jowo

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
Here's some video of me pulling in some giant chuckle heads out of Oxnard. 200-250 feet deep, 200 gram jig with light current, using a levitate 68-1 with 30# braid on a daiwa kyohga. I don't hook the first one until five minutes in. I love the action of the rod, but think I'd go with the 68-2 if I could only pick one for southern California slow jigging.

jowo

Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
And on the large side for southern California slow jigging, this is an estimated 6 foot long soup fin shark I hooked on my xesta slow emotion 684 with an ocea conquest 300hg, 30# braid, and 40# leader. Had to chase it with the boat to make sure I didn't get spooled, fight time of about 30 mi. First video ends before I get it up, battery ran out, ig clip is of the release. Hookup is about five minutes in on the you tube video.

Reactions: benwah22
Apr 9, 2019
La Jolla
Name
Pinhead
Boat
Sporties
I'm not getting into a contest over whose opinion is correct or not, but I would like people to be able to make an informed choice. Its undisputed that the pioneer of slow pitch rods in Japan is made by Evergreen. Whether you fish them or not, they are very, very good at working a jig. Not the best at fighting a fish, but one of the best for rod action. Here is a video of the Evergreen Poseidon working a jig. It's markedly different (and objectively superior) to the Tsunami rod in every measurable way.

After personally fishing every rod you've mentioned, including the Tsunami, I stand by my assessment of the Tsunami rod as it relates to slow pitch jigging. If you want to speed jig a little slower for yellowtail off California and call it "slow pitch,", go right ahead, but putting some lipstick on it won't change its performance. The Shimano Tescata rod is fine for Lucanus style jigs. Maybe the Tsunami is too. But the Shimano Tescata is certainly not a slow pitch rod, and working a Lucanus style jig is nothing like working a slow pitch jig. So there's that too.

I personally don't care what rod someone chooses to fish, but very much care about their ability to make an informed choice as to what they are buying. And, I get it, buying a very expensive slow pitch rod for a niche application is out of a lot of anglers' price range. So, if you are ok with the action that the Tsunami rod will produce, then by all means. But I think it's disingenuous to say it can hold a candle to any dedicated slow pitch rod.

With regard to Synit, Synit is ceasing to build factory rods, but will still be selling blanks. You can still get them through Garone custom rods in the US.
This may be out of date but thanks for this post, it really helps paint the picture of what you’re going with “slow pitch” style jigging. Makes me want to see a flat fall or buffalo jig be worked through the water collumn properly.

Arthur1

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 20, 2018
MA
Name
Arthur
Boat
Bottoms Up
Interesting read thus far. Sadly, a lot of people aren't very aware of slow pitch jigging over this way. I just bought a couple of Rainshadow Revelation slow pitch blanks which seem promising but won't be able to put in my 2 cents until late May. Curious, do any of the long range fishermen use Jigging World rods on the West Coast? I have a few Black Widow rods and can't say enough good things about them. In the mean time, tight lines to you all!

Jorge jon

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 27, 2016
USA
Name
none
Boat
None
Interesting read thus far. Sadly, a lot of people aren't very aware of slow pitch jigging over this way. I just bought a couple of Rainshadow Revelation slow pitch blanks which seem promising but won't be able to put in my 2 cents until late May. Curious, do any of the long range fishermen use Jigging World rods on the West Coast? I have a few Black Widow rods and can't say enough good things about them. In the mean time, tight lines to you all!
where did you find those blanks?

Arthur1

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 20, 2018
MA
Name
Arthur
Boat
Bottoms Up
I got them for 30 percent off :) hopefully they prove well worth it.

RadRR

Sep 26, 2019
Out Fishing and Testing
Name
Randy
Boat
None
Check out the 2019 Levitate Sp Edt. Souped up model with Fuji Titanium and Torzite guides, AAA cork grips and finished in pearl white coat and red trims.

Reactions: rexor_rn

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Has anyone tried the centaur constellation slow pitch rods? They seem very very nice for the money but haven’t seen any action videos

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
Has anyone tried the centaur constellation slow pitch rods? They seem very very nice for the money but haven’t seen any action videos
Check out Capt. Harry's in Miami for a good deal on a slow pitch rod. They have the Temple Reef Gravitate G3 slow pitch rod for $169.95 plus shipping and handling. I bought one. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Check out Capt. Harry's in Miami for a good deal on a slow pitch rod. They have the Temple Reef Gravitate G3 slow pitch rod for $169.95 plus shipping and handling. I bought one. It was too good of a deal to pass up.
Thank you the heads up, I’m looking for something a little shorter and not a big fan of temple reef. Thank you

Barraccuda

Oct 19, 2019
Croatia
Name
Josip
Boat
nostromo 21
For the depths and location you've mentioned, either the Levitate 68-2 or G2 would be my recommendation based on your budget. Levitate would give you a bit better flexibility in deeper water. G2 is my go-to rod under 200ft.
Mr Benny,

I have purchased G2 as you suggested... and i am very satisfied... can you tell me what lb would be your preferred braided line and fluorocarbon?

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Mr Benny,

I have purchased G2 as you suggested... and i am very satisfied... can you tell me what lb would be your preferred braided line and fluorocarbon?
My preferred braid is 30lb, either in YoZuri Super Braid (which I've started using recently) or Daiwa JBraid 8 strand.

