water and inhaled the dead flier. Stunned, I momentary forget to wind it tight. Eventually came around and got it tight! Tag teaming it, we put the wood to the fish brought it to gaff within 20 minutes. The gunnel/rail is ya friend! We celebrated for a bit before making the decision to set up another flier/balloon. The meter was consistently lit up during the entire fight.

View attachment 1320113

View attachment 1320114

View attachment 1320115
    you guys going again to tanner?.......me and friend would love to go and pay gas and share in expenses

keada714
    keada714
    Not to sure, the itch has been scratched so I am good for now. Especially on a smaller boat.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0