Slow Pitched on the Old Glory for BFT to be ridiculed and ignored.

Galtagh

Aug 1, 2021
Southern California
Name
Jim
Boat
N/a
Just came off the most miserable 2 Day trip of my life on the Old Glory out of H&M and felt compelled to share my experience with this particular boat. I bought new, the Accurate 500N BV2 SPJ & spooled with 500 yards of 40lb power pro maxcuatro and mated it with my new Goofish 250-350 max 6.6ft spiral wrapped rod. We started and left San Diego and headed north to the San Clemente ridge at around 220 feet. I put on a 250g rigged red crab flat fall with a 200lb mono leader and the deckhands on the Old Glory immediately began putting down my setup with one arrogantly exclaiming “I have been doing this for…..years and you know how many of those I seen break in half, at least 10!” The other one laughed and wished me good luck and disappeared somewhere on the boat? I ignored his input and dropped to the bottom and immediately began getting repeatedly hit with very small rock fish, even pulling up a keeper tree fish than never made it to the box cause apparently it got lost? In any event I hooked and fought a 40lb BFT bringing it to the surface only to have it break off. Coincidentall, they acknowledged my rod was bent and I had a monster, but not once did they check or even ask if help was needed, isn’t that their job? In any event this was only a small example of unprofessional treatment on this 2 day trip. There were two Asian gentlemen who were familiar with SPJ and it’s begging in Japan. They were encouraging and supportive and disappointed with the deckhands dismissive and insulting commentary. I am convinced this fish would be on the boat if I wast alone In this battle on the Old Glory. Never ever will I go on this boat ever again.

E58FDCF4-E2C3-4BDB-BB09-F9B7F6126FB9.jpeg

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom
Boat
None
Ya lost me at Goofish. Had to look it up. Nice reel but ya might want to pair it with a different rod.

G
Galtagh
Loved the rod and the fight. Going to use it again if the opportunity arise to jig the bottom Like this last Trip. This was my 1st experience with SPJ fishing using this type rod and it was a lot of fun absent the dismissive attitude and uninformed opinions and comments.

Gafff

Fishing is life
Aug 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Working on it
Just came off the most miserable 2 Day trip of my life on the Old Glory out of H&M and felt compelled to share my experience with this particular boat. I bought new, the Accurate 500N BV2 SPJ & spooled with 500 yards of 40lb power pro maxcuatro and mated it with my new Goofish 250-350 max 6.6ft spiral wrapped rod. We started and left San Diego and headed north to the San Clemente ridge at around 220 feet. I put on a 250g rigged red crab flat fall with a 200lb mono leader and the deckhands on the Old Glory immediately began putting down my setup with one arrogantly exclaiming “I have been doing this for…..years and you know how many of those I seen break in half, at least 10!” The other one laughed and wished me good luck and disappeared somewhere on the boat? I ignored his input and dropped to the bottom and immediately began getting repeatedly hit with very small rock fish, even pulling up a keeper tree fish than never made it to the box cause apparently it got lost? In any event I hooked and fought a 40lb BFT bringing it to the surface only to have it break off. Coincidentall, they acknowledged my rod was bent and I had a monster, but not once did they check or even ask if help was needed, isn’t that their job? In any event this was only a small example of unprofessional treatment on this 2 day trip. There were two Asian gentlemen who were familiar with SPJ and it’s begging in Japan. They were encouraging and supportive and disappointed with the deckhands dismissive and insulting commentary. I am convinced this fish would be on the boat if I wast alone In this battle on the Old Glory. Never ever will I go on this boat ever again.

View attachment 1322752
I saw a guy doing that the other day on a full day, hooked up to a 25 lb bft that ran him around the boat and tangled everyone up because the rod and reel werent compatible with cattle boat fishing. Maybe if your on a private boat and have all the time and maneuver room, it might work. Needless to say he lost his fish also. Im sure the small rod and reel can handle a decent fish the way they are made, but are def not made for a sold out cattle boat.

G
Galtagh
The boat was at 2/3 capcity. The fish did not take me around the boat. The gear performed better than expected. Been out 10 times this year with 8 trips overnight up to 3 days. Each boat has its plus and minuses, but this trip took the prize for overall misery. There are enough other issues in addition. The SPJ issue was just a small highlight of my negative experience.

