No.... But Willing To Learn
Aug 19, 2008
Lake Forest, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
18' CC Holiday (RIP 1999)
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a small 2 speed lever drag reel for a Tilefish Jr for live bait fishing. I have heard plenty of people’s opinion about how a star drag is a better option than a small 2 speed. Honestly after fishing the Penn Fathoms for several seasons I am kind of set on buying a 25N LD2..... But was wondering if anyone has some advice on other reels I should take a look at before making a purchase?

I am not an Avet fan and love the Penn Torques but don’t want to drop the coin on one but the 30LD2 would be the way to go if I did long range trips

Does anyone have any experience with the newer Daiwa Saltist with the lower gear ratios?

I have an old Torium 20 that has a lot of mileage and memories but it feels bulky in my hands after fishing the newer smaller reels.

I plan on filling the reels with mostly braid and fishing with a short mono topshot.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
I am fishing a 25 nld2 on my 7'6" Tilefish Jr. and absolutely love it. Haven't hooked anything really big on it yet, biggest is 60# BFT and the rod/reel combo handled it easily. Very nice casting, loads of power for this line class, excellent balance.

Reactions: tresbien
Upvote 0

Let em eat 74

Jul 12, 2016
Anaheim Hills
Name
Kevin
Boat
Whichever1is leaving
I personally prefer the 15ld2 for fishing #30 topshots (which is what I’m assuming you want to do with a tilefish jr. ). The smaller spool size and lower IPT makes it a real grinder but there’s capacity o plenty with the right braid.
If you’re looking to go small then go all the way.

Upvote 0

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
I have the blue black saltist 35 LD2, and I think it’s a nice reel for that class. I love my fathoms but I feel like there is a little more friction cranking on fathoms than on the saltist. Also, I’m a huge fan of the old saltist 30t, and this reel has a similar shape/feel. I don’t love the handle, it’s an EVA ball type handle. I put this reel to the test hooking a 100+ yft or bigeye on a jig 9 oz jig a couple winters ago in the Gulf, with 50# mono topshot on 65# braid. I had the drag too light for that fish and in retrospect I should have dialed up the preset when the fish came up on top of the water. But instead I relied on thumbing the spool quite a bit. The fish finally came to gaff after like an hour, but went berzerk and swam off with a gaff in its side when one of the deckhands tried to stick it, breaking the leader in the process. When it was all said and done I had rubbed a 1/4” size patch of skin off the outer edge of my thumb from the way I was cranking the handle. The low gear was ideal to bring in a big fish, but fishing with a 40# rod I had no control as it got close to the boat. I’ve caught some 20# yft on bait with this reel also and they were easily taken care of. The only other issue with these reels is in the early production run the female threads for the reel clamp posts are easily sheared (there is a thread about this, and I’d think Daiwa would have resolved it by this point). The fix for that is just some loctite. Anyhow, hope that helps. Enjoy the search!

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
As noted by several posters, the "15XN" size [Fathom or Torque] is a viable choice for 30/40 applications.
Probably not quite enough capacity for 40/50 work, but it holds 400/50 braid with no topshot, so its your call if that is enough.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
If you like the torques so much, check the classified pages here, I think i saw one floating aorund for 400-450 NIB if im not mistaken, 30 sized too.

Reactions: bigmack
Upvote 0
May 8, 2020
Point Loma
Name
Troy
Boat
Fun Ones
I hear ya. My metaloids and cavallas have been solid, never owned an andros though.
How are those metaloids holding up for you? My brothers company charted the Vag for a 5 day a couple years back and got a 12ii for everyone... only 3 lasted by the end of the trip and we ended up using the boats gear the entire time. Mike was a pretty stand up guy for letting a bunch of guys use his gear like that.

Upvote 0

tresbien

Aug 19, 2008
Lake Forest, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
No problems except switching out the drag cams for the new ones.
I have an Andros 12 that took a dump on me but the drag from strike to full was linear

on my 5 the drag immediately jumps from 9# to 13# the second I move the lever just one click past strike

I heard there were two drag cams I like the linear progression more

how much did it cost to have the cams changed?

Upvote 0

tresbien

Aug 19, 2008
Lake Forest, Ca
Name
Matt
Boat
Nothing, just dropped them off and okuma did it for free.
Thank you for the info Kimbo!

I really like my 5 but am waiting for it to go out on me... my 12 lasted two yellowfin last year on just one trip... I have been meaning to take it in for service but after getting discontinued kind of forgot about doing that

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
Although I really like Avets, and personally would choose a Gen 2 JX 4.6 single speed for this type of duty, for a "cost-effective" 2-speed in the 30-40 line class, my choice would be the Fathom 25NLD2 or the Shimano Speedmaster 12II. I've fished, and have been impressed with, both. Both fit quite a bit of 65# braid. Ford or Chevy at this point...

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    Accurate Dauntless 500N or 400. They are pretty compact I fish those with 80 or 65 spectra to long flouro leader anywhere from 25 to 50 lbs. I even have a little 400N that is fun as heck to fish for schoolie tuna and yellowtail on a 10 foot rod. I've paired it with a LB baby Ulua and a Seeker CSW1008 using a soft undercast it can lob a bait a long ways to quickly get the bait away from the boat and in the zone.

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    What is going on at Okuma? Unless you buy a Makaira the other lines of lever drag reels have problems. Is it a design problem or quality control of the manufacturing process? I am looking at another Makaira 20 size reel to buy but I am concern the if they are having a quality control issue that it might carry on over into the Makaira line at some point. I will be buying a Penn VISX for sure.

Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    Star drag is great for schoolie fish but for the 40-100lb grade that's been eating sardine on 30lb and a #4 circle hook and nothing else the baby 2spd lever drags are the absolute best. A shallower spool and 50lb braid works well here as there's less spool inertia and smaller line which translates to baits swimming significantly better which for that application becomes very impactful. I use a Talica 8 and 10 for this and really like it, but a Fathom 15LD2 or one of the baby Accurates would be good options. As for gearing I tend to think the higher gearing is beneficial, as you're limited on drag by the line test so torque is a non-issue and with a shallow spool you want a higher gear to still get a decent pick up when the fish runs at the boat or wants to give you line.

Upvote 0

big buddy

Sep 18, 2016
    Seal Beach
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Parker 2520XLD
    I paired a Accurate BV-400 with my Tilefish Jr. I felt like it was a good fit, very light and powerful combo for 30#, light 40# if needed.

Reactions: broton
    Upvote 0