baitedgyro

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 1, 2009
SANTA CLARITA
Name
David
Boat
25' Boston Whaler 1983
Ok, my regular tow truck took a major dump after 303,000 miles (it's not a complaint), but I will be possibly downsizing to a smaller truck but not able to haul my 25' around if I move into a Tacoma type.

I live up in the LA/OC area and usually tow down to SD for most of our trips. Now thinking of getting a slip, what's the going rate, what's the waiting list like today?

I'm open to any decent and safe place to slip.

I was thinking of maybe renting a truck for those times (2-3 times a month if that) versus slipping but maybe after renting a truck for two days (usually leave the ramps around 2-3 am and return as late as 5-6 pm), the cost and inconvenience of going thru the rental process may not be worth the hassle versus slipping.

Comments or suggestions?

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Ok, my regular tow truck took a major dump after 303,000 miles (it's not a complaint), but I will be possibly downsizing to a smaller truck but not able to haul my 25' around if I move into a Tacoma type.

I live up in the LA/OC area and usually tow down to SD for most of our trips. Now thinking of getting a slip, what's the going rate, what's the waiting list like today?

I'm open to any decent and safe place to slip.

I was thinking of maybe renting a truck for those times (2-3 times a month if that) versus slipping but maybe after renting a truck for two days (usually leave the ramps around 2-3 am and return as late as 5-6 pm), the cost and inconvenience of going thru the rental process may not be worth the hassle versus slipping.

Comments or suggestions?
Buy a new truck

woodfish330

Aug 14, 2012
San Fransisco,CA USA
Name
John
Boat
Fishead
There are plenty of retired guys selling low mile used trucks that would suffice for a tow vehicle for those dozen or so trips a year to SD.

Slip fees are a never ending "tax" on your fishing desire. Like putting your stuff in"storage".... After a few years (good used truck paid off)....you'll still be paying for that slip..... Over and over. NEVER ENDING.

Me I would find a great "tow vehicle". Hell for quite a few years my dad towed the SKIPPY with his COUPE de VILLE. Worked great..... just saying.... there's other ways to skin the cat without committing to years of endless payments and slip fee increases.

Reactions: frazier

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
Also keep in mind as soon as you put your boat in a slip you run the risk of the tax man giveing you a bill for property taxes for what HE thinks your boat is worth ! These guys walk the docks all the time checking CF numbers for guys not paying taxes . They cant get ya if your parked in your driveway !

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
In my opinion it's not worth having a slip for 2-3 trips a month.. I keep my new to me parker 23 in a slip at Campland and I use the boat probably 2-3 times a week as it is a 7 minute drive from my house. I pay about 300 and change for a monthly slip.Your 25' might be too big there, my 23 with bracket outboard is a tight squeeze. The fairways/channels are not very wide.

Reactions: baitedgyro

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
I agree with the truck suggestions (bought mine for $3000 back in 2012).

That said, does someone know slip fees in SD? The man asked the question.

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
I posted my price at campland, you gotta spend the time to call around as most marinas don't post online

Phat Boat

Apr 18, 2004
San Diego
Name
Jon
Boat
Grady White Marlin 300
Wow-slips rule Im surprised by the negative comments. I walk away and drive home DONE. I trailered boats for 15 years and slipped for 15 years-slip all the way. Its fun to just hang out at the slip.

Estimates from past experience-

San Diego bay, maybe $500-600 at harbor island west, $700 at Kona Kai.

Mission bay
350-450 at Marina village
600-700 at Hyatt (not 100%)

and the rest of mission bay is waiting lists.

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
Sea world had a 35' ft slip available last I checked it was around 500

Reactions: Reel hip

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Try it. You can always change your mind. 13.50 a foot is about where it starts. If you like fishing in Mexico than San Diego Bay, Mission Bay if you near shore fishing. I have not looked into guest slips but that may also be an option.

pescaloco

fish hunter
Aug 17, 2005
san diego
Name
Mark B.
Boat
27 Foot Stringari Custom
I pay $530 a month at Marina Cortez in harbor island
30 foot slip

uglyducky

I heard there was gonna be cake?
Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Boston Whaler Challenger 27'
Wow-slips rule Im surprised by the negative comments. I walk away and drive home DONE. I trailered boats for 15 years and slipped for 15 years-slip all the way. Its fun to just hang out at the slip.

