Slow pitch jigging rods

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
Just in case anyone hasn't run across or heard of it yet, Centaur rods makes slow pitch rods. Picked one up today that I've had my eyes on for a bit. But as usual, I'll go to the shop for one thing and end up with many other things lol. I picked up a 6'6 xul 40-120gr rod. The responsiveness in this rod was amazing. I could feel the jig in my soul lol. Very very nice responsive tip and good back bone! Price...... $150. I highly recommend taking a look if you come across one!!!

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
Anybody try the Phenix Titan Slow Jigging Rods? They come in slow pitch and long fall/stick bait Style
https://www.phenixrods.com/products/saltwater/titan-slow-jigging/
I have the longfall. The one that's up to 400 or 450gr. It's very sensitive and responsive. I didn't catch anything huge but worked very nicely dropping a 14oz jig around 500ft. Current picked up and I had to switch over to a heavier weight and outfit after 4 drops. I didn't get a chance to use it again after that day. But it's really awesome when conditions are ideal.

Cubeye

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Anybody try the Phenix Titan Slow Jigging Rods? They come in slow pitch and long fall/stick bait Style
https://www.phenixrods.com/products/saltwater/titan-slow-jigging/
I have the:
TJX-68MH 6'8" PE 1.5-4.0 25 - 55 150-350g

I've used it twice for yellowtail. Caught a couple of 25# class fish 300 feet deep, 250 gram knife jig. It worked well for me, but was told that it's a little on the stiff side. I have nothing to compare it to, and I have little knowledge as to how Slow Pitch Jigging rods are supposed to perform, so my opinion means pretty much nothing.

Another person used my rod and caught a couple of YT. He fished it like a regular jig stick and pretty much 'High Sticked' the rod. Looked like a horseshoe, but it didn't break! Very tough, flexible rod.

In my opinion, for our San Diego fishery, you need a stiffer action Slow Pitch Jigging rod if you are going to target yellow tail.

Reactions: rexor_rn

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
In my opinion, for our San Diego fishery, you need a stiffer action Slow Pitch Jigging rod if you are going to target yellow tail.
Why?

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Most people out here, including me, don't know what they are doing, and don't do SPJ properly. A stiffer rod, along with the repeated viewing of the videos, would help the "learning curve". It's very difficult to buy a rod off the internet, put a reel on it, and start SPJ on a boat where you are the only one doing that style of jigging. There's no one there to help and point out your mistakes. I, along with another person tend to "high stick" (moderately) the rod out of habit, so I think a stiffer rod would help in the transition.

This is for yellowtail only. I have not tried SPJ on bottom dwellers.

I did not purchase your recommended rod simply because it was more convenient to buy a Phenix.

My opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: rexor_rn

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Respectfully disagree. A stiffer rod won't help if high sticking is your concern. I would tend to think it would actually hurt you because stiffer "slow pitch" rods are more brittle, and would probably snap more easily. It's not hard to get away from high sticking, you just need to focus on changing how you fight the fish. Everyone who fished bait previously has some bad habits that need breaking, including myself.

Think of it this way. One turn of your handle is about 3-4 feet, give or take. So, mechanically speaking, one turn of the handle will compensate for any amount of lifting that you are doing with the rod. You can't point the rod high enough to make up for what you would do just pointing the rod at the fish and cranking. Focus on keeping the rod parallel to the water line for the initial hook up and fight, and then just point down and crank. Fish pulling drag? Keep cranking. Slow and steady. you will land larger fish more easily using this method, and you will not have to worry about high sticking.

Your purchase is your choice, no issues there. I'm more concerned that you have a good time, are using the right technique, and don't break whatever equipment you chose to purchase.

Reactions: yessokk and Cubeye

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Somebody Else's
Agree with both Kub and Benny’s perspectives. As a novice SoCal jigger myself, the virtual complete absence of “role models” makes ascending the learning curve especially difficult. But, market demand explains a lot...

The most challenging aspect of SPJ for me is in finding the most effective combo of tackle for a given fishing scenario. I get that there’s no substitute for on the water experience, but some real-time insights into when to use a different style or weight jig, or how to tell if the rod tip action is behaving properly, etc would sure be helpful. Unfortunately, even the sport boat crew - while they may be expert bait fishermen - are very little help with jigging...

Just spit-balling here, but IF Temple Reef were to sponsor a San Diego trip some day with demo gear for people to use and a charter master that was skilled in using it, I would be one of the first to sign up!

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
Yeah, noooooooo high sticking. Crank through the bite like crazy till you get tight! Then a nice swing to turn a head or lift out of a hole and crank quickly. That works for bottom fishing. I've lost quite a few fish getting excited/surprised by a violent hit and swinging on it. It's a learning experience for all of us. Old school methods work and continue to. But even that took time for us to hone in on. A few seasons from now we'll be able to look back at this and laugh. Except you Benny! Go find something new lolol

Reactions: Cubeye and rexor_rn

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Fwiw
I certainly am not convinced that dedicated rods or reels for that matter are needed to become proficient at SPJ fishing. Need the right jigs and rigging and you need to understand how to work each shape jig. That can be accomplished with a variety of set ups. I have been getting very good results using the same 8' graphite rods and reels I use to fish for everything from calicos to yellowtail to tuna. Just have to remember what you are doing and adjust techniques accordingly.

