Jorge jon

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 27, 2016
USA
Name
none
Boat
None
That makes a heck of a lot of sense , which it's actually what that Shimano Japanese guy was doing .I guess ,it all comes down to , practice , the more the better .
In a nutshell, cant you enlighten us , newbies in the slow pitch world what gear is high end , mid teer & budget gear ( rods & reels ) please .

benwah22

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
High end from Temple Reef is the Levitate series. Comes in powers 0 through 4 (from lightest to heaviest).

Economical from Temple Reef is the Gravitate Series. Comes in powers G1 through G3 (lightest to heaviest)

I won't go into other companies rods due to my affiliation with Temple Reef, and I stand by the Levitate as having the best action in the industry.

Reels:

High end reels:
Studio Ocean Mark L50hi S2T ($1300 USD)
Studio Ocean Mark L30hi Limited ($1000 USD)
Marfix N4 SJ Works ($1500 USD, if you can find one)
Shimano Torsa 16n with Studio Ocean Mark Handle (~ $1100 if you can find one)

High Mid Range:
Jigging Master Monster Game PE3 or 5N ($650-750, has audible dog)
Accurate DFS Slammer 400n, 500n, 600nn (~ $550-600 USD) [<< I use these]

Mid range reels:
Accurate Valiant 500n ($450 USD)
Shimano Ocea Jigger 1500nrhg ($425 USD)
Shimano Ocea Jigger 2000nrhg (~ $475 USD)
Daiwa Saltiga 35N-SJ ($475 USD)
Daiwa Saltiga 15 ($400 USD)

Budget:
Shimano Torium 16hga ($200ish)
Daiwa Saltist 15h and 20h ($200ish)
Okuma Metaloid 5n ($200ish)

I've either owned, own, or have used just about every reel on this list, so I have a pretty good idea of what's what.

Last edited:

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Learn from seeing video of Japanese anglers first. Then you develop your own style of slow pitch jigging.
I very much agree with this. You have to adapt to your fishery using the fundamental techniques and expanding from there.

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
I very much agree with this. You have to adapt to your fishery using the fundamental techniques and expanding from there.
Mr. Benny,
Noticing that you normally use 4 hooks, 2 on top, 2 on bottom of the jig, but 98% of the fish photographed were hooked with only the top hooks. Considering this do you feel the bottom hooks are necessary? Or is it an action consideration, maybe to balance the jig out on the fall.?

Walt

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
I don't think your 98% figure is correct. It's probably much closer to 50/50, at least in experience as well as the photos I've posted with jigs in the fish's mouth. I would not use bottom hooks if I didn't think they were necessary, but I think they are.

Even if the fish isn't hooked in the mouth with the rear hooks, often times the rear hooks will swing around and snag the fish, giving a more secure hook set, and redistributing the force each hook is handling.

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
I don't think your 98% figure is correct. It's probably much closer to 50/50, at least in experience as well as the photos I've posted with jigs in the fish's mouth. I would not use bottom hooks if I didn't think they were necessary, but I think they are.

Even if the fish isn't hooked in the mouth with the rear hooks, often times the rear hooks will swing around and snag the fish, giving a more secure hook set, and redistributing the force each hook is handling.
You are right ,,,My math was off.... of the 16 pics that were viewed on FB 12 were hooked with the top hooks and 2 with the bottom hooks and 2 undetermined . That is 83% hooked with the top hooks. Realize that is a limited sampling so my assumptions are probably incorrect.

Jorge jon

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 27, 2016
USA
Name
none
Boat
None
High end from Temple Reef is the Levitate series. Comes in powers 0 through 4 (from lightest to heaviest).

Economical from Temple Reef is the Gravitate Series. Comes in powers G1 through G3 (lightest to heaviest)

I won't go into other companies rods due to my affiliation with Temple Reef, and I stand by the Levitate as having the best action in the industry.

Reels:

High end reels:
Studio Ocean Mark L50hi S2T ($1300 USD)
Studio Ocean Mark L30hi Limited ($1000 USD)
Marfix N4 SJ Works ($1500 USD, if you can find one)
Shimano Torsa 16n with Studio Ocean Mark Handle (~ $1100 if you can find one)

High Mid Range:
Jigging Master Monster Game PE3 or 5N ($650-750, has audible dog)
Accurate DFS Slammer 400n, 500n, 600nn (~ $550-600 USD) [<< I use these]

Mid range reels:
Accurate Valiant 500n ($450 USD)
Shimano Ocea Jigger 1500nrhg ($425 USD)
Shimano Ocea Jigger 2000nrhg (~ $475 USD)
Daiwa Saltiga 35N-SJ ($475 USD)
Daiwa Saltiga 15 ($400 USD)

Budget:
Shimano Torium 16hga ($200ish)
Daiwa Saltist 15h and 20h ($200ish)
Okuma Metaloid 5n ($200ish)

I've either owned, own, or have used just about every reel on this list, so I have a pretty good idea of what's what.
Ok that sounds fair.
Reels , you dont mention Maxel reels . Any feedbacks on those ? I picked up a Saltiga Z20 high ratio . Which it leads me to , how important is the ratio vs the retrieve per " or cm ?
Wow ! METALOID okuma ?

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
The Okuma was thrown in for the price point. It's not a bad reel but gives a lever drag option at the price.

