Slow pitch jigging rods

ais

May 19, 2018
Jacksonville
Name
Ais
Boat
CB
SZ in Jax has no slow pitch products excepts Shimano flat fall jigs and Daiwa SK jigs. I will inquire about ordering though. Thanks.
@mrbenny, how about the Major Craft Giant Killing rods? Get your hands on one of those ever? They are listed as Grade C on anglers-secret, not great grade but listed, so figuring it is true spj rod?

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Oct 1, 2007
7706 covington dr tx 77095
Name
miguel
Boat
contender
High end from Temple Reef is the Levitate series. Comes in powers 0 through 4 (from lightest to heaviest).

Economical from Temple Reef is the Gravitate Series. Comes in powers G1 through G3 (lightest to heaviest)

I won't go into other companies rods due to my affiliation with Temple Reef, and I stand by the Levitate as having the best action in the industry.

Reels:

High end reels:
Studio Ocean Mark L50hi S2T ($1300 USD)
Studio Ocean Mark L30hi Limited ($1000 USD)
Marfix N4 SJ Works ($1500 USD, if you can find one)
Shimano Torsa 16n with Studio Ocean Mark Handle (~ $1100 if you can find one)

High Mid Range:
Jigging Master Monster Game PE3 or 5N ($650-750, has audible dog)
Accurate DFS Slammer 400n, 500n, 600nn (~ $550-600 USD) [<< I use these]

Mid range reels:
Accurate Valiant 500n ($450 USD)
Shimano Ocea Jigger 1500nrhg ($425 USD)
Shimano Ocea Jigger 2000nrhg (~ $475 USD)
Daiwa Saltiga 35N-SJ ($475 USD)
Daiwa Saltiga 15 ($400 USD)

Budget:
Shimano Torium 16hga ($200ish)
Daiwa Saltist 15h and 20h ($200ish)
Okuma Metaloid 5n ($200ish)

I've either owned, own, or have used just about every reel on this list, so I have a pretty good idea of what's what.
that is your own opinion

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
"Slow pitch jigging " is a term used incorrectly too often. So to really talk about rods, a deinition is important. I slow pitch for bottom fish and the rod action is more important in that situation. If dropping a flat fall for tuna any rod will do better than a SPJ rod. If you want to play guitar don't buy a violin.

• Haha
Reactions: cubanfisherman

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
😆
I Iive in Houston, Texas just invite me

View attachment 1119944
I wish I knew you were in Houston. I used to go through Houston( on my way to Galveston) every other week when I was stationed in fort hood. Galveston jetty has some big red drum and good sea trout fishing. Houston has a bunch of hardcore salt guys!

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
Walnut, ca
Name
Jonathan c
Boat
one day
I've used the Saltiga and Saltist reels. Daiwa makes a good product. I believe they are going to be coming out with some re-vamped saltwater stuff next year or in 2021. Only issues with the reels that I know of is a couple of handles sheered off some JDM Saltiga 35n models, which is a bit weird, but it happened to a buddy on two of them. Well, same reel, just two handles. I would venture that it was a one-off occurrence because I haven't heard about this happening to other models.

The smaller Saltigas and smaller Saltists don't really put out as much stopping power as I like, and they're star drag, which I'm also not a fan of for slow jigging. But, if it's for you, then I'm sure it will be similar quality to what you would expect.
Hi Ben,

I have a question regarding using lever vs star drag for slow jigging. It seems to me the Daiwa and Shimano all had a jigger style reel in star drag but you mentioned that the high end JM, Accurate, som are all lever. What is the benefit for lever in slow pitch jigging?

Side question: without spending $1000 on one, what do you think of the new Okuma Alijos 5nii for this application?

Thanks,

Reactions: rexor_rn

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
It's mostly personal preference with lever versus star drag. I personally prefer a lever drag, but it's important that it's a full drag curve - meaning that as soon as the lever is pushed forward the drag engages. There are some lever drag reels that really only begin to put pressure on the spool at the strike setting, and then the drag backs off to almost nothing if you are below strike. The importance of this is so you can fish a relatively high strike setting, then back off if the fish comes off the bottom but still maintain control of the line.

I think the Okuma Alijos 5nii is a great option for slow pitch. It has a full drag curve, the internals of the Makaira, a pretty comfortable and secure handle and a longer arm than most sock reels at 90mm, which is a nice bonus. It actually casts really, really well. The two speed mechanism in it is easy to engage and to turn off, and it holds about 400ish yards of 30lb braid (actually a little more). The only variable with it is durability. It's very new to the market, so longevity would be something to look at since it just hasn't been around long enough to know how it's going to perform over time. First impressions though, it's a really good little reel.

