Slow 3 day on Pac Queen 10/29-11/1

Dec 17, 2011
Mukilteo/WA/USA
Name
Rayan
Boat
Cutwater 26 "Habibi's Absolute R&R"
Came down from Oregon to get a taste of that BFT fever and looks like I missed the bite by days. We saw some breezers on our last day with 1-2 short hook ups (both on 25lb fluorocarbon). We got into a few nice YT 25-35lbs mostly on Tadys/Salas yo-yoing.

Total heart break to take a week of vacation off for it only to get skunked and then the same day we off load the fishing fires up again. I appreciate Gavin working hard to find some fish and some of the deckhands were really hard working (others not quite) as much. The big question now is seeing that things just came back to life how likely is it that the BFT and YFT will be around in 2 weeks if I try and get on a 1.5 day? I know its fishing and it was nice to try something new. Now just gotta decide if I should go double or nothing or just save my money for next year.

Maing

Maing
Oct 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Maing
Boat
Me yak fer now
Oh man!!! I saw that report at fisherman’s landing and that had to be tough!!!! Usually the wx this time of year down there is really good.

I was on the NLA just days before that and the bigger 100lbrs that were caught days before our trip decided to take a hiatus. We got fish and for that I thankfull!!! But not the big ones...

i usually like to plan a couple of those 2-3 day trips just for this reason alone...

Reactions: Peg North

kzaam1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
If yesterday’s numbers and the last 2-3 years are any indication, the bite should be really great in 2 weeks. Maybe even off the charts like it was last year.

Maing

Maing
Oct 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Maing
Boat
Me yak fer now
I’m hoping for the 5-8th. I’m on a 3 day on the vagabond!!!! Freakin out right now with the bft starting to slowly take over the counts..

Reactions: Peg North
Sep 10, 2016
Seal Beach
Name
Rob
Boat
Boston Whaler Justice
I’m hoping for the 5-8th. I’m on a 3 day on the vagabond!!!! Freakin out right now with the bft starting to slowly take over the counts..
I'm freaking out too! Haha While I'm not on the Vag. Ill be on a 3 dayer in the Aztec leaving the 7th!

Some piggies coming over the rail as of late!!

Reactions: Peg North and Maing

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
The bluefin will still be around. Who knows on the yellowfin. Getting the bluefin to bite is still a crapshoot.

Maing

Maing
Oct 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Maing
Boat
Me yak fer now
That’s always gonna be a mystery. But from the reports comin in. Sounds like a really good time to be out right now!!!

Peg North

Peripatetic
May 22, 2009
West Sacramento CA
Name
"Buggywhip"
Boat
Slow Poke
I feel your pain on missing the bite by a day. Tough to live in NorCal and be unable to just “ come down with the flu” and jump on a trip. Seemed to happen almost every trip I took for 4 or 5 years. And, after I finally got lucky on biting conditions on 4 of the 5 days on the trip I took this fall, it may be another bunch of years until it happens again. Just stick with it and stay with the winner boats. Persistence and practicing the techniques will get you there at some point. Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: rayancarter

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
Take what the trip and gas and time off work would cost you and go to that fish market in san diego and spend it all on fresh fish , you will be a winner ! And have enough fish to last all year !! Thats what i would do

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

BernardMP

Tailhunter
Aug 2, 2010
Name
Tailhunter
Boat
N/A
Came down from Oregon to get a taste of that BFT fever and looks like I missed the bite by days. We saw some breezers on our last day with 1-2 short hook ups (both on 25lb fluorocarbon). We got into a few nice YT 25-35lbs mostly on Tadys/Salas yo-yoing.

Total heart break to take a week of vacation off for it only to get skunked and then the same day we off load the fishing fires up again. I appreciate Gavin working hard to find some fish and some of the deckhands were really hard working (others not quite) as much. The big question now is seeing that things just came back to life how likely is it that the BFT and YFT will be around in 2 weeks if I try and get on a 1.5 day? I know its fishing and it was nice to try something new. Now just gotta decide if I should go double or nothing or just save my money for next year.
What was deal with that why such a low fish count this is my fav boat and that's what I go on every year was it the weather a lot of chop a cold front or a lot of wind?

kzaam1

Nov 7, 2018
San Diego
Name
Kzaam
Boat
Jasmine
What was deal with that why such a low fish count this is my fav boat and that's what I go on every year was it the weather a lot of chop a cold front or a lot of wind?
Maybe someone on the crew or captain overheard him talking about how the crew wasn’t working hard enough and decided to go fish dead water just to show that type of disrespect wouldn’t be tolerated. Just a guess!

Dec 17, 2011
Mukilteo/WA/USA
Name
Rayan
Boat
Cutwater 26 "Habibi's Absolute R&R"
I think the fish counts were low in general due to the weather, water temp dropped 1-2 degrees and there was a TON of squid around so I'm guessing the fish were filling up on it.

Maybe someone on the crew or captain overheard him talking about how the crew wasn’t working hard enough and decided to go fish dead water just to show that type of disrespect wouldn’t be tolerated. Just a guess!
Don't think that's the case but Im guessing you're just trolling for fun. I tipped the crew well and told a number of them how I appreciated their hard work. Its fishing and they're the best there is so I'm fully aware that it wasn't their fault. I'll happily fish with that crew again :)

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
I saw that report on the FL site and said...SAY WHAT?
That's fishing, been there...but not for 3 days...kinda wierd.
That's bluefin. Surprised you didn't get some yellowfin though.
Maybe next year. GL then.

Reactions: rayancarter