benwah22

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
It's difficult to rate a slow pitch rod on specs alone. Without feeling one I wouldn't have an idea.

Reactions: tugasangler

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
I don't remember seeing this posted anywhere. I had the pleasure of sitting in on one of these when Benny was in Jersey. Here you go guys. Enjoy!

Reactions: tugasangler

Barraccuda

Oct 19, 2019
Croatia
Name
Josip
Boat
nostromo 21
The best action rod in that price point is the Temple Reef Gravitate. It retails for about $300 or so. Naturally, people will think this is biased due to my affiliation with the company, but while testing the prototypes of these rods, I beat the hell out of them and really put them through their paces. I can sleep well at night recommending them to anyone. That being said, they have their limitations. In particular, if you plan on fishing heavy jigs in deep water (eg 400g+ jigs in 400ft or deeper), I wouldn't recommend them. But, anything up to that point they are great.

To compare to Temple Reef's flagship, the Levitate, the Gravitate are slightly thinner blanks, slightly more parabolic, and use alconite vs Sic guides (although the same layout). They both use Toray carbon. The Levitate is very very capable of working heavy jigs in deep water while still maintaining just a beautiful action. Objectively, they're the best I've fished.

I've fished the Phenix and while the build quality was great, it was a bit stiff and a little too fast. I think they would shine in deeper water with heavier jigs.

Comparable rods in your price point are Sea Falcon rods, which have a better components than the Gravitate (I think they use titanium guides) but the butt end is a little shorter, and the rod is a bit less elastic than the Gravitate. It's also 6'6 vs. 6'8 as in the Levitate Gravitate, and it is a noticeable difference.

There is a relatively new company called Takamitechnos (I know, a mouthful) that makes a series called MOZ which I've seen land very large fish, but it's one of the few brands I haven't personally fished.

Objectively, knowing what I know now, I would buy the Gravitate and pair it with a black Accurate Valiant 500n for a murdered out, and very capable set up at your price point. I know these rods would handle the yellowtail but I cannot speak to the bluefin. A buddy of mine who I fish with regularly believes they would be able to handle bluefin of that size, and I trust his opinion. But, I cannot personally definitively say that they would work there. Just being honest.
Hi! I would like to buy a Gravitate and i am fishing 300feet depths, with 100-150gr jigs... Would you take G1 or G2?

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
A G2 would be the best option for the conditions you described.

Eagle fan

Oct 20, 2019
Venice, FL
Name
Didk Lacy
Boat
n/a
So, one part response, and one part comment.

"Did you ever use Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch jigging rods?"

Yes. I have. I've found their action to be lackluster and, as I said in my original post "they are geared more toward people that want to apply a lot of heat to the rod rather than use them as a technical fishing tool." I think that my original post has sufficient detail in it to explain my position on the rods from a technical standpoint, as well as the lack of videos of the rods working jigs. And yes, I understand that there is a video of Ray working a slow pitch jig with half cranks showing the tip load and unload. I've seen it, but he's also not pitching the rod whatsoever. There are plenty of bend-o shots, but no videos of their action by someone working a jig in what would be considered a "traditional" manner. If you have a slow pitch rod, then why would I care that you can throw a slab of bait down and land a fish? Personally, I would want to see how it works a jig. Maybe that's just me?

The second part is a comment. I agree with you, Black Hole Rods are very strong. This is something I've said since I originally fished them. But, as your post states, "they are basically jigging rods," which I also agree with. Thre is nothing particularly special about them action-wise, and they do poorly in deep water, which is the benchmark of a quality slow pitch rod.

I'm not defaming the brand, as I think it has its place, but I think it's very important to discuss their limitations based on personal experience with them. Often times I see Black Hole rods being used entirely outside of their purpose - like the Tai Rubber rod - with a Jigging Master PE7 attached to it making a wild claim like "the rod is good for tuna." It's not, objectively. A Jigging Master PE7 is the thing that's good for tuna in this equation - and when you point any rod at a tuna attached to a PE7, it's probably going to reel it in. On the other hand, I am also critical of the brand I am affiliated with when it dictates. For instance, I think that the Temple Reef Levitate has the best rod action in the market - but you'll never hear me say they can take the same amount of heat as the Black Hole Rods - because I know their limitations.

Also, in both instances of the above anglers using Black Hole Rods to land these fish, once on the Yankee Capts (Ray) and the other on the Alaska trip (Dannon) - both are very good anglers, but were using Black Hole Rods because they were on the trip with you, to promote Black Hole Rods. This goes back to my consistent point that "it's not the arrow, it's the Indian." A high-caliber angler even with less than ideal tools will still generally outperform a sub-par angler with the best tools. That being said, I know that at least one of these anglers doesn't choose to fish BH rods when not on a BH trip, for what that's worth.