Maxel reels have powerful drag and the bling factor. I've had the 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 Transformer reels. The thing I don't like about them is the drag curve. Essentially it begins at strike and if you back it off strike, you have almost no drag whatsoever. This is another reason why I fish Accurate reels - full drag curve as soon as you engage the lever and you can incrementally adjust accordingly, up or down. However, the Maxel egg knob handle is fantastic.

Retrieve is extremely important. Ideally between 85-100cm per crank is ideal. Ratio doesn't matter as long as you're in that range.

Also, if you notice, all of the high end reels are lever drag. Might tell you something.

Jorge jon

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 27, 2016
USA
Name
none
Boat
None
The drag curve , how about those star drags , some folks on the SLP scene swear on the star drags vs the lever , the drag engaged scenario on those lever drags reels take some time...so they say

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
I've said what I use.

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Ok, that response objectively looks terrible. Didn't mean to say it that way, but, at some point you've got to do something little of your own research. Me telling you what's better is irrelevant in situations when the technology isn't the issue, but rather personal preference

Reactions: yessokk

yessokk

Sep 18, 2006
Costa Mesa, Cailf
Name
Walt
Boat
11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
Mr. Benny,
Any insight on why what appear to be Micro Guides are used on the slow pitch rods. Is there any logical objective reason for this?
Walt

Last edited:

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Mr. Benny,
Any insight on why what appear to be Micro Guides are used on the slow pitch rods. Is there any logical objective reason for this?
Walt
The reason is to keep the line as close to the blank as possible so that you have as much sensitivity as the technology allows. This becomes particularly relevant when fishing in deep water for smaller species of fish. Micro guides are also generally a "tell" as to the quality of rod you are getting.

Reactions: yessokk and Cubeye

Jorge jon

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 27, 2016
USA
Name
none
Boat
None
Does the very thin diameter of the blank have any say when using what type of guides to be wrapped on the blank? Can't see any possible way of placing a stud 3 foot guide on a bass diameter blank, for that matter.
But what do I know :imdumb:

jowo

Jul 9, 2004
Woodland Hills
Name
Johnny
Boat
Sold
Proper technique and gear aside, I just like pulling out a 'trout rod' that weighs less than a pound (rod and reel), and having a riot outfishing the bait guys using 40# setups and 500 sized reels. A double from a couple days ago and a big salmon grouper.

20180813_174045.jpg 20180814_101955.jpg

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
The Tsuanmi rods are perfectly fine for slow pitch fishing. I caught 25 lb yellowtails with them with no problem. Not everyone wants or can afford a Black Hole, Poseidon or Synit Rods for a very niche application. I have a couple of the Black Hole and Synit rods for tuna fishing. The action of the Tsunami is the most similar to the Shimano Tescata rod, which is very specific to fishing the Lucanus jigs. You can't beat the cost/value of the Tsunami rods over any of the other rods listed. It may not be the best rods, but it defnitely has the action of a slow pitch rod. I prefer the Tsunami rods over my BH rods for bottom fishing for rockfish. The action of the rod tip allows good control of your lures in deep water. The BH rod tip is a bit more stiffer and it is harder to maintain a constant control of the lure action compared to Tsunami rods with lighter jigs.

BTW, if you didn't know, Synit just went out of business. Its sad to see what happened to the company since Tiny died. They are closing this year. They are selling the last of their current stocks. The announcement was on their FaceBook page.

What is the Specs of this Great Tsunami Slow Pitch Rod?

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
The reason is to keep the line as close to the blank as possible so that you have as much sensitivity as the technology allows. This becomes particularly relevant when fishing in deep water for smaller species of fish. Micro guides are also generally a "tell" as to the quality of rod you are getting.
Benny I am looking at purchasing one of these rods but regarding the quality of the guides on temple reef rods wasn’t Pierre ( who I venture to say is more knowledgeable than you at this technique and probably has done it before you) complaining about the guides braking and having to go custom as a result of multiple repairs by temple reef? I saw different posts in which people were complaining about braking the guides( without using heavy lines as temple reef has implied). Have these issues been addressed? It’s hard at this point to spend that much on a levitate and get into the same scenario on the water

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
I've not had an issue with breaking guides on the Levitate series.

What I've seen is guides bend by either banging into something or not clipping the tag end of a mono/fluoro leader that doesn't pass through the guide properly, or improperly tying their PR/FG knot so that it doesn't pass through smoothly.

I've had every model of Levitate since they came out in 2015, and Gravitate since last year (I think eleven rods in total) and have never broken a rod or guide, for what it's worth.

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can say or do to definitively tell you that you won't break a guide on this, or any other rod that you may purchase, other than to make sure your knots are good and that you take care not to bang the rod around.

rexor_rn

Mangingisda
Sep 22, 2016
HOLLYWOOD
Name
Mananagat
Boat
"CATTLE BOAT"
Proper technique and gear aside, I just like pulling out a 'trout rod' that weighs less than a pound (rod and reel), and having a riot outfishing the bait guys using 40# setups and 500 sized reels. A double from a couple days ago and a big salmon grouper.

View attachment 955571 View attachment 955572
Damn what Rod & Reel is that? Awesome...Thinking of pairing my Komodo 471 with a Tsunami Slow Pitch Rod....