Shane R

Almost A Member
Jul 30, 2020
Yucca Valley
Name
Shane Reil
Boat
Next year hopefully
Not sure it would be considered a slow pitch rod but I use a crb jigging rod. 5'-8" with a moderate action. Rated at 80-150 with a fathom 40n 100 lbs braid. Acid wrapped.

20210616_093138.jpg

20210616_093114.jpg

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Hearty Rise power 3
    Pump like a man!

The idea of a stout slow pitch rod has crossed my mind many times. I've concluded they would be great on a private boat but too short for use on a sportboat with a bunch of other angers.

Also, slow pitch rods can't really be railed because they're designed to impart action on the jig, not fight the fish. I think that's why there's a lot of criticism about the HR rods. Too stiff to be best in class at working the jig, but also not the best tool for fighting either.

Anyways, it's fun exploring new techniques. Post up what you end up doing.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    The Southeast Asian slow pitch companies make rods for this. The style there is very different from Japan. Shallower water and much bigger fish, you'll get smoked on a regular basis fishing the traditional Japanese style. There is no right or wrong way to do this, too many guys get stuck in a "purist" mentality, thinking the Japanese way is the only way. For deep water and smaller(comparatively) fish species, the Japanese method reigns supreme. For much larger and stronger structure dwelling fish or fishing pelagics such as tuna, you're going to need a little stronger gear for day to day use.
    Hearty Rise makes a very strong rod as does Black Hole. While not the best in the "purist" sense of the word for working a jig, they'll get the job done. These rods are a compromise between two competing needs, action and power. It's a rather remarkable balancing act when you really think about it.

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    Pump like a man!

The idea of a stout slow pitch rod has crossed my mind many times. I've concluded they would be great on a private boat but too short for use on a sportboat with a bunch of other angers.

Also, slow pitch rods can't really be railed because they're designed to impart action on the jig, not fight the fish. I think that's why there's a lot of criticism about the HR rods. Too stiff to be best in class at working the jig, but also not the best tool for fighting either.

Anyways, it's fun exploring new techniques. Post up what you end up doing.
    Should be a fun attempt. I have a pb so it’s something I think is very possible. I’ll try to get some GoPro.
    Pump like a man! Love it

Upvote 0