ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    Took the dogs fishing today out of San Pedro, not much luck. Put only 6 on the boat; 2 sandies, 2 calicos, 1 whitefish, 1 kelp bass. All released using plastics (time to break out the squid??) Color of the day was red. water temps 57 all day, windier that expected making it tough to stay down, good current. Plenty of bait with birds active, especially with the porpoise feeding. Water murky green under 90 feet, a little clearer deeper. Difficult to find fish, anywhere! Saw a couple sporties heading to Catalina this afternoon, maybe that's where the fish are! Looks like decent weather this weekend, good luck. Tight lines!

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Took the dogs fishing today out of San Pedro, not much luck. Put only 6 on the boat; 2 sandies, 2 calicos, 1 whitefish, 1 kelp bass. All released using plastics (time to break out the squid??) Color of the day was red. water temps 57 all day, windier that expected making it tough to stay down, good current. Plenty of bait with birds active, especially with the porpoise feeding. Water murky green under 90 feet, a little clearer deeper. Difficult to find fish, anywhere! Saw a couple sporties heading to Catalina this afternoon, maybe that's where the fish are! Looks like decent weather this weekend, good luck. Tight lines!

Thanks for the report. We are heading out there tomorrow.

Upvote 0

ANGLING ALLEN

Almost A Member
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Fullerton
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    finatic
    2 calico, 1 kelp bass? Those are the same, you mean Giant kelp fish or kelp greenling? Pics if you got them...

Really not sure. It was small, like 10 inches, not a sand bass, not a calico, not a spottie. It was a bass, darker with I think two vertical black bars. The head was more narrow, of course, it was a juvenile. I was more interested in getting it released than taking a picture. It was barely hooked and didn't fight much. You never know what you'll catch in the ocean. I'll take a picture next time, for sure.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat
    arima - the SLIDER
    Really not sure. It was small, like 10 inches, not a sand bass, not a calico, not a spottie. It was a bass, darker with I think two vertical black bars. The head was more narrow, of course, it was a juvenile. I was more interested in getting it released than taking a picture. It was barely hooked and didn't fight much. You never know what you'll catch in the ocean. I'll take a picture next time, for sure.

IMG_3335.JPG

Treefish?

Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Thinking about trying homemade scents. Hotsauce two types and some garlic spice sauce. What yall thinking?

No to spice and garlic. Yes to anise or clam sauce. Definitely something with protein. Why not just "Calico Cocktail"???

Upvote 0

beerman1

Almost A Member
    Jul 14, 2014
    OC
    Name
    eric
    Boat
    triumph 17 CC
    I was out today ( Saturday) same area. Dense fog in tight. Bout 150 yards visibility out on the shoe. Good seas, 57.4 degrees. We only landed 2 calicos(one 16”) and a few short sandies. Slow fishing . Wish I had radar today. Thank god for GPS. Tons of breaking bait in the water.

Upvote 0

Kman

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Apr 7, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Kurt
    Boat
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Fog, fog and more fog for us, though it cleared up as we headed towards plan B—Newport. The ARs and the Pipe only gave up a couple even though the meter was loaded with (unwilling) fish. We ended the day with 18 fish. The boat ran great and thank God for AIS.

Going again Tuesday if anyone wants to share info.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0