benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Why not just use diamond jigs? They catch everything and can be jigged how ever you want.
Diamond jigs are a great option. I generally recommend people getting into jig fishing to use them. The way I think about them is that they are the Toyota Camry or Honda Accord of lures. They're reliable, time tested, and they work.

The reason for not using them exclusively is because different jigs have different hydrodynamic properties, which can be matched to the conditions of the day. As the angler becomes more skilled with their jig selection, their catch rate will generally increase.

Striker Tackle

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 7, 2017
Venice, La
Name
Jimmy Russel
Boat
29' Seavee
Diamond Jigs have been catching fish for years and will probably be around for a long time. Check our Striker Tackle diamond jigs.

fullsizeoutput_33ec.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_33ed.jpeg

Reactions: jonhjax

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
Ocea Pebble stick might work. Looks good for higher current situations.

wwen

Jig & Pop
Aug 19, 2014
La Costa/Carlsbad
Name
Edward
Boat
One day
None of the jigs you mentioned are good for fast current. Look at SFC Arc and Short-Messiah as well as the Sea Falcon Deep Neo. These are better options for you.
Benny what properties of jigs/shape make them good for fast current?

What about little to no current? I get that you want more flutter and hang time with no current but I’m not sure what a particular shape will do to the action of the jig

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Very generally: longer and narrower is better for faster current.

Little to no current, generally, wider jigs with harder/sharper edges.

You don't necessarily want more flutter and/or hang time just because there's low current. This is something that catches fisherman, not fish. Just having a wildly fluttering jig is counterproductive to what you are looking to achieve. You need to have repeatable falling action so that you can accurately match the jig to the conditions.

My game plan when fishing is to:
1) find what jig(s) will keep me most vertical;
2) of those jigs, find what action the fish seem to be keyed in on;
3) of those jigs, now see if you can dial in any specific color, keeping in mind what you see is not what they see.

I'm always narrowing down. This is a game of increasing your odds for a strike strategically, not just fishing and wishing.

Keep in mind that just because a jig is long and thin doesn't mean it falls fast, and just because a jig is shorter and fatter that it will sink slowly. There are ways to manipulate both jigs in the water to change your presentation (overloading the rod, using lighter/heavier jigs for the situation, different rod actions, etc).

This is why I always default back to the importance of the time the angler spends on the water. Really knowing your tackle and lures will help tremendously.

wwen

Jig & Pop
Aug 19, 2014
La Costa/Carlsbad
Name
Edward
Boat
One day
Very generally: longer and narrower is better for faster current.

Little to no current, generally, wider jigs with harder/sharper edges.

You don't necessarily want more flutter and/or hang time just because there's low current. This is something that catches fisherman, not fish. Just having a wildly fluttering jig is counterproductive to what you are looking to achieve. You need to have repeatable falling action so that you can accurately match the jig to the conditions.

My game plan when fishing is to:
1) find what jig(s) will keep me most vertical;
2) of those jigs, find what action the fish seem to be keyed in on;
3) of those jigs, now see if you can dial in any specific color, keeping in mind what you see is not what they see.

I'm always narrowing down. This is a game of increasing your odds for a strike strategically, not just fishing and wishing.

Keep in mind that just because a jig is long and thin doesn't mean it falls fast, and just because a jig is shorter and fatter that it will sink slowly. There are ways to manipulate both jigs in the water to change your presentation (overloading the rod, using lighter/heavier jigs for the situation, different rod actions, etc).

This is why I always default back to the importance of the time the angler spends on the water. Really knowing your tackle and lures will help tremendously.
Great post, Benny. Makes a lot of sense to me. The continuous fine-tuning of jig selection and particularly the different presentations you can do with slow pitch is what keeps me addicted! My brother and I almost always fish together and when we used to fast-pitch jig more often it would be very apparent that different jigs/tempos would work better depending on the day even with the same species. So far, I have found that slow pitch to work a lot better on less aggressive fish.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Do you have specific type and color of jigs for different species(snapper, grouper, AJ)?
Not really. I've seen just about every fish caught on just about every color. Remember, what we see up here is not what they see down there as the visible light spectrum changes dramatically as you descend through the water column. The only thing that I've noticed that makes a bit of a difference (in my opinion) is when a lure reflects UV light. Not necessarily glow, but that when UV light is shown on it, that light gets reflected. Pinks, oranges and white tend to do this best. Otherwise, something shinny that is fluttering will get bit if presented correctly.

Barraccuda

Oct 19, 2019
Croatia
Name
Josip
Boat
nostromo 21
Not really. I've seen just about every fish caught on just about every color. Remember, what we see up here is not what they see down there as the visible light spectrum changes dramatically as you descend through the water column. The only thing that I've noticed that makes a bit of a difference (in my opinion) is when a lure reflects UV light. Not necessarily glow, but that when UV light is shown on it, that light gets reflected. Pinks, oranges and white tend to do this best. Otherwise, something shinny that is fluttering will get bit if presented correctly.
Thank you! Some Japanese anglers are saying that changing jig weight is more important than color and type. What do you think about that?

Barraccuda

Oct 19, 2019
Croatia
Name
Josip
Boat
nostromo 21
what do YOU think ??
Well i think that it's all about presentation.... i used to change the jig types and colors hoping for strike.... This is another angle which i didn't consider...i have never took same jig with different weight...

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
The weight and shape of the jig will affect how it moves in the water. Action and presentation are more important, in my opinion, than color. I very often use the same shaped jig in different weights and also modify the rod/reel cadence to achieve the action I want depending on the conditions of the day.