WTB Small Aluminum Skiff - Gregor, Lowe, Klamath, etc.

Discussion in 'Fishing Boats For Sale Classified Ads' started by errock_22, Apr 18, 2018.

1. errock_22

errock_22 Professional Fuel Burner

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Ranger 240 Bahia - "Lil' Mijo" & Triumph 1700 Skiff
    Hi guys,

Looking for a small 14-16' aluminum skiff or similar to get my special needs son out on the water with me.

I want to get this tagged for Lake Casitas and for the occasional trip to the Sierras. I've already got my Ranger 240 Bahia but I hate dealing with the quarantine periods at our lakes. Seems like as soon as the Ranger is cleared at the lake, I want to fish the islands and then the quarantine starts over again if I want to hit the lake.

Here's my ideal rig:

14-16' overall w/ trailer
    20" transom preferred
    15hp or better, 4 stroke preferred.
    Bimini would be awesome.
    Trolling motor and electronics are a plus.

Not having any of the items above is not a deal breaker, simply a preference....most of these are easily added or upgraded.

Let me know if you have one you are looking to get rid of or know if someone who does.

Thanks!
    Eric

EL JEFE and sealskinner like this.
  2. EL JEFE

EL JEFE Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carlos "EL JEFE"
    Boat:
    1988 Arima Sea Sprinter
    Hey Eric!

I just purchased a 15' alum boat for the same reason....to take my special needs son with me on trips to the local lakes. Mine has a 20" transom and a Merc 30hp 4 stroke. I live near DVL/Skinner/Perris so these are my home lakes. 4 stroke was a must.

I want a smaller motor (9.8/15) so that I can lift in/out of my truck bed.... so I have the 30hp for sale.

Here's a Gregor 15 that is near me and I was going to see it but purchased the 15 just before I found this one. Looks clean and appears to have a 20" transom. The walk through is nice too!

If I hadn't found mine, I probably would have purchased this one....

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/d/gregor-chw-51l/6557417650.html

errock_22 likes this.
  3. errock_22

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Awesome Carlos! That looks like what I’m thinking of. Thank you, I’ll take a look!

EL JEFE likes this.
  4. okgene

okgene Newbie

Name:
    Gene
    Boat:
    14' Mirrocraft
    Hi Eric,

Have you ever owned a small aluminum skiff? The reason I ask is because they are very tippy and depending on your sons special needs may not be the most ideal boat.

If you are dead set on getting one, feel free to swing by and borrow mine for a weekend and see if works for you.

I'm not too far in Granada Hills, CA

EL JEFE, Blackfish and errock_22 like this.
  5. errock_22

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Hi Gene,

Very, very cool of you to offer, I dig the BD community! Much appreciated!

Yes, I’ve owned one before, actually a 14’ Mirrocraft, probably similar to yours. I don’t remember it being too tippy, but then again, I was just out of high school, so I was young and spry.....and oblivious.

My biggest concern is safety, a pontoon is the safest bet but I’d be limited for parking storage. I already have my Ranger, which is pretty big and takes up a ton of space. I’m also a bit concerned about loading and unloading the pontoon on my own. I guess my thought was that a smaller aluminum would more manageable. I would definitely put in floor boards and either pull the middle seat or find one like Carlos found with the walk through. He’s pretty good about most stuff and I figured he would sit on a small bean bag when running around so he’s down low. And of course he’d be wearing a life jacket at all times and probably one hand on him from Dad. I’m super protective of my little guy. Lol.

I’ve been thinking about just going and getting into a larger walk through as well. Just looking at options before he gets out of school for the summer.

EL JEFE, Blackfish and sealskinner like this.
  6. repo805

repo805 Member

Name:
    NickN
    Boat:
    Skeeter 2250
    errock_22 likes this.
  7. J Woodman

J Woodman I know nothing

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    15' Gregor Baja Special "Silver Bullet II"
    errock_22 likes this.
  8. Hismosa

Hismosa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    20' Skipjack
  9. errock_22

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Yup. Definitely a scam. I figured it was but called anyway. Ended up email only and the boat was unavailable to view but they were happy to ship the boat to me once I sent them the money. Lol.

I had a field day screwing with them. LOL

Tslayer99, Shon, Blackfish and 2 others like this.
  10. noahfex

noahfex Newbie

Name:
    Noah
    Boat:
    15' Gregor
    I'm in San Diego and in the process of getting my 15' Gregor MX510 for sale. It's been an amazing local skiff, but I no longer have a place to store it, so it has to go.

It's a 1986 hull with a 1986 evinrude 28 spl in good shape, decked with non-skid coated marine ply. The trailer is in good shape too (bought essentially new in 2013). If this is at all interesting to you, let me know and I can send you some pictures.