Jeff

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Just in case anyone hasn't run across or heard of it yet, Centaur rods makes slow pitch rods. Picked one up today that I've had my eyes on for a bit. But as usual, I'll go to the shop for one thing and end up with many other things lol. I picked up a 6'6 xul 40-120gr rod. The responsiveness in this rod was amazing. I could feel the jig in my soul lol. Very very nice responsive tip and good back bone! Price...... $150. I highly recommend taking a look if you come across one!!!
Glad to know there are now other reasonably priced CENTAUR Slow Pitch Jigging rod aside from the offering from TSUNAMI & MAXEL....Great options for beginners on a budget.

ED220B3B-AD6F-4608-8E13-CFD25C8FBB3A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Salty Bones

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
WOW...I never realized that PHENIX is Leading the Way in Producing SLOW PITCH JIGGING Rod in the US Market recently....Way to Go Phenix...For Sure they are Heading into the Right Direction just as what they did with US Rod Industry in General....Latest Technology with Reasonable Price Point that is Hard to Beat.

7600DE85-DEAD-4035-8DC1-F8B2F34E6186.jpeg

Reactions: Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Fwiw
I certainly am not convinced that dedicated rods or reels for that matter are needed to become proficient at SPJ fishing. Need the right jigs and rigging and you need to understand how to work each shape jig. That can be accomplished with a variety of set ups. I have been getting very good results using the same 8' graphite rods and reels I use to fish for everything from calicos to yellowtail to tuna. Just have to remember what you are doing and adjust techniques accordingly.

Jeff
Well, I'm convinced about the rod. The one I have is VERY different from the other rods that I have for bait, surface iron, yo-yo and vertical jigging. Completely different rod, and from what I have read and experienced, the rod inputs most, if not all the action to the jig. Other jigging methods, the angler inputs the action to the jig.

I need more practice. Need to go fishing more often.

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
Well, I'm convinced about the rod. The one I have is VERY different from the other rods that I have for bait, surface iron, yo-yo and vertical jigging. Completely different rod, and from what I have read and experienced, the rod inputs most, if not all the action to the jig. Other jigging methods, the angler inputs the action to the jig.

I need more practice. Need to go fishing more often.
No doubt having the "right" gear can make it less work for the angler. Doesn't mean you can't duplicate the jig action with non specific equipment. Just takes time to develop the feel. Like I said I am getting very good results using non specific rods and reels. I am not trying to sell anyone anything.....just want to keep this method of fishing more open minded.
Jeff

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Here is the only video I could find on the Centaur slow jigging rods. I've never used one. I'm also not sure what I'm watching here, but apparently this is slow jigging? Behold:

Now, while I think the editing of this is a bit much, you can see the difference in rod action of a Temple Reef Levitate. This is NOT the way to properly fight a fish, and the angler in the video specifically fought the fish this way because this was done during prototype testing to see how the rod would hold up. Take a gander.

Reactions: yessokk and MAG0121

Salty Bones

Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
Agreed Benny, the angler technique in the centaur video, horrible. The product, no. Those are nice quality rods. Temple reef angler technique, beautiful and I bet that jig looks amazing with his motions. The rod, top notch.

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Cool, glad you like them.

MAG0121

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 28, 2015
Encinitas, CA
www.coastlaw.com
Name
Marco Gonzalez
Boat
Nah
It’s been said repeatedly in other threads; sure, you can get a certain action from “slow pitch” jigs on just about any setup, and if the fish are in the mood, you’ll get bit plenty. But to truly experience the “slow pitch game” requires each piece of equipment to work in sync with the conditions and target species: lure type and weight, hooks, leader size, knot, braid diameter, reel spool width, gearing, handle length, and of course, the rod. Medium/high speed jigging on stiff slow pitch rods works really well, especially for west coast yellowtail, but this is just a different style, not SPJ (more akin to yo-yo style of reaction bite grinding). True slow pitch is really about one thing in the end - finesse - IMHO.

Heartoak

Jun 13, 2018
Coto
Name
Jeff
Boat
none
If you take the time to watch at least 100 SPJ videos from around the globe like I have you will notice that there are different ways to use this method of fishing. That makes sense...as all fishing is observe and adapt. So what works in Japan for example from a spankered boat may not actually make much sense in your local. It is really as simple as you want to make it. And if you are not hung up on mimicking someone else's take on this you can get the job done with a lot of different equipment. Just need to take all the sales pitch stuff with a grain of salt.....especially if you fish in a different environment than it was developed for.
Take the blinders off and try fishing it with the gear you already have. You don't have to get all anal to enjoy this.

Jeff