Reactions: rexor_rn and Joda

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
Walnut, ca
Name
Jonathan c
Boat
one day
It's mostly personal preference with lever versus star drag. I personally prefer a lever drag, but it's important that it's a full drag curve - meaning that as soon as the lever is pushed forward the drag engages. There are some lever drag reels that really only begin to put pressure on the spool at the strike setting, and then the drag backs off to almost nothing if you are below strike. The importance of this is so you can fish a relatively high strike setting, then back off if the fish comes off the bottom but still maintain control of the line.

I think the Okuma Alijos 5nii is a great option for slow pitch. It has a full drag curve, the internals of the Makaira, a pretty comfortable and secure handle and a longer arm than most sock reels at 90mm, which is a nice bonus. It actually casts really, really well. The two speed mechanism in it is easy to engage and to turn off, and it holds about 400ish yards of 30lb braid (actually a little more). The only variable with it is durability. It's very new to the market, so longevity would be something to look at since it just hasn't been around long enough to know how it's going to perform over time. First impressions though, it's a really good little reel.
I was debating if I should pick up a ocea jigger F custom or use the Alijos I already have.

at 42" or 106mm per crank, I think it's pretty decent.
I will try using that with the new levitate 2 I just bought.

thanks for responding so quickly.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Both good reels. Ocea is proven long term. My only gripe with the Ocea is that damned auto engage. It really makes casting difficult. If you do go the Ocea route, I would highly advise on removing the auto engage mechanism.

Reactions: rexor_rn and Joda

tugasangler

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 9, 2016
Virginia
Name
James
Boat
Yankee Capts
I was debating if I should pick up a ocea jigger F custom or use the Alijos I already have.

at 42" or 106mm per crank, I think it's pretty decent.
I will try using that with the new levitate 2 I just bought.

thanks for responding so quickly.
I would get a silver one over the F custom after both watching them in use and using them . In my opinion the feature is a gimmick. What I’m waiting on and would recommend is the 2020 Ocea jigger 4000/4000hg

Reactions: mkikkawa

Joda

Jan 3, 2016
Walnut, ca
Name
Jonathan c
Boat
one day
I would get a silver one over the F custom after both watching them in use and using them . In my opinion the feature is a gimmick. What I’m waiting on and would recommend is the 2020 Ocea jigger 4000/4000hg
Why 4000? I feel that might be too big for the levitate 2.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Reactions: Joda

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
would work well on an Innovate H though

Reactions: Salty Bones
Apr 18, 2019
Bakersfield CA
Name
Brandon
Boat
My own
I bought the 7’10 H Phenix Titan LongFall jigging rod and paired it with a ‘19 Shimano Ocea Jigger 2000NR-HG and honestly I have a blast every time I bust this thing out. Super sensitive and I can use 1lb jigs with this rod and with the acid wrap it actually feels more like an 8oz jig when tied up and I do not get tired at all. Caught plenty of reds and a few lingcod so far in the one year I’ve owned it. Highly recommend if you wanna try the LongFall style of jigging.

3AA0E97F-CDDB-4732-90E2-D703D448EE7E.jpeg

Explorer1

Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
:-)
. Super sensitive and I can use 1lb jigs with this rod and with the acid wrap it actually feels more like an 8oz jig when tied up and I do not get tired at all.
Spiral Wrap actually feels lighter for jig? Have not fish one yet but building a couple spiral~rods, if it is....that’s good news:-):-)

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Acid wrap has nothing to do with how the jig fees on the rod. There's two reasons why the 16oz jig feels like a lighter jig on this particular set-up:

The first is because the Titan Longfall rod is extremely fast action, and the rod springs back very very quickly. Not necessarily the primary reason why the jig "feels" lighter, but it's a factor.

The second reason, and the real factor why the jig feels lighter, is the reel you're using. Shimano refined their gears in the '19 Ocea Jigger so that the handle turns approximately 27% easier than a corresponding reel under a similar load. They call it X-drive.

So, the lower force required to make a handle turn coupled with a fast action rod will give the impression that the jig is significantly lighter than it is. I don't know if I would go so far as to say it shaves half the weight of the jig, but it will be a factor in the angler's perception.

Last edited:

Explorer1

Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
The second reason, and the real factor why the jig feels lighter, is the reel you're using. Shimano refined their gears in the '19 Ocea Jigger so that the handle turns approximately 27% easier than a corresponding reel under a similar load. They call it X-drive.
If that’s case is it fair to say 「 everything stays the same」, with a longer power arm on the reel (more torque/turn easier), it will feels lighter jig weight ...... speed jigging will be easier for our body?