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Maybe the deckhands saw the size of your rig and sized up the situation. Still no reason for them to ignore a helping hand. Unusual.

Reactions: Galtagh
    G
    Galtagh
    Thank you for recognizing That it wasn’t about landing the BFT, unlike some other comments to the post. Yes! It was unusual and fell well short of any minimum expectations based on my 30 years of fishing experience.
    Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    You do not take a knife to a gunfight.
    You can fish a trout rod if you want but bluefin will take you to task for it.Deckhands politely let you do your own thing knowing what the end would be,they see it all the time.You would be a more successful fisherman if you listened to them a little more and advertising a little less.

G
    Galtagh
    The point is there was nothing polite and the meaningful advice didn’t occur. At the end of the day the commentary was wrong, and the Rod performed great. Guess if the deckhands already decided my fate in advance, it still felt like a conscious effort or worse an intentional one.
    Reactions: tony38
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Hismosa

• Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Unless you were yelling out for gaff and they didn't come gaff the fish I'm not sure what you want the deckhands to help assist with. Hold your hand?

And was this your first time fishing? Ball busting on boats is normal.

Last edited:
    G
    Galtagh
    10th trip this season and no problems with friendly bantering with crew and other anglers. Real problems with rude arrogant comments coupled with laziness and disrespect.
    Upvote 0

Yellowtail Dan

• Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    So your fish broke off and it’s the deciles fault? How so? Did you need help with a 40lb BFT doing its death circle and we’re hoping they’d take the rod and finish it for you?

You come off as bitter because you lost a fish at gaff. Like that never happens.

Reactions: bullyo and stairman
    G
    Galtagh
    You missed my point! Losing the BFT was incidental to Everything else that led to this scenario. It wasn’t my 1st BFT nor will be my last, I merely expected much more from this outfit and found a significant difference in treatment based on my other experiences on other boats like the San Diego, Spirit of Advenure, Ranger85, New Loann, Condor, legend, Excalibur.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

CrustyOne

Legend in my own mind
    Mar 7, 2017
    Back in SoCal
    Name
    Crusty
    Boat
    minidrifter
    When someone ridicules your equipment the best reply is to land some fish on it. That'll shut 'em up. If you can't land some fish and others are, maybe rethink your equipment choices.

G
    Galtagh
    I am happy with the gear and did land fish on it. In this case it wasn‘t my gear that failed me, it was the lackluster crew who clearly had Predetermined my failure and made zero efforts to help when they were needed and available.
    Upvote 0
    J
    JamesZ
    Gotta actually know what you're doing to do that though. This guy is fresh on the boat this year.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    If you want honest input from long time hard core fisherman we will give it to , I would tell you that your rod your talking about is cool but it the wrong application for this kind of jigging it not meant for one of the strongest most aggressive fish in the ocean. The deck hands get tied of dealing with guys who bring the gear it waste everyone time. And in the end it hurt boat counts which really matter. So I can see why they were acting like that to you. Is it right no and it not cool but it the way it is. If you had a strong set up you would have a better chance at that fish. A Lot boat would have giving you a hard time. Deck hands see too much ridiculous crap when it come to this BFN fishing. I wouldn't let it bother you so much.

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
    Jan 10, 2010
    Junction City OR
    Name
    Rod Lathrop
    Boat
    24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
    I like CrustyOne's answer. The New Lo-An Deck Hands laughed at Aaron fishing a Shimano Trevala with a Black Dog jig on a tiny Avet reel... But they all Loved it when Aaron landed 2 BFT around 100# each.

How did this 40# BFT break off at the surface? Did the 40# braid fail? Knot/Connection? Certainly not the 200# bite leader?

When it came to the surface was it next to the Boat? Were you calling out Deep Color, then Gaff? The Deck Hands absolutely want that fish on the deck every bit as badly as you do.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Very unlucky to only hook 1 BFT on a 2-Day trip. Hopefully next time!

billa

Sep 27, 2007
    Bend, Oregon
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    20' NorthRiver.
    Most people look for and appreciate the advice of deckhands. Even if it is not what they want to hear maybe. Their sole purpose in giving advice is for the passengers to be more successful. They fish almost every day and know from that experience what does and what doesn't work. How many days a season do you fish? I think you need to grow a pair and quit whining. If the one guy said he had seen several rods like yours break, it was probably because he has. Also complaining after the fact that they were not attentive enough to wipe your sensitive little ass while fighting a smaller size tuna is stupid.

