Slow Pitched on the Old Glory for BFT to be ridiculed and ignored.

Tom Honaker

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
Just came off the most miserable 2 Day trip of my life on the Old Glory out of H&M and felt compelled to share my experience with this particular boat. I bought new, the Accurate 500N BV2 SPJ & spooled with 500 yards of 40lb power pro maxcuatro and mated it with my new Goofish 250-350 max 6.6ft spiral wrapped rod. We started and left San Diego and headed north to the San Clemente ridge at around 220 feet. I put on a 250g rigged red crab flat fall with a 200lb mono leader and the deckhands on the Old Glory immediately began putting down my setup with one arrogantly exclaiming “I have been doing this for…..years and you know how many of those I seen break in half, at least 10!” The other one laughed and wished me good luck and disappeared somewhere on the boat? I ignored his input and dropped to the bottom and immediately began getting repeatedly hit with very small rock fish, even pulling up a keeper tree fish than never made it to the box cause apparently it got lost? In any event I hooked and fought a 40lb BFT bringing it to the surface only to have it break off. Coincidentall, they acknowledged my rod was bent and I had a monster, but not once did they check or even ask if help was needed, isn’t that their job? In any event this was only a small example of unprofessional treatment on this 2 day trip. There were two Asian gentlemen who were familiar with SPJ and it’s begging in Japan. They were encouraging and supportive and disappointed with the deckhands dismissive and insulting commentary. I am convinced this fish would be on the boat if I wast alone In this battle on the Old Glory. Never ever will I go on this boat ever again.

View attachment 1322752
Did they gaff your treefish?

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
What is it with this slow pitch craze anyway ?

pacificscout
pacificscout
That kind of rod and jigging hurt my wrist joints.
I fish those pretty jigs on my 7ft rods with mono. They sure are pretty. And catch fish.

Bugs Bunny GIF
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

mogambosquid

Oct 31, 2004
Carpinteria, CA, Chiriqui, Panama
Name
Greg
Boat
22' panga, 24' diesel inboard
Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    San Clemente ridge at around 220 feet. I put on a 250g rigged red crab flat fall with a 200lb mono leader. ignored his input and dropped to the bottom and immediately began getting repeatedly hit with very small rock fish, even pulling up a keeper tree fish than never made it to the box cause apparently it got lost?

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    As noted, there is a time and place for everything; most important consideration are the other anglers aboard.
    Nobody does more "non-standard" stuff than I do [the crews are used to it!], but am always mindful of how I may effect the rest of the passengers.
    That said, there are a number of SD boats that are quite familiar with SPJ.
    As long ago as June 2020, I was loading up on the Shogun, and the crew spotted my SPJ gear [enough to share], and remarked that they were very happy to see somebody coming onboard with it.
    The captain even made a 2-hour "SPJ stop", in very close at Alijos Rocks, and we let all passengers and crew give it a go on jacks, cabrilla, triggerfish, and more.
    Last summer and this summer again, I did quite a bit of SPJ on the Vagabond, Pacifica, and Searcher, [and explained it] so the crew of those boats are familiar enough with it to not dismiss it out of hand, but are also familiar enough with it that they may advise against it for a given set of conditions.

RESIZED Fixed Steve long fall.jpg

Last edited:
    D
    Dave Coopman
    Nice tail’ Steve 👍
    Upvote 0
    A-K
    A-K
    Would you mind sharing the set up in the picture. Thanks.
    Upvote 0
    tunanorth
    tunanorth
    Reel- PENN Fathom FTH8XNSD
    Rod- PENN Carnage III "SPJ series" CARSPJIII250C80ML "Long Fall" model
    Line- 30-pound Berkley X-9 braid
    Wind-on- 20 feet of 40-pound Big Game mono
    Leader- 4 feet of 50-pound Pro-Spec fluoro
    Jig- Williamson Koika 200gr
    Hooks- 5/0 Owner Twin Dancing Stinger [fore and aft]
    Boat-Vagabond
    Location- Guadalupe Island
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Don't worry about it. You will only impress the deckhands by bringing the fish in 10 minutes. Some of the deckhands never heard of a Black Hole or a Synit rod. They are just not used to people owning a $500-$800 rod. I have the same Black Hole rod as the video.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    If he listened to the crew right out of the gate, He probably would of hooked a bunch!! How many he actually would of landed would be another story on his side, People not following their lines, The crew missed the gaff shots, People wouldn't move for me, I kept getting sawed off, Etc.

Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    A couple of points, and my two cents. For whatever it's worth.

The point of this is that most people are set in their ways with tried and true methods. When something new comes along they are reluctant to get out of their own way. It's frustrating, but the only thing that will counter these types of interactions is performance. If you put fish on the boat, consistently, they will have no choice but to take notice and to accommodate.

The set up you brought on the boat is more than capable of handling a 40lb tuna. It's capable to handle a 100lb tuna.

My advice is to keep at it. Hone your technique. Enjoy your time on the water. Use these interactions as teachable moments rather than just take whatever bullshit they throw at you. Plus, it's a fishing boat - a little shit talking is part and parcel of the game. But you know what trumps shit talking? Putting a 100lb tuna in the box.

Stay with it. Refine your tackle. Refine your technique.

It's way more fun to have the last laugh. Trust me.
    Benny nails it .
    Can add..... personally would keep riding the Old Glory... keep your cool and like Benny says,,,, It's always more fun to have the last laugh !!

