Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    Got out today on the water and had quick & easy limits of nice size Copper & Vermillions, had a nice Ling on but came unbuttoned near the boat. Fished the deep reef so it was tough to get my presentation at first but after going thru a couple jigs I found the right one and it was bang bang every drop. Most of my limit was in the 4lb-5lb and dwarfed the others on the boat who were using conventional RF methods, and so much fun fighting them with this light rod.

OGFEC3L.jpg

NgwpyRT.jpg

jcGWbT7.jpg

HZefCUj.jpg

A couple observations on slow pitching RF:

- Casting up current to get more jig time per drop only goes so far, they normally hit when you're vertical. I was trying 30 yd casts and it didn't matter from 10 yd casts

- Don't hesitate to try jigging all the way up to the boat. I was giving line at times to keep it near the bottom but hit a lot of nice fish jigging halfway up to the boat, and these were Coppers that are supposed to hug the bottom. You never know what you'll hit mid water and it paid off today.

Upvote 0

jowo

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 9, 2004
    Woodland Hills
    Name
    Johnny
    Boat
    Sold
    Nice! Jigging master jig? I got a nice ling on one of those in orange crackle a couple years ago. My PB until the 20 pounder on the sabiki a couple months ago

Reactions: Proteus
    Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Very nice. Always wanted to get on to some rockfish on a SP setup. The snapper and grouper here aren't easy to fool...

Reactions: Proteus
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    Nice! Jigging master jig? I got a nice ling on one of those in orange crackle a couple years ago. My PB until the 20 pounder on the sabiki a couple months ago

JM UFO jig, very underrated & economical, 1st time using, impressed.

Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    Sinks really slow, though

I had that problem when I give too much slack line, the single eye UFO version cut through water little better comparing both. Grab them if you like them, looks like they might discontinuing it......just saying:-)
    0FE52A10-74D5-4F2F-8044-09FB4ABC02DF.jpeg

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    too much slack line,

Crucial info there, if you don't control the descent with your thumb the jig will flutter and take longer to get down to the bottom. It actually goes down faster than if you took your thumb off the spool, strange but true.

Reactions: Explorer1
    Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    Crucial info there, if you don't control the descent with your thumb the jig will flutter and take longer to get down to the bottom. It actually goes down faster than if you took your thumb off the spool, strange but true.

that’s why I find easier to use conventional over spinning. Maybe there is another way for spinning gear in dropping jig..... but couldn’t figure it out LOL

Upvote 0

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
    Coto
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    none
    Way to go. That should have got the other anglers attention.
    Interesting about the descent on these lures. I don't own any so can't comment. I do know that some of the shapes out there really only work well in shallow water or no drift situations.
    Jeff

I misread your posting about the descent on these jigs. I have found thumbing the spool is helpful with pretty much all of the SPJ jigs. It actually speeds up the descent.

Another interesting twist on this is the new Ocea jiggers with the Fall lever. It features preset's for the spool tension. And should you actually want the jig to flutter all the way down it can be set for that. Another line of thought of fishing the entire water column.....

Last edited:
    Reactions: robn
    Upvote 0