Ziad Amr

Oct 31, 2017
Egypt
Name
Hurghada
Boat Name
Zozza
i want to ask guys about your opinion for slow jigging rods that has a wide range of jig weights because i might need heavy weights and also in sometimes i might use 100 to 150 grams jigs .. i see a lot of rods with very close range like 220g to 300 g , i need rods reccomendations for rods with wide range :)
Thank you

Upvote 0

spooky007

Almost A Member
Nov 13, 2006
Bakersfield
Name
Al
Boat Name
None
You can get rod rated to fish heavier jigs and fish lighter jigs but the rod will not rebound effectively with the lighter jigs... You're better off purchasing 2 rods to fish the range of jig weights you want... The Evergreen Poseidon long falls have a wide range of jig weights and p.e. ratings you can fish but the rods have a sweet spot for actual jig weights fished... What depths are you planning on fishing?

Reactions: nmthree
Upvote 0

DH10

Aug 18, 2009
Pinedale WY USA
Name
Dave Harper
Boat Name
17 Crestliner
I am certainly no expert, but as I understand it the biggest difference between the slow pitch rods and regular jigging rods is the "spring back" that gives the jigs their action. By definition, you need the rod matched to the jig weight, since the rod is imparting the action...so there cannot be one rod that will work with a "wide range" of jig weights.....

fishordie

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat Name
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Yo Ziad,

Check out the Blackhole line of Jigging rods.. 150G and 250 G Cape Code Specials or Slow Pitch rods.. Top of the line rods for a reasonable price (Reasonable for this level of high end rod)... The weight of the jig will dictate the advanced tip action required to most effectively use the gear..

Best of luck in your choices.

Jamie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ziad Amr

Oct 31, 2017
Egypt
Name
Hurghada
Boat Name
Zozza
You can get rod rated to fish heavier jigs and fish lighter jigs but the rod will not rebound effectively with the lighter jigs... You're better off purchasing 2 rods to fish the range of jig weights you want... The Evergreen Poseidon long falls have a wide range of jig weights and p.e. ratings you can fish but the rods have a sweet spot for actual jig weights fished... What depths are you planning on fishing?

I’m planning on fishing from 60 to 200 meters
, can i really use the evergreen poseidon long falls for normal slow pitch jerk ? I thought it can be used in long falls only

Upvote 0

Ziad Amr

Oct 31, 2017
Egypt
Name
Hurghada
Boat Name
Zozza
I am certainly no expert, but as I understand it the biggest difference between the slow pitch rods and regular jigging rods is the "spring back" that gives the jigs their action. By definition, you need the rod matched to the jig weight, since the rod is imparting the action...so there cannot be one rod that will work with a "wide range" of jig weights.....

You’re completely true :)

Upvote 0

Ziad Amr

Oct 31, 2017
Egypt
Name
Hurghada
Boat Name
Zozza
Yo Ziad,

Check out the Blackhole line of Jigging rods.. 150G and 250 G Cape Code Specials or Slow Pitch rods.. Top of the line rods for a reasonable price (Reasonable for this level of high end rod)... The weight of the jig will dictate the advanced tip action required to most effectively use the gear..

Best of luck in your choices.

Jamie

Will look at them , thank you :)

Upvote 0

Ziad Amr

Oct 31, 2017
Egypt
Name
Hurghada
Boat Name
Zozza
Guys do you have any recommendations for a nice reel for slow jigging and if there is an online store that i can benefit from black friday deals ??

Upvote 0

Ray.S

Almost A Member
Jul 9, 2009
hwy2hvn
Name
Ray
Boat Name
M/V Lunod
you can use a long fall rod for slow pitch jigging. just have to use heavier jigs, won't give the action on lighter jigs. long fall jigs are exceptionally longer at average of 7'6'' - 7'10'', stiffer towards the tip than a slow pitch rod.

60-200m is a very wide range. you can use 1 rod but you wont get the proper action on the other end of the range.

Upvote 0

Ziad Amr

Oct 31, 2017
Egypt
Name
Hurghada
Boat Name
Zozza
you can use a long fall rod for slow pitch jigging. just have to use heavier jigs, won't give the action on lighter jigs. long fall jigs are exceptionally longer at average of 7'6'' - 7'10'', stiffer towards the tip than a slow pitch rod.

60-200m is a very wide range. you can use 1 rod but you wont get the proper action on the other end of the range.

Any recommendations for reels ?

Upvote 0

Kin

o_O
Oct 10, 2010
San Gabriel
Name
Kin
Boat Name
ODC 420
Tried and true, ocea jigger. I'm using a saltiga 15 and it's nice. Would prefer to have the auto engage vs throwing it into gear manually. Maxels look like they may work, but no one I know has first hand experience with it.

Upvote 0

DannyNoonan

Smarter than I look...
  • Apr 17, 2007
    3rd dumpster on the right
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    Lund LX200 LFC
    Shimano, Daiwa and Accurate are all excellent quality reels - and in the right configuration are great for slow pitch. I bought a Maxel and returned it immediately after disassembling it - extremely poor quality IMO. Can’t speak to jigging master, but as many have indicated they seem to be built by same company that produces Maxel so I won’t take the chance.

Upvote 0

waterwolf2230

Jan 6, 2017
    Edmonton
    Name
    Curtis Schriever
    Boat Name
    26' RH Sea Hawk Pro with Twin Evinrude G2 - 225 HO's
    My absolute FAVOURITE setup is my Shimano Game Type J B605 which handles jigs to 300 grams. It fishes nicely between 160 and 300. I pair mine with a Shimano Trinidad 16NA. That combo is hard to beat...I got a great deal on them too. PM me if you are interested. I landed a 70lb halibut on it last spring with ease fishing a 280 gram Flat Side jig.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Paparockcal

Old Dude
    May 22, 2016
    Whites Canyon Rd., Canyon Country
    Name
    Rocky Latham
    Boat Name
    N/A Now But I had a 21ft Gulf Coast when I lived on the mainland near Galveston, Texas
    Upvote 0