Both have been beat to hell and are proven. YoZuri is slightly thinner and a bit stronger (breaks at 52lbs vs. 42-44lbs). However, it's significantly stiffer than JBraid 8 strand.

I've seen, but haven't used, 12 strand JBraid, and from what I hear it's amazingly soft.

For fluro I generally use 50lb. For years I used Sunline FC100, and I absolutely love the stuff. In 2019, AFTCO released their Saiko Pro line of fluro, which, naturally, they wanted their pros to use. I'm always skeptical about a product at first and will not endorse it, regardless of who makes it, if I am not 100% confident in it. The Saiko Pro is the real deal. It's actually made by Sunline, which may be part of why I liked the feel out of the box, but holy crap is the stuff good in terms of performance.

Below is a pic of the leader after I landed a 50lb black grouper. Leader was scuffed, chaffed, and dinged - but she held. Can't say enough good things about the stuff.

Reactions: Cubeye

Barraccuda

Oct 19, 2019
Croatia
Name
Josip
Boat
nostromo 21
My preferred braid is 30lb, either in YoZuri Super Braid (which I've started using recently) or Daiwa JBraid 8 strand.

Both have been beat to hell and are proven. YoZuri is slightly thinner and a bit stronger (breaks at 52lbs vs. 42-44lbs). However, it's significantly stiffer than JBraid 8 strand.

I've seen, but haven't used, 12 strand JBraid, and from what I hear it's amazingly soft.

For fluro I generally use 50lb. For years I used Sunline FC100, and I absolutely love the stuff. In 2019, AFTCO released their Saiko Pro line of fluro, which, naturally, they wanted their pros to use. I'm always skeptical about a product at first and will not endorse it, regardless of who makes it, if I am not 100% confident in it. The Saiko Pro is the real deal. It's actually made by Sunline, which may be part of why I liked the feel out of the box, but holy crap is the stuff good in terms of performance.

Below is a pic of the leader after I landed a 50lb black grouper. Leader was scuffed, chaffed, and dinged - but she held. Can't say enough good things about the stuff.

WOW, thats amazing!, do you use thinner braid and fluoro if you jig in 200-300ft with smaller jigs?

and Happy New Year!

Reactions: benwah22

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Nah, that's thin enough for that depth in terms of braid. If you really scale down into micro-territory (jigs under 100g in shallow water) you may want to scale down the leader to 30lb or 40lb. I haven't really explored the world of micro-jigging recently.

If you're in very deep water (over 500ft) then you can scale down. I generally use 14lb Fireline. It particularly makes a difference when you're over 700ft.

Reactions: Tarpun

Tarpun

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 27, 2006
FL
Name
Dave
Boat
20 Seacraft MA 1980
Nah, that's thin enough for that depth in terms of braid. If you really scale down into micro-territory (jigs under 100g in shallow water) you may want to scale down the leader to 30lb or 40lb. I haven't really explored the world of micro-jigging recently.

If you're in very deep water (over 500ft) then you can scale down. I generally use 14lb Fireline. It particularly makes a difference when you're over 700ft.
" Luck is where preparation meets opportunity "

Reactions: yessokk

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Lund LX200 LFC
In 2019, AFTCO released their Saiko Pro line of fluro, which, naturally, they wanted their pros to use. I'm always skeptical about a product at first and will not endorse it, regardless of who makes it, if I am not 100% confident in it. The Saiko Pro is the real deal. It's actually made by Sunline, which may be part of why I liked the feel out of the box, but holy crap is the stuff good in terms of performance.
My good friend Tom Walker brought a case of the stuff in various # tests on our 11-day trip last month for us to check out. Having forgotten my spools of Seaguar blue label, I gratefully tied on a few 15' topshots of the 50# - as did a number of others, with 40/50/60. It felt, looked and fished as close to Blackwater as any other fluoros I've tried. And I had no problems getting bit at Guadalupe, with 5 100# class fish - and that was with very small (~4") sardines...

I'd stock up on the stuff if I hadn't loaded up on the bulk spools of Kureha Seaguar in various PE's already!

Reactions: benwah22 and Cubeye

ais

May 19, 2018
Jacksonville
Name
Ais
Boat
CB
Where can the Temple Reef rods be found online? No retailers here in Jacksonville, FL that I can find.
Also, any other suggestions for "real" spj rods at moderate price point?
Any thoughts on the new Shimano Grappler Slow Pitch? It has reasonable price point.

Grunts N Grits

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 19, 2018
South of Gawga....North of Cuber
Name
Salty Cracker
Boat
Seldom it seems nowadays
Where can the Temple Reef rods be found online? No retailers here in Jacksonville, FL that I can find.
Did you check with "Strike Zone" in Jax........their Melbourne location has them as well as the Grapplers and a few others. I would expect the Jax location to have them or at least be able to get them.
https://www.strike-zonefishing.com/

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Also, any other suggestions for "real" spj rods at moderate price point?
Any thoughts on the new Shimano Grappler Slow Pitch? It has reasonable price point.
Strike Zone in Melbourne has Temple Reef in stock. If you need anything that they do not have either they can order direct, or I can facilitate for you.