Definition of a Pioneer..." He's the guy with all the arrows in his ass"
    Walt

Upvote 0

Yr4m2pro

Oct 21, 2020
    Corona
    Name
    Damo
    Boat
    None
    I read through all of these comments and just have to laugh. It reminds me of when I raced RC cars. Some people that do this all the time are so gung ho about what equipment others should use for their “hobby”. For most of us, that’s what this is, a hobby. Some like expensive gear and trying out new things because that’s what makes it fun, while others like winches on broomsticks (not to be confused with wenches on broomsticks) because they just want to land the fish ASAP and get as many on board as possible. Some people hate Shimano gear or “coffee grinders”, for whatever reason and look down on people who use it. I’ve seen the snobbery across all facets of the sport. All it does is drive people away from the industry, which results in fewer R&D dollars. I’ve been on boats where flat falls were new and the only thing catching and the deckhands/uneducated salty dogs were questioning the use, citing some reason it was not the right choice. Now, they are common place on any long range trip. Deckhands on the cattle cars are not the end all to the industry and truthfully, there is no motivation for them to try new or innovative technology because their driver is fish on the boat. They provide a service and just like eating out, sometimes the service is bad. If your fishing etiquette is in order(following your line, over under, etc), who cares if you use a barbie pole if you’re putting fish in in the boat. Keep doing you.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper

pure comedy, I always look for gear that contains the word ‘goo’
    I thought it was Goof'ish!!!
    >
    40 lbs. is not a monster.

Did you catch another tuna, besides the one you broke off?

P.S. Congrats on the tree fish.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    I always get a kick out of people laughing at me as I set up my gear before the trip. Most just come up and make slight jabs at me but I can hear them talking amongst themselves and laughing. Usually, after a few hours and a few fish on deck they curiously start asking me questions. Towards the end of the trip I end up handing off several fish and walking guys though successfully fighting them. Shoot, sounds like you had a bad day I would go back on the OG and redeem myself.

Mocruz1200

Probably on a panga somewhere down south
    Apr 17, 2013
    midway city
    Name
    Moises
    Boat
    None
    ive never had a positive experience with deckhands on an american boat. its why i dont go out anymore. I am much more comfortable on a panga with just me and my buddies.

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    ive never had a positive experience with deckhands on an american boat. its why i dont go out anymore. I am much more comfortable on a panga with just me and my buddies.

WOW ! REALLY ? Yes there are some salty crews here in So Cal but as the guy up top would say "come on man". These guys work long and hard hours often dealing with people that are less than experienced and not very pleasant to deal with. This is especially in true current times, with everyone wanting immediate gratification all while refusing to put in the time and work required. I can't tell you how many times I've been out this year with guys coming on board with gear they either borrowed or just bought talking about how they are ready to catch a cow tuna. Then seeing the same guys get off the boat bitching moaning and blaming everyone and everything. Rant over.
    Aside from the preparation, planning and experience, here is what you need to do. Show up early to the boat with a case of energy drinks and a box of snacks. Introduce yourself with the crew and get to know them. Regardless if you agree or disagree, listen to what they are saying and be prepared to make adjustments. Throughout the trip talk to them by name and thank them regardless of how you did on the trip. At the end of the trip thank them again and leave a healthy tip. I guarantee you they will appreciate it and remember you. Hell I've even been offered free swag anything from shirts to boat re-rides.

mutu0069

CEO of my own Domain
  • Oct 7, 2006
    los alamitos
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    whatever floats
    You’ve been fishing on the wrong boats. Definitely have had way more positive encounters than negative

The boats I regularly fish treats my group as good as it gets.

Last edited:
    Reactions: fishwithwill
    Upvote 0

Fish613

Almost A Member
  • Nov 21, 2020
    New York
    Name
    Yochanon Sofer
    Boat
    None
    WOW ! REALLY ? Yes there are some salty crews here in So Cal but as the guy up top would say "come on man". These guys work long and hard hours often dealing with people that are less than experienced and not very pleasant to deal with. This is especially in true current times, with everyone wanting immediate gratification all while refusing to put in the time and work required. I can't tell you how many times I've been out this year with guys coming on board with gear they either borrowed or just bought talking about how they are ready to catch a cow tuna. Then seeing the same guys get off the boat bitching moaning and blaming everyone and everything. Rant over.
    Aside from the preparation, planning and experience, here is what you need to do. Show up early to the boat with a case of energy drinks and a box of snacks. Introduce yourself with the crew and get to know them. Regardless if you agree or disagree, listen to what they are saying and be prepared to make adjustments. Throughout the trip talk to them by name and thank them regardless of how you did on the trip. At the end of the trip thank them again and leave a healthy tip. I guarantee you they will appreciate it and remember you. Hell I've even been offered free swag anything from shirts to boat re-rides.
    ONE MILLION PERCENT!!!!
    I do exactly as you said back here in the North East.
    I get royal treatment from the captain and crew.
    I don't even call it bribery. - I call it common decency and respect .
    If you respect them they will respect you back.
    Plain and simple.

Reactions: Noms and Mr. DRE
    Upvote 0

Mocruz1200

Probably on a panga somewhere down south
    Apr 17, 2013
    midway city
    Name
    Moises
    Boat
    None
    so i have to shower them with snacks, drinks, and "healthy tips" to get basic service? OK lol. i dont think wanting "instant gratifictation" and people with tangled up lines and losing yellows to seals while the deckhands are talking with their buddies on the bow go hand in hand. i went on sport boats since about 2006 till probably 3-4 years ago. every time i go i regret the experience. but now i go down to baja, and even better, own a kayak, so i dont have to ride these boats anymore. its that simple.

Upvote 0