Last point, I've known Ray for many years, fished with him many times and he's the one of the only rod builders I would trust if getting a custom rod - and the only rod builder I would trust building a slow pitch rod, regardless of what blank it was.

I hope that helps clarify and answer your questions. As you can see, I am more than agreeable to having a civil discussion about tackle, and it's pros/cons, so that people can make informed choices about their purchases.

Eagle fan

Oct 20, 2019
Venice, FL
Name
Didk Lacy
Boat
n/a
I really appreciate your unbiased opinions on slo jigging and associated equipment. Being one just starting out in SPJ, I would appreciate your recommendations on rod selection for SWFlorida gulf fishing. Depths 80-180' would be my range & targeting bottom dwellers. Already have a Ocea jigger reel from Japan $$$ . I've no desire to step up to Poesidon at this time. Your thoughts on an acceptable rod starting out. Also, are flat fall jigs a good starting point ? Thanks in advance for comments from all who read this

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
Cattle boat or private? Jig weights? Price range?

Eagle fan

Oct 20, 2019
Venice, FL
Name
Didk Lacy
Boat
n/a
Would be private boat & charter, water depth 80-150' - assume jig weight 80-200 depending on current price $ 2-300 (curren

Target fish AJ's, grouper, various snapper speciestly looking at shimano grappler jigging rod

Down and out

Oct 21, 2019
Florida
Name
Adam D'Onofrio
Boat
27 open
I have the phenix titan SPJ rod now with the 300 accurate reel. Love the reel but now after fishing this style for a year now I agree it is a bit stiff for my type of fishing here out of Port Canaveral. I fish primarily in the 100-250ft depths. I love this SPJ style of fishing. I used to primarily fish with speed jigs. I am interested in buying a levitate and was hoping to get an opinion on which model would be best for my depth fishing. I generally fish anywhere from a 180g to 250g jig based on the current.

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
Gravitate G1 or G2. The G2 would be my pick.

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
I have the phenix titan SPJ rod now with the 300 accurate reel. Love the reel

*but now after fishing this style for a year now I agree it is a bit stiff for my type of fishing here out of Port Canaveral. I fish primarily in the 100-250ft depths.

*I generally fish anywhere from a 180g to 250g jig based on the current.
For the depths and location you've mentioned, either the Levitate 68-2 or G2 would be my recommendation based on your budget. Levitate would give you a bit better flexibility in deeper water. G2 is my go-to rod under 200ft.

Reactions: Down and out

Down and out

Oct 21, 2019
Florida
Name
Adam D'Onofrio
Boat
27 open
Thank you captain Ortiz. When and where can we expect another seminar? Seems I have missed two already.

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Working with Strike Zone for another as a refresher and to go over the new Innovate rods/long fall techniques

Lexa400Roy

Is so tired of this coronavirus disaster
Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
Im a daiwa junkie and was wondering if anynody here has used rhe saltiga g or the saltists models, im also considering the elev8 rods, also which would you guys prefer rhe daiwa sk jigs or the flat falls?

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
I've used the Saltiga and Saltist reels. Daiwa makes a good product. I believe they are going to be coming out with some re-vamped saltwater stuff next year or in 2021. Only issues with the reels that I know of is a couple of handles sheered off some JDM Saltiga 35n models, which is a bit weird, but it happened to a buddy on two of them. Well, same reel, just two handles. I would venture that it was a one-off occurrence because I haven't heard about this happening to other models.

The smaller Saltigas and smaller Saltists don't really put out as much stopping power as I like, and they're star drag, which I'm also not a fan of for slow jigging. But, if it's for you, then I'm sure it will be similar quality to what you would expect.

In any event, the elev8 rod isn't really a slow pitch rod. It's designed for their inchiku jigs, which is essentially like swimming a bucktail in terms of action. The rods are 7'10 and are extra-fast action. Moderate-slow is what you should be looking for in a slow pitch rod so that there is a smooth and deliberate recoil of the jig in the water. I would keep that in mind if you're considering this type of fishing.

In terms of the jigs you referenced, I don't like either particularly, but I would fish the SK Jigs over Flat Falls any day. Of all of the commercially available jigs, I personally think the Flat Falls are the worst of them for slow pitch. They do not have an easily repeatable action, and seem to run outward and away from the angler. I'm sure this has its place (the tuna guys seem to like them), but not necessarily if you're looking for a true slow pitch experience.

