Slow Pitched on the Old Glory for BFT to be ridiculed and ignored.

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
OP guilty of a "Bitch and Run". Made a bunch of complaints, then never came back to any of the comments, suggestions and questions.

Reactions: Cubeye
Upvote 0

Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat
Sunbird Neptune 230
I’m an advocate for the fun of light rod fishing but just because the rod can handle it doesn’t mean it is the right rod. I realize how strong those slow pitch rods are but the problem you run into is you have a sub 7’ rod doubled over when hooked up. When you have to go over someone you only have about 3’ of rod sticking over the person and his 8’ rod that’s going out from the boat and it’s a pain. Also if the fish swims under the boat in the corner you’re toast trying to keep that line away from the hull. I’m spoiled on my own boat with lighter setups and not having to worry about that stuff

Upvote 0

mike mitchell

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 25, 2017
Monterey
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
18 Sfringari
I am pretty sure you can't drink a beer and SPJ at the same time. Also, it doesn't look like fun if you have bad shoulders. Good luck to those who SPJ. Finally, it looks like I finally found a use for all my KENCOR's.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
I am pretty sure you can't drink a beer and SPJ at the same time. Also, it doesn't look like fun if you have bad shoulders. Good luck to those who SPJ. Finally, it looks like I finally found a use for all my KENCOR's.
Place beer in shirt pocket,
place straw into beer,
Drink Beer.

Reactions: Noms
Upvote 0

Michael L.

Aug 25, 2019
California
Name
Michael Leon
Boat
Hobie Outback
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I see guys try to SPJ and they get a lot of heat from the crew, but I feel some of it is justified. If we are flat falling for BFT I absolutely would not be using 30# braid. One tail impact from a bigger fish and its going to pop like dental floss. If you want to slow pitch on cattle boats you need a rod rated for at least 150# braid(10 power I think), anything less is asking for trouble. I dont have a SPG setup but I have zero issue getting bites on a 200# braid rated rod and a Makaira 16, there is absolutely no need to use gear lighter than this for jigging tuna.

Upvote 0

Michael L.

Aug 25, 2019
California
Name
Michael Leon
Boat
Hobie Outback
If you go on a tuna trip and try to sack up an incidental rockfish (so you can take SOMETHING home) you're going to be ridiculed. I'm sorry but that's just the way the culture is.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
If you go on a tuna trip and try to sack up an incidental rockfish (so you can take SOMETHING home) you're going to be ridiculed. I'm sorry but that's just the way the culture is.
I think Galtagh is going to ignore your ridicule, but extra points for trying.

Maybe you'll be the one who coaxes him out of his hidey hole.

Good luck, and don't hold your breath.

Reactions: jiggermyster
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Like the other guy said, “You had me at the rod”

Unique name, is it a goofy rod, like Goof ish? Or is it Goo Fish?

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Like the other guy said, “You had me at the rod”

Unique name, is it a goofy rod, like Goof ish? Or is it Goo Fish?
It's unfortunately a result of bad translation. The brand is supposed to be pronounced Gooooo Fish (long O sound). They spelled it Goofish, resulting in, well . . . you see the problem.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
About 15 years ago, fishing Spring 7-8 day trips on the Angler, a couple of the guys had purchased the Butterfly Jig “System” from Shimano. Started with some red braid, Power Pro solid, and I think a Bimini Twist to attach the Shimano Fluorocarbon Leader, tied onto the jig and some assist hooks. As they were getting ready for the next day, they rolled out their jig bags, picking out what they were going to rig up. I asked, how much does all that cost? Top to bottom, around fifty bucks.

Next morning we were dropping our YoYo jigs on the Yellowtail at Cedros. They were having fun with their gear, too and as one of them hooked up, he fought the fish for a few minutes and the knot in the braid broke. I showed him my 6X Jr, see the, $6.00.

Brian Kiyohara was running the trip. He first started, good naturedly of course, calling them the Butterfly Boys. Towards the end of the trip, it became, “The Butternuts” We witnessed the beginning of the the Slow Pitch Revolution. Who knew? :)

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2022
The Free State Of Florida
Name
Tom Duggan
Boat
N/A
I'm with Benny on this, your going to catch a lot of flack for being the od ball slow jigger. Until you catch fish! I know, I did. I still catch flack, whats that goofy thing with 4 hooks? Thats a ice fishing rod! Ya, Ya... Then I hear down the rail that Ice rods on again!.... He got that on the ICE rod?... At the end of the trip I'm standing over full cooler's, and I've got my friends calling to tell me my pictures made it up on the boats Insta/FB feed.

For those of you who are new to slow jigging, or are just I'll informed. The Rod has nothing to do with it! All the Rod doe's is work the jig. It's not for fighting the fish, thats what the reel is for. I use the Tai Chi method for larger fish. Pointing the Rod tip at the fish, keeping a slight bend in the mid section. Cupping the reel in one hand, and holding the handle in the other. Extending my arms, legs, back shoulders forward/up, then retract, reeling while on the next extension. In this method you control the fulcrum, and mechanical advantage is retained.
Also as a very experienced Japanese Jigger I know would say, " Slow jigging is to be met with a open mind, it is not only about light lines. It is a balance between depth, current, structure, and fish." In other words don't be button holed into running only 40lb, in your situation 50, 65, and even 80 may well be suitable.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2022
The Free State Of Florida
Name
Tom Duggan
Boat
N/A
It's unfortunately a result of bad translation. The brand is supposed to be pronounced Gooooo Fish (long O sound). They spelled it Goofish, resulting in, well . . . you see the problem.

Ha.... As If we needed more room for ridicule. By the mistranslation of GooFish into Goof Ish. I already recive a odd look when people ask of my strange metal lure with 4 hooks, and I reply Its live Bait!

Although Goo Fish rods are low in the SJ rod hierarchy, and I dont personally like, use, or own them. I have MAD respect for them as I have seen them Cany Cane on 50+ AJ's landed in 500+ feet. And the rods abused beyond anything expected of them many time's over. They are a respectable entry-level option.

Reactions: F.I.S.H.Y
Upvote 0

djek81

Jun 4, 2020
los angeles
Name
yellowfintail
Boat
h&m landing
Long time ago when I had no idea what I was doing, my gear was also ridiculed and made fun and I got yelled at on an overnighter BFT trip on the Old Glory. It wasn't a SPJ setup but it was small a saltist levelwind filled with cheap Amazon braid on a $30 fiber glass sabre rod from Big 5 lol. I landed a 50lbs and 65 lbs while many of those with expensive rods, Accurates and shiny VISX 16/20 got zero fish. Thanks to Chappy, the cook, who gaffed my fish. Was I lucky? maybe... but it was a memorable ride back home.

Upvote 0

Latest posts