Sliding sinker on a short fluoro leader?

mrmdubb

Jul 25, 2007
Tustin
Name
Michael
Boat
none
Ever since the local BFT have become a fixture in socal for the past 6-7 years, I've been booking offshore trips. Over that time span I've switched all my gear to braid w/a short fluoro leader and haven't gone back to mono at all. Last week I chartered a trip to Cat and had to use sliding egg sinkers for the first time since I've transitioned to braid. It was a decent trip catching plenty of calico, sheephead and 1 YT for the boat but it got me thinking...

How far up the line does a sliding sinker actually slide? And if, on a mono setup, it would slide a good distance away from the bait, then does using an egg sinker on a 5-6 foot leader affect the bait presentation in a negative way?

We were catching fish but I was wondering, in theory, if the sinker stopping 5-6 feet from the bait (at the braid-fluoro connection) was a bad thing. Anyone have any expert knowledge on this or even anecotal theories?

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Ever since the local BFT have become a fixture in socal for the past 6-7 years, I've been booking offshore trips. Over that time span I've switched all my gear to braid w/a short fluoro leader and haven't gone back to mono at all. Last week I chartered a trip to Cat and had to use sliding egg sinkers for the first time since I've transitioned to braid. It was a decent trip catching plenty of calico, sheephead and 1 YT for the boat but it got me thinking...

How far up the line does a sliding sinker actually slide? And if