Sep 10, 2016
    Seal Beach
    Name
    Rob
    Boat
    Boston Whaler Justice
    Not sure about you guys. I love it when the guys talk shit.

I get a kick out of it. Makes the trip fun.

Most of the time they know what they're talking about because they do it every day lol.

I will say, guys that don't fish the right gear more often then not cause other people to lose a fish...

At the end of the day, no one died & you got to fish.

Also, Clay runs a good operation.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    When your on a fish and need a hand , you call them ' need a hand here " they do have other customers on the boat as well !
    Speak up , they are their to help you !

I don't think you were being neglected !

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    The other thing is he was maybe thinking you might be handing the rod over if you got stuck on a fish and was thinking hell no I not fighting a big blue on that thing.... lol

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    A couple of points, and my two cents. For whatever it's worth.

About 9 years ago I first started doing SPJ in Florida. The beginning was a grind. Every boat I would go on would tell the same type of things that you heard - except they didn't say how many of the rods they saw break, because they never saw these types of rods before. After a few years I finally mustered up enough courage to see what I was made of on a long range boat (well, our version of it anyway). I showed up with three SPJ rods and dedicated reels. All of the anglers on the boat, besides me, were armed with the standard 8-9ft telephone pole rod, and equally big reels, heavy line and big hooks. Not another jigging rod in sight. They were confident my stuff would break.

First guy that saw me bringing them on the boat literally laughed at me. "What are you going to do with those things?" The first mate on the boat called them my "Barbie rods." Another guy says "haha I can't wait to see you hook into a good mutton on those things!" as he shook his head. It was non-stop on the way to the fishing grounds, and it sucked. I kept saying, "we'll see how it goes."

I went on to be in the top 2 for high hook on the boat and had the two largest fish caught, which were each large enough to win the fish pool. I didn't touch a bait on the trip. Actual laughter turned into nervous laughter as they realized it worked, and they were wrong, "What are you going to do with that thing" turned into "where can I buy one of those things."

Flash forward 9 years. Last trip I was on that boat I counted 17 rods with my name on them. Everyone had jigging tackle. Hell, if you didn't jig you were in the minority. The mates knew me by name before I got on board, even the new ones.

The point of this is that most people are set in their ways with tried and true methods. When something new comes along they are reluctant to get out of their own way. It's frustrating, but the only thing that will counter these types of interactions is performance. If you put fish on the boat, consistently, they will have no choice but to take notice and to accommodate.

The set up you brought on the boat is more than capable of handling a 40lb tuna. It's capable to handle a 100lb tuna.

My advice is to keep at it. Hone your technique. Enjoy your time on the water. Use these interactions as teachable moments rather than just take whatever bullshit they throw at you. Plus, it's a fishing boat - a little shit talking is part and parcel of the game. But you know what trumps shit talking? Putting a 100lb tuna in the box.

Stay with it. Refine your tackle. Refine your technique.

It's way more fun to have the last laugh. Trust me.

Beer-Jig-Repeat
    Beer-Jig-Repeat
    I started "Butterfly" jigging about 15 yrs ago. I remember boarding the Royal Star and the crew were curious, in a good way, to see how I fared with my jigging setup. We went to Alijos Rocks. Caught 8 25#+ yellowtail on the 1st day of fishing. Many other anglers asked questions and I did my best to explain. I was new to this and let that be known. People are set in their ways and ridicule anything new. Keep jigging!
    Upvote 0
    Beer-Jig-Repeat
    Upvote 0

Gafff

Fishing is life
    Aug 26, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Working on it

View attachment 1322752
    The og is a great boat with a great crew, that rod is not meant to be on that kinda trip! I have a real heavy spinning setup i font even bring out there due to the going against the grain. Leave the jigging and spinning rods at home when going for these beasts! Thats florida style or private boat gear, although in florida they dont really have the cattle boats loaded with people like we do. These trips arent meant to fight the hell out of a fish while everyone around you has to duck and dodge for you, its about smashing these hard to catch at most times fish as fast as you can because the bite might shut off at any time. Just my opinion.

Upvote 0