Slow pitch jigging rods

Arthur1

Sep 20, 2018
MA
Name
Arthur
Boat
Bottoms Up
I got them for 30 percent off :) hopefully they prove well worth it.

RadRR

Sep 26, 2019
Out Fishing and Testing
Name
Randy
Boat
None
Check out the 2019 Levitate Sp Edt. Souped up model with Fuji Titanium and Torzite guides, AAA cork grips and finished in pearl white coat and red trims.

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Has anyone tried the centaur constellation slow pitch rods? They seem very very nice for the money but haven’t seen any action videos

jonhjax

Mar 20, 2019
florida
Name
jon
Boat
n/a
Has anyone tried the centaur constellation slow pitch rods? They seem very very nice for the money but haven’t seen any action videos
Check out Capt. Harry's in Miami for a good deal on a slow pitch rod. They have the Temple Reef Gravitate G3 slow pitch rod for $169.95 plus shipping and handling. I bought one. It was too good of a deal to pass up.

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
Check out Capt. Harry's in Miami for a good deal on a slow pitch rod. They have the Temple Reef Gravitate G3 slow pitch rod for $169.95 plus shipping and handling. I bought one. It was too good of a deal to pass up.
Thank you the heads up, I’m looking for something a little shorter and not a big fan of temple reef. Thank you

Barraccuda

Oct 19, 2019
Croatia
Name
Josip
Boat
nostromo 21
For the depths and location you've mentioned, either the Levitate 68-2 or G2 would be my recommendation based on your budget. Levitate would give you a bit better flexibility in deeper water. G2 is my go-to rod under 200ft.
Mr Benny,

I have purchased G2 as you suggested... and i am very satisfied... can you tell me what lb would be your preferred braided line and fluorocarbon?

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Mr Benny,

I have purchased G2 as you suggested... and i am very satisfied... can you tell me what lb would be your preferred braided line and fluorocarbon?
My preferred braid is 30lb, either in YoZuri Super Braid (which I've started using recently) or Daiwa JBraid 8 strand.

Both have been beat to hell and are proven. YoZuri is slightly thinner and a bit stronger (breaks at 52lbs vs. 42-44lbs). However, it's significantly stiffer than JBraid 8 strand.

I've seen, but haven't used, 12 strand JBraid, and from what I hear it's amazingly soft.

For fluro I generally use 50lb. For years I used Sunline FC100, and I absolutely love the stuff. In 2019, AFTCO released their Saiko Pro line of fluro, which, naturally, they wanted their pros to use. I'm always skeptical about a product at first and will not endorse it, regardless of who makes it, if I am not 100% confident in it. The Saiko Pro is the real deal. It's actually made by Sunline, which may be part of why I liked the feel out of the box, but holy crap is the stuff good in terms of performance.

Below is a pic of the leader after I landed a 50lb black grouper. Leader was scuffed, chaffed, and dinged - but she held. Can't say enough good things about the stuff.

Reactions: Cubeye

Barraccuda

Oct 19, 2019
Croatia
Name
Josip
Boat
nostromo 21
My preferred braid is 30lb, either in YoZuri Super Braid (which I've started using recently) or Daiwa JBraid 8 strand.

Both have been beat to hell and are proven. YoZuri is slightly thinner and a bit stronger (breaks at 52lbs vs. 42-44lbs). However, it's significantly stiffer than JBraid 8 strand.

I've seen, but haven't used, 12 strand JBraid, and from what I hear it's amazingly soft.

For fluro I generally use 50lb. For years I used Sunline FC100, and I absolutely love the stuff. In 2019, AFTCO released their Saiko Pro line of fluro, which, naturally, they wanted their pros to use. I'm always skeptical about a product at first and will not endorse it, regardless of who makes it, if I am not 100% confident in it. The Saiko Pro is the real deal. It's actually made by Sunline, which may be part of why I liked the feel out of the box, but holy crap is the stuff good in terms of performance.

Below is a pic of the leader after I landed a 50lb black grouper. Leader was scuffed, chaffed, and dinged - but she held. Can't say enough good things about the stuff.

WOW, thats amazing!, do you use thinner braid and fluoro if you jig in 200-300ft with smaller jigs?

and Happy New Year!

Reactions: benwah22

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Nah, that's thin enough for that depth in terms of braid. If you really scale down into micro-territory (jigs under 100g in shallow water) you may want to scale down the leader to 30lb or 40lb. I haven't really explored the world of micro-jigging recently.

If you're in very deep water (over 500ft) then you can scale down. I generally use 14lb Fireline. It particularly makes a difference when you're over 700ft.

Reactions: Tarpun

Tarpun

Jun 27, 2006
FL
Name
Dave
Boat
20 Seacraft MA 1980
Nah, that's thin enough for that depth in terms of braid. If you really scale down into micro-territory (jigs under 100g in shallow water) you may want to scale down the leader to 30lb or 40lb. I haven't really explored the world of micro-jigging recently.

If you're in very deep water (over 500ft) then you can scale down. I generally use 14lb Fireline. It particularly makes a difference when you're over 700ft.
" Luck is where preparation meets opportunity "

Reactions: yessokk

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
Apr 17, 2007
3rd dumpster on the right
Name
Jim
Boat
Somebody Else's
In 2019, AFTCO released their Saiko Pro line of fluro, which, naturally, they wanted their pros to use. I'm always skeptical about a product at first and will not endorse it, regardless of who makes it, if I am not 100% confident in it. The Saiko Pro is the real deal. It's actually made by Sunline, which may be part of why I liked the feel out of the box, but holy crap is the stuff good in terms of performance.
My good friend Tom Walker brought a case of the stuff in various # tests on our 11-day trip last month for us to check out. Having forgotten my spools of Seaguar blue label, I gratefully tied on a few 15' topshots of the 50# - as did a number of others, with 40/50/60. It felt, looked and fished as close to Blackwater as any other fluoros I've tried. And I had no problems getting bit at Guadalupe, with 5 100# class fish - and that was with very small (~4") sardines...

I'd stock up on the stuff if I hadn't loaded up on the bulk spools of Kureha Seaguar in various PE's already!

Reactions: benwah22 and Cubeye

ais

May 19, 2018
Jacksonville
Name
Ais
Boat
CB
Where can the Temple Reef rods be found online? No retailers here in Jacksonville, FL that I can find.
Also, any other suggestions for "real" spj rods at moderate price point?
Any thoughts on the new Shimano Grappler Slow Pitch? It has reasonable price point.

Sep 19, 2018
South of Gawga....North of Cuber
Name
Salty Cracker
Boat
Seldom it seems nowadays
Where can the Temple Reef rods be found online? No retailers here in Jacksonville, FL that I can find.
Did you check with "Strike Zone" in Jax........their Melbourne location has them as well as the Grapplers and a few others. I would expect the Jax location to have them or at least be able to get them.
https://www.strike-zonefishing.com/

benwah22

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 16, 2016
South Florida
Name
Benny Ortiz
Boat
Whatever one I'm on.
Also, any other suggestions for "real" spj rods at moderate price point?
Any thoughts on the new Shimano Grappler Slow Pitch? It has reasonable price point.
Strike Zone in Melbourne has Temple Reef in stock. If you need anything that they do not have either they can order direct, or I can facilitate for you.