Estimates from past experience-

San Diego bay, maybe $500-600 at harbor island west, $700 at Kona Kai.

Mission bay
350-450 at Marina village
600-700 at Hyatt (not 100%)

and the rest of mission bay is waiting lists.
agree wholeheartedly. a slip turns a LOOOOOOOOOONG day of hauling, putting in/pulling out into a 5 minute process. i'm 100% for it.

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
agree wholeheartedly. a slip turns a LOOOOOOOOOONG day of hauling, putting in/pulling out into a 5 minute process. i'm 100% for it.
Yeah it's great. We got to the slip at 930am this morning, went over to la jolla for a couple hours , caught some bonito and rockfish, back in by 1pm, wouldnt bother doing that short of a trip if I was trailering

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Yeah it's great. We got to the slip at 930am this morning, went over to la jolla for a couple hours , caught some bonito and rockfish, back in by 1pm, wouldnt bother doing that short of a trip if I was trailering
congrats on your new rig btw!!

Reactions: Big_Tuna_

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
I too dig the slip .
After 20 years of trailering, bought Phat boats old rig in a slip .
What a great time and so much less hassle .
One other option is get the slip from say June to October and trailer the other times .
It is convenient despite the bottom paint , cleaning , etc.
It made me double or triple my time on the water .
Marina Village is nice .

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Sea world had a 35' ft slip available last I checked it was around 500
Slips are plenty easy! Nice to spend time on the water without even moving if need be.
If the slip at Sea World holds a 35ft then the beam is too wide and you have a full slip. My slip fee for my 35 ft is $648.

My 25 Skipjack Fly is in a shared slip. Its $337.50.

That said I bring my 25 home every year in December and save. You do run the gamble in April of no vacancy though.

From your area I would buy a truck. even if you slip it you'll need to pull it sometimes. Notice I said "buy a truck" not a "light truck".

baitedgyro

Dec 1, 2009
SANTA CLARITA
Name
David
Boat
25' Boston Whaler 1983
Gentlemen, thanks for your all comments!!

You all have given some good insight being a possible first-time slip person.

What I find interesting is to use the slip for certain months (high seasonal times), then trailer it in the slower months, I didn't know about that part.

So with that scenario, you're giving up your slip for the slower months but are you able to get the same slip back or just go back on a wait list or ? I'm thinking about what Reel Hip said.

Those mentioning the slip fees.....thanks also!

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
I'm in Marina Village Mission bay and there are alot of seasonal residents .
You most likely won't end up in the exact slip each year , but in the same general area .
if you plan ahead and don't wait til 4th of July , no reason to not get a spot.
Call the marina office and chat with someone - its free.
Good Luck in your decision.
Some great people on the docks who all share the passion for the ocean .

Elitetv1958

Sep 20, 2005
Las Vegas
Name
Dan
Boat
Music
I have a 25’ sailboat in the Dana Inn Marina on Mission Bay. Slip is $410 a month.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Don't forget about bottom cleaning every 7-10 days when the water is warm, If you don't have bottom paint on your boat. It adds up with the slip fee's and bottom cleaning and renting a truck. Your better off investing the $$$ in a full size truck instead of throwing your money away and still not have a truck!

uglyducky

Dec 5, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Jesse Collin
Boat
Don't forget about bottom cleaning every 7-10 days when the water is warm, If you don't have bottom paint on your boat. It adds up with the slip fee's and bottom cleaning and renting a truck. Your better off investing the $$$ in a full size truck instead of throwing your money away and still not have a truck!
it’s like $50/mo. You’d easily pay that or more in gas money.

SOUTHWEST

May 20, 2003
San Diego
Visit site
Name
Tom
Boat
27 Albemarle
The mathematics for me is if I store a boat on land it's about $250/month. Add GAAP accounting for a truck (I don't have one, and for liability purposes it's going to be new; not towing something down the highway with something that could be a lemon) AND trailer and you are really splitting hairs about whether it's more expensive to keep a boat on land or in a slip. I've done both, and I am not a fan of backing a boat in between a RV and another boat after a 16-hr. day.