SLUG ALBACORE GOING OFF

Aug 4, 2004
California
Name
JB
Boat
Matson Inc.
Got off a overnight trip out of Virg's Landing in Morro Bay. All the fish were in the 26 to 30 lbs. Some blue's were caught on another boat in the 40lbs range. Seas were absolutely flat calm.....sort of scary it was so flat.
Had a great day, and wish I could of spent one more day in those waters.
They are definitely biting and there was a crap load of fish out there

eat'm_raw

person of interest
Mar 7, 2006
Santa Barbara
Name
Mike
Boat
15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
I've been thinking about going Saturday night or Sunday night out of Morro. Did they have bait? Mostly troll fish, or some on plastics/megabaits/whatever? I assume you were on the Princess, what'd you think of the boat/crew?

Bud B

Fear the Kraken
Dec 5, 2004
Name
Bud
Boat
Spotfin
There's also some 60# plus BFT running around there as well.

Aug 4, 2004
California
Name
JB
Boat
Matson Inc.
There catching live bait, if available, before each trip. This trip had no live but I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there, they were a few that would eat dead anchovies. The swim baits & mega baits were doing the most damage.
As far as travel, I'll I can say is we left at 1:00am an were fishing at first dawn and getting them.
The crew, Captain's Brad and Frank are excellent. Sergio and Shawn on deck were very helpful. All around an excellent day on the water!

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
The fish are 20 to 30 up off san simeon 7 to 10 miles off the beach.
Virgs is charging180 a trip with no live bait.
The fish are close enough they have caught a couple on the way back from codding.
I think due to the local fish & no bait,they are charging a bit steep on the tickets.

Mike

eat'm_raw

person of interest
Mar 7, 2006
Santa Barbara
Name
Mike
Boat
15 ' Hobie Power Skiff
Alex, pretty certain that the OP was on the Princess. The Black Pearl is running some of the trips, too.

As for price, they did dial it back from $200+. Personally, I don't know of anywhere else that I can fish albies for less $ at the moment, at least not with a good chance of getting some. From the OP, it sounded like lack of bait wasn't really an issue. The fish being close is a BONUS, not a reason to charge less. That's some serious water up there - you won't find them running 65+ miles like a SD overnighter. They're still burning fuel the whole trip - it's not like they anchor up on the fish.

Not trying to start anything, just posting another perspective. And still planning to get on Sunday night!

-Mike