Last edited:

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
I've used the Saltiga and Saltist reels. Daiwa makes a good product. I believe they are going to be coming out with some re-vamped saltwater stuff next year or in 2021. Only issues with the reels that I know of is a couple of handles sheered off some JDM Saltiga 35n models, which is a bit weird, but it happened to a buddy on two of them. Well, same reel, just two handles. I would venture that it was a one-off occurrence because I haven't heard about this happening to other models.

The smaller Saltigas and smaller Saltists don't really put out as much stopping power as I like, and they're star drag, which I'm also not a fan of for slow jigging. But, if it's for you, then I'm sure it will be similar quality to what you would expect.

In any event, the elev8 rod isn't really a slow pitch rod. It's designed for their inchiku jigs, which is essentially like swimming a bucktail in terms of action. The rods are 7'10 and are extra-fast action. Moderate-slow is what you should be looking for in a slow pitch rod so that there is a smooth and deliberate recoil of the jig in the water. I would keep that in mind if you're considering this type of fishing.

In terms of the jigs you referenced, I don't like either particularly, but I would fish the SK Jigs over Flat Falls any day. Of all of the commercially available jigs, I personally think the Flat Falls are the worst of them for slow pitch. They do not have an easily repeatable action, and seem to run outward and away from the angler. I'm sure this has its place (the tuna guys seem to like them), but not necessarily if you're looking for a true slow pitch experience.
Awesome reply, so the elev8 would be more for like swim baits, heavy swim baits, im wondering if they would do good for like bottom fishing, and as far as the saltiga and saltists i was referring to the rods, i shouldve specified...
In terms of slow pitch jigs i would like some recommendations, you seem to know a thing or two about this subject and im just a beginner that wants to learn and do everything possible, jigging is something i really admire and ive tried it a couple of times i have 2 flat falls and a couple of savge gear jigs, heavy ones, that i got for free when i bought an okuma pch, but coming from you what would be a good jig? Thanks in advance

Reactions: jonhjax

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Awesome reply, so the elev8 would be more for like swim baits, heavy swim baits, im wondering if they would do good for like bottom fishing, and as far as the saltiga and saltists i was referring to the rods, i shouldve specified...
In terms of slow pitch jigs i would like some recommendations, you seem to know a thing or two about this subject and im just a beginner that wants to learn and do everything possible, jigging is something i really admire and ive tried it a couple of times i have 2 flat falls and a couple of savge gear jigs, heavy ones, that i got for free when i bought an okuma pch, but coming from you what would be a good jig? Thanks in advance
My recommendation on jigs for people starting out is always a gold hammered jig, with weight being dependent on your conditions. Generally 8-10oz works. There's no use in paying $20-40 for a jig if you're just starting out. Once you get your technique down, then move on to different shapes, colors, etc.

Remember, it's much more the Indian than the arrow. A great captain that I fish with regularly was once asked what bait this guy who seemed to be catching all the fish was using. His answer was "Ability."

Gold hammered jigs are the Honda Accord of fishing. Been around forever, reliable, and works most of the time. But, they have their limitations. Find out what those limitations are through time on the water and then expand.

Lexa400Roy

Apr 4, 2019
California
Name
Roy
Boat
No boat
My recommendation on jigs for people starting out is always a gold hammered jig, with weight being dependent on your conditions. Generally 8-10oz works. There's no use in paying $20-40 for a jig if you're just starting out. Once you get your technique down, then move on to different shapes, colors, etc.

Remember, it's much more the Indian than the arrow. A great captain that I fish with regularly was once asked what bait this guy who seemed to be catching all the fish was using. His answer was "Ability."

Gold hammered jigs are the Honda Accord of fishing. Been around forever, reliable, and works most of the time. But, they have their limitations. Find out what those limitations are through time on the water and then expand.
Love it, knowledgable yet simple, thanks for all your help sir i will be looking for some jigs and honing my skills, LOL on the honda accord part, i myself work as a mechanic for honda lol

J blair

Jul 6, 2019
Usa
Name
J blair
Boat
Charter
I think that buying a rod is the hardest thing in SPJ. You really need to buy something in the mid to high price range. If you buy a cheap rod it won't have the action to work the jig. I have bought a few mistakes and learned what to look for. Beware, it will become an addiction. I just added an Innovate to my collection and it's sure to be a go to rod for many applications.

Barraccuda

Oct 19, 2019
Croatia
Name
Josip
Boat
nostromo 21
A G2 would be the best option for the conditions you described.
Mr. Benny i have another question... Since i told you i am fishing around 300 feet depths(to be precise 250-300feet).... what lure weight would you prefer on these depths? I am using 100-150gr lures.

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Depends on current and drift speed. Could be as low as 150g, and as high as 400g. Conditions will dictate what lure weight. I use the weight that keeps you the most vertical for the longest period of time.

Reactions: yessokk and Cubeye