Slug fist

Discussion in 'The Bass Fishing Club' started by Capt. G, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Capt. G

Capt. G BD Outdoors Contributor

Name:
    Capt. G
    Boat:
    黒潮No.2
    The 90's saw a huge trend in the FW bass market with soft plastic "stick baits", such as the "Sluggo", the "Fin S Fish", and later the Senko.
    Recently, many saltwater bass anglers have realized the wide range of applications of these types of plastics for Calico, Sand, and S.Bay Bass.

Mostly the larger slugs are rigged with big, offset wide gap hooks, often with some weight on the shank to get the baits down a bit, and impart a different darting action. Sometimes those using these big plastics for the first time, with the 7/0 to 12/0 matching hooks, are concerned with the "hooking" factor, but this quickly diminishes when they see the way even moderate size calico bass try to destroy these baits.
    You have to admit though, even regular size (5 inch) swimbaits with exposed jighead single hooks often get short bit.

Here is a way I fish slugs with one, or even two treble hooks, mounted on the top of the slug, so it does not get hung up that badly in the kelp or boiler rocks.

[​IMG]

Take a leadhead (out of your forearm) and cut off the hook.
    The one below is only 3/8 oz.; sometimes I go down to a quarter ounce for smaller slugs. A big slug with 3/8 oz. up in the head will still dart nicely, and sink very slowly.

DSC09013.jpg
    Take some 100 lb. spectra, and tie your fav knot to the collar of the jighead. I hit this with waterproof superglue (Japanese stuff, you can find at Performance Tackle), and it will not slip a bit.

DSC09014.jpg
    I then tie a Perfection Loop to the other end, and coat the knot, and the line down to the first knot. This makes the line lay nice and straight.
    I locked this one in the "up" position. I do just the opposite when I am dragging sand for sandros, or halibut.

DSC09011.jpg
    "The Glue"--I have used this stuff for plastics, and spectra to fluoro joints for the past several years, and it is good stuff. It comes with two snap on tops, that enable you to put a tiny amount of glue where you want it, without spilling.
    I used to go through a ton of "Zap a Gap" (good stuff!) most of it wasted as it dripped off my swimbait, onto my leg, then finally the deck.
    This little bottle is "idiot" friendly, which is good for me.

I will donate two tubes of this glue to the September Photo Contest winner. So, hit up Jesse if you win (or he will used it to glue his boat together).

DSC09017.jpg
    Anyway, put a few drops on the cut jighead, and insert into the head of your slug. A "dry run" before you do the real deal is advised.

Finally, you simply loop on your treble hook, and you are good to go. This loop to (hook eye) loop rigging makes it easy to change hooks. I also like to rig a double hook with this rig. I lock the double hook in place by inserting a toothpick into the back of the bait, then spreading apart the double hook, and clamping it down on the toothpick nub.

DSC09003.jpg
    Finally, a quick way to "tune" your slugs.
    I cut the hook part off again on a barbed shank worm hook.

DSC09006.jpg
    I make a "tail" by wrapping some mylar tubing (or feathers) on the shank of the hook. Coat with superglue.

DSC09008.jpg
    Then you can simply insert it into the tail of your slug. You can coat the shank with superglue--but then you will not be able to remove it without ripping the plastic. Since the worm hooks have a big, round eye--I insert into the bait...
    and then run a piece of #100 mono through the plastic and the eye, thus locking it in place.

DSC09019.jpg
    The finished weapon. The slug is one that Big Pancho poured for me. I like the way these dart--and I plan on using them on Japanese Seabass when they return to the river mouths next month.

DSC09020.jpg
    Denek made me some cool spinnerbaits--this is the skirt off one.
    It looks like it just may make a good slug tail...

Try to keep the manscaping to a minimum, and life will be great.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. venturarodlure

venturarodlure ventura rod and lure co

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    DD-637,DMS-30
    The lure's look pretty cool. That Japanese superglue kicks ass. I've fixed my kids glasses about a dozen times with it already...He likes to roughhouse wih them on then say"Daddy, I broke my glasses....again."

3. WAR

WAR @WARBAITS

Name:
    AA
    Boat:
    KEY WEST BR196 / HOBIE PA14
    I really like this

4. robertdalton

robertdalton if it crawls it falls

Name:
    robert dalton
    Boat:
    ocean kayak
    looks good

5. TakeMeFishing

TakeMeFishing Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    wow capt you are sooo full of it.. with ideas that is.

6. fongster

fongster Newbie

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    15 Gregor Bassomatic
    You evil genius, you.

7. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Capt.
    great tip and tutorial pics..

i have seen a similar almost identical rig but instead of cutting the hook on the jighead you put the braid line on the exposed hook once installed in the swimbait and then tie the linea to a treble hook and put it the rear.
    I think with this set up you can avoid to cut the jighead hook, but I really dont know if one or the other will have more success in catching fish.

(I tried to find the picture of that rig but I couldnt find it)

8. Capt. G

Capt. G BD Outdoors Contributor

Name:
    Capt. G
    Boat:
    黒潮No.2
    I think either one would do just fine. But...
    [​IMG]
    If you don't cut the jighead, after pushing the point thru your skin (again), how are you going to get it out of your arm?[​IMG]

9. Father Ken

Father Ken Douchepickle

Name:
    notnek
    Boat:
    nothing
    Good stuff as usual . Yes , I still fish in the ocean .

10. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    JAJA..yep you're right, I missed that point

11. saltyballs

saltyballs Newbie

Name:
    karl
    Boat: