ratherbefishin

DaBluKru
Apr 2, 2008
Clinton
Name
Dale
Boat
DaBluKru on the Outadablu
Okay, I am thinking about Tuna now. I saw the T-squared presentation last month and forgot to ask a question.

When the tuna is brought in, it is spiked, bled, then iced.
Does it go into the slurry before the ice?
If so, how do you mix your slurry? Is it freshwater or saltwater?
What do you guys with smaller boats <24 use for a slurry?

I have two kill bags, but do I still need to bring a chest to use as a slurry or maybe the in-floor fishbox?

I have a fishbox on the transom I was thinking of using as the box for bleeding.

Am I on the right path?

Thanks,

christensenreid

user and abuser
Sep 10, 2009
Olympia, Wa
www.christensenincgc.com
Name
Reid
Boat
Triton 2690 "Out of the Blue"
i think your on the right path. I use my infloor fish box and use ten gallons of ice to five gallons of Sea water. Not really sure if this is the proper ratio but it seems to work. Slurry before the ice

Tower Todd

Number #2
May 2, 2006
Touring the Pacific Ocean at 12 knots
Name
Todd S.
Boat
274' Long Range
You sound like you are on the right path.

The slurry is a saltwater and ice mix, approx. 50 / 50. As the ice melts, you add more to keep the slurry really cold. You will need to look at your boat and space available to figure out your exact process. Catch them, spike them, bleed them, cool them. The fastest way to cool them is to go in the slurry first as it quickly helps to bring the core temp of the tuna down, then we transfer them to the ice hold. You process may vary slightly depending on boat size, space, etc.

TT

FLASHER

Don't Fight the "Flasher"
Aug 21, 2008
Marysville
www.Qcove.com
Name
Ken
Boat
Raider 24'
RBF,

Your boat and mine are set up in a similar manner. I use the fish box in the back for bleeding the fish as this drains out the back of the boat quickly and I can flush it out with the live well pump.

The floor box is for the tuna slurry, and I have a kill bag for final ice down. Figure a way to mount the kill bag in the back of the boat if at all possible, maybe the swim step.

i am all about bloody decks, but my boat is not self bailing, so I try to keep the blood to a minimum on the deck.

Flasher!

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
If your fishing is slow enuf and your slurry box big enuf, you can cool them down wicked fast and then use your kill bags/coolers for just storage to maintain keeping them cool. We've had fish come out of the slurry after 20-30 minutes, ass cold. This way you can fill your kill bags/coolers with already cold fish and not have to have them full of ice. Still, you'll need ice in them to keep them nice and cool, but not as much. Granted, the best sould be to had ample room for a big slurry and tons of ice n your kill bags too. But, it doesn't take as much ice to keep something already cool. A good slurry is wonderful.

I hit Wally Worl or Home Depot, etc for 40-50# bags of water softner salt (the bigger chunks) and use about 1/2 of that for our slurry. I also add a block or two of ice to our bleed bucket to help start the cooling.

timsh

King Cracker
Apr 28, 2010
Sammamish, WA
Name
Tim Shoultz
Boat
Hewes Ocean Pro 220
Dale, we have the same issue to figure out. I think like Flasher said, we will bleed in the back box with some ice since our boats are not self bailing. If we have time, we will probably try to clean some fish on the water and wrap the meat and put it in the slurry to save space, though I get the feeling this is not overly realistic.

That little in floor fish box is not really that big though. Fill it with slurry, and I'm not sure exactly how many fish we will get in there. The first time out will be total insanity I have a feeling. Really looking forward to needing to figure this problem out.

BTW, how many pounds of ICE would you guys recommend heading out with on our first trip? I don't want to run out with half of what I need.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
Vacancy
As much as you can hold and still have room to fish. We keep our bleed bucket on the offshore bracket to save cockpit space.

Cleaning fish aborad is not very easy at all on smaller rigs. I've tried it at 24' and under. No good. The time spent looking down, bouncing around, etc., and PUKE. Plus, warm fish are not as easy to clean to frozen. And, DO NOT get water on your filets. You will make them very unpleasant. If you're going to cark, put them in ziplocks. Now, you could just whack the heads off and toss into the slurry or storage container. That would save you quite a bit of room. Then, just figure you're going to condemn the first couple inches of your filets to the canning pile. Not too big of a deal. But, I certainly don't want my steaks from an area of the fish that got "wet".

FWIW, when we fished my buddy's 22' Trohpy, we kept 10-15 fish each trip. that was plenty for 2-3 of us.

FLASHER

Aug 21, 2008
Marysville
www.Qcove.com
Name
Ken
Boat
Raider 24'
I agree with the above. My deck box is approx 6'L, 2'W and 18-20" deep. I put a 1/2" foam liner on the inside of the box for when I go for Tuna. I have put around 20 Tuna in it before to transit back home (used slurry while on the water). I also used lots of other coolers when we had 30+ fish days. There was plenty of ice in it and I did not have a kill bag at the time. I am really happy that I have one to start off the year with. I am trying out the new Kool Zone cooler from my competitor Kone Zone. We will see how it handles the slaughter.

Flasher

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Plastic trash can on the swim step to do the bleed for me. I do not have those fish boxes on the stern.