Thanks and good luck with finding a boat!

errock_22 likes this.
  11. GOFAST88

GOFAST88 WORKHARD-FISHHARD

Name:
    Tyler
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner
    I have an older 15' gregor, A 2013/ new in 2015 yamaha 20Hp electric start tiller with less than 40 hours. The boat has seen better days, I originally bought it for the 18' Galv. trailer it was on but rebuilt it and have a tig welder that I patched the holes with. Not a looker but fishes just fine, Caught yellowtail in it in Demeber off point loma.... I am almost done with the new boat and will be posting for sale soon.... It needs a trailer... Or I have the old Steel trailer my other boat came with to get you home. Ill make you a great deal if your interested.

errock_22 likes this.
  12. bajabum

bajabum Pedo Viejo

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    23 striper WAC 24 skipjack open 15 fisher 19 proline
    I have a 15 ft Fisher for sale.
    40 hp merc. Bait tank fish finder
    Trolling motor. Good trailer.
    $1800

26F67A64-1E88-489F-A529-C6DDC6365A52.jpeg E990E1EF-186C-4C0F-92A6-EEC749AD724E.jpeg 3752466E-5F19-400B-BD67-9CAC9B072C6C.jpeg 2AB81931-6D60-4B47-9E42-2F5BB0944068.jpeg

repo805, errock_22 and Blackfish like this.
  13. EL JEFE

Name:
    Carlos "EL JEFE"
    Boat:
    1988 Arima Sea Sprinter
    Eric-

I also considered a 20'-22' pontoon but was also concerned about the solo launching/retrieving. It is a very safe option.

I decided on the 15' alum boat due to its simplicity, easy launch/retrieve, and lower cost. If it doesn't work out and I decide to go a different route, these boats are pretty easy to sell.

My son (13yo) is on the spectrum but is well-behaved and a great listener. He loves the outdoors!

As mentioned, my primary use will be at my local lakes where waters are calm and flat. Great simple setup for lakes, Sierras, Colorado River, Lake Havasu/Mojave, etc.

I plan on a few safety upgrades.......

1. Flat floors

2. My 15' has the the full beam center seat. I plan on cutting out the center section creating a center walk through. This makes it safer to walk for/aft.

3. Custom bow/stern rails that extend well forward and aft; not completely around boat but close to it (approx 70%-80%). About 12" tall. I think this will help tremendously to prevent any accidental fall overs. The rails serves two primary issues....

A. Increasing height of gunnel to assist in preventing accidental fall overs
    B. As a grab rail when maneuvering around boat

You and your son are welcome to come by and check out my boat and take a ride in it if you would like. DVL is only 15 min from my home!

errock_22 likes this.
  14. errock_22

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Those are all great ideas! Thank you for your offer Carlos, much appreciated!

His geneticist at UCLA, actually doesn't know what he has. We know he has extra material on the short arm of his 18th chromosome. There less than a dozen cases like this that the medical community is aware of, so no one really knows how it will manifest as he gets older. We think it's similar to Tetrasomy 18p. He was born without the "flap" over his esophagus, so it was a straight pipe to his stomach and the acid actually "welded" his tonsils and vocal chords together because of scar tissue from the acid as an infant. He's had a few surgeries to repair but he is unable to speak. He seems to have grown out of his seizure phase, he'd go stiff and stop breathing....the scariest part was that his body would forget to kick the breathing back in after he stopped seizing sometimes, we would have to give him mouth to mouth occasionally until he kicked back in, it's been a good 5 years since his last one, but talk about sleepless nights for a while!! He's 12 but he's tiny....looks like an 8yo, which is ok for now, since I can handle him when he gets ornery. LOL.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and offers, I'm going to look at a boat later this morning and will report back with what happens.

EL JEFE likes this.
  15. okgene

okgene Newbie

Name:
    Gene
    Boat:
    14' Mirrocraft
    I agree 100%. If you were dead set on going aluminum, I was going to suggest a bayrunner, since most already come with what is listed above.

Awesome! Keep us updated. And let us know if you need any help!

16. charliecat

charliecat on a fishin' mission

Name:
    charlie cat
    Boat:
    14' -50' , bunch of boats
    Hey Eric, another option to consider is a Livingston skiff. The 14' is really stable, and is pretty deep (except for the raised area down center between sponsons). I feel really safe with my daughter in there, more so than other skiffs I've had her in due to the depth and stability. They also are really light, so doesn't take too much HP to push them, and easy to trailer, drag around etc.
    You are a brave man, and a good dad. Best of luck brother.

errock_22 and repo805 like this.
  17. sasabune

sasabune Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    20 Ft Dory
    I'm also interested in a skiff. Can you send me pictures and price.
    GoFast88,

I'm also interested in a 15' Gregor. Can you send send pics and price? Thanks,

David

goleta_loc likes this.
  18. errock_22

Name:
    Eric B.
    Boat:
    Update - Found the one!

Picked her up this AM. 17’ (with an 8’ beam!) Triumph skiff, only 140 hours on the Yamaha and just pristine. Sounds like it was only ever used at Big Bear lake. Tons of deck space, almost no keel so it’s super stable. More than I initially wanted to spend but split it with my brothers, they have little ones too, so it worked out great!

Stoked! Now to prep for inspection!

640E1961-F140-4786-B29E-268DC29FA666.jpeg
    E909CDD5-625C-4714-AE4B-103C1633C6C1.jpeg
    618D2A7D-D28E-4B61-B8E4-31243E7BFE79.jpeg
    5CA6A950-133A-4042-90B6-E55FF3C0AB15.jpeg
    FA9E0FF2-5679-40CC-B288-FC9E4217B500.jpeg
    59BA0416-101B-44FC-A427-AA17C6A99DAC.jpeg
    97CD57DA-0ACF-40DB-847F-826C7BF791DE.jpeg

19. EL JEFE

Name:
    Carlos "EL JEFE"
    Boat:
    1988 Arima Sea Sprinter
    Nice find Eric! Your boy already looks stoked! You two are going to have great times!

After looking at how stable that platform is.....you got me thinking!!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    errock_22 likes this.
  20. okgene

okgene Newbie

Name:
    Gene
    Boat:
    14' Mirrocraft
    Nice! Congrats!

Do you mind sharing how much you paid?