Can holds about 6 or 7 fish then into the coolers. Ken has the foam in his floor fish box. That should help to insulate the slurry from the warmer ocean water. Aluminum transfers the heat real well.

jskfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 2, 2006
Federal Way, WA
Name
John Kapica
Boat
Pursuit 315OS
I usually brain, bleed, & go directly into shaved ice due to space concerns. Make sure to have plenty of shaved ice and pack the fish well and the fish seem to be fine. Firm, not red, no fishy smell at all. and always excepted for exchange from Merino's. So am curious how much better they could be with slurry first...something new to try this year. jsk

Easytosee

Jun 9, 2009
Olympia/Washington/USA
Name
Chad Burgess
Boat
25ft Bad Ass Mother Fucker- Market Price
i think your on the right path. I use my infloor fish box and use ten gallons of ice to five gallons of Sea water. Not really sure if this is the proper ratio but it seems to work. Slurry before the ice
Reid how much ice do you usually bring on your tuna trips? I know they say 2lbs of ice per lb of tuna but how many do you usually catch?

WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
Aug 26, 2008
Kitsap/Westport, WA
Name
Ken
Boat
Prowling for a Cat
One thing to keep in mind is the kind and temperature of the ice.

If you can get shaved/flake ice, this without a doubt is the best way to go as it stays colder much longer.

If you have to buy cubed/party ice, try and find a freezer that keeps the ice below -10 degrees as it will take a lot more to melt than ice that was just dumped from ice maker and is barely 30 degrees, won't last long at all.

I have never added salt to saltwater because the mixture that I get when dumping enough salt water in a cooler full of shaved ice until its like a thick soup is so freaking cold it's hard to handle with bare hands.

Shaved ice, a pain to get, but well worth the headache in the long run.

WD.

bajadan2000

Dec 13, 2005
Vancouver, Wa.
Name
Dan
Boat
Shamrock Predator, "Bay Dreamin'"
A couple more techniques for saving ice.

1) After bleeding the Tuna, gut and gill it. See the link below for a fast and easy how-to instructions... This technique works without exposing any of the good meat to water.

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/oregon-fishing/109747-how-gut-gill-albacore.html

2) Have two wet boxes. One box is the ice slurry everyone has mentioned. However, before placing the Tuna in the ice slurry. Place the Tuna in a container with circulating sea water for 10-15 minutes. A bait tank works great if not in use.. Circulating sea water will cool the hot fish down nicely and save on ice. Specially if you gut and gill it first..

timsh

King Cracker
Apr 28, 2010
Sammamish, WA
Name
Tim Shoultz
Boat
Hewes Ocean Pro 220
This thread is really helpful. Really can't thank all of you enough. There is a ton of great information on here. That video (link Dan sent) was really good. I think I could use it in slow motion though :) Cheat Sheet for me might look like this:

Pack 15 - 20 bags of ice on boat.

1.) Catch Fish
2.) Stun & Bleed Fish (10 min)
3.) Gut & Gill
4.) Run fish in box with circulating sea water (10 - 15 min)
5.) Put fish in slurry (15 - 20 min) - Slurry Mix 50/50 Salt water & Ice
6.) Remove head (to save space on small boat), possibly wrap exposed meat in plastic.
7.) Pack on shaved ice.

Now Cornfed needs to send out another update for water temps. :) I've never been accused of being patient.

easydoesit86

nubbie
Apr 6, 2008
lacey wa usa
Name
maarten
Boat
22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
I was putting half a tote of shaved ice on my boat each trip, I haven't YET been lucky enough to need it all. That's about the same as sixty bags of ice from Red Apple. I was wanting to plug my boat with twenty fish, but nines been the max so far so I'm going to cut back one cooler until I get up to Todd and Tommy status. Last year we lioned some fish out on the water, but it was on a 35' boat.

FLASHER

Aug 21, 2008
Marysville
www.Qcove.com
Name
Ken
Boat
Raider 24'
Agree... 40-50 bags of ice if you are getting it at the store. or wait and buy a tote of ice in WP for around $50-100. the cost is not that much more, and you get a full tote of shaved ice. If you do not need a full tote, you and your buddy boat can split the tote.

Flasher

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
May 10, 2010
White trashville
Name
Garrett
Boat
21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
Anyone ever try dry Ice to make a slurry? Or in the bottom of a kill bag under water ice?

O

oldfisherman#1

Does anyone else add some ice cream or rock salt to the slurry, I do and have found it really gets the slurry very cold and keeps the tuna colder..
Right now Im in hawaii, I was down at the docks watching the boat come in and noticed they most of them had the fish & ice in big zippered fish bags.....

jskfish

Aug 2, 2006
Federal Way, WA
Name
John Kapica
Boat
Pursuit 315OS
dry ice plus water equals bang:) and a bunch of popping and smoke,,,actually pretty cool but probably not good for the fish hold

Easytosee

Jun 9, 2009
Olympia/Washington/USA
Name
Chad Burgess
Boat
25ft Bad Ass Mother Fucker- Market Price
Agree... 40-50 bags of ice if you are getting it at the store. or wait and buy a tote of ice in WP for around $50-100. the cost is not that much more, and you get a full tote of shaved ice. If you do not need a full tote, you and your buddy boat can split the tote.

Flasher
Where do you get a full tote Ken? That would be SWEET...

FLASHER

Aug 21, 2008
Marysville
www.Qcove.com
Name
Ken
Boat
Raider 24'
It can be hit or miss around Westport. The commercial boats get the first pass at the ice and if the commercial boats are working, then do not count on getting the ice. You are gambling on the ice in Westport. if you can get in the day before, Merlinos often has ice you can buy. I have filled coolers there many times in the past. I think they were $1.50 per scoop and the scoops are snow shovels from my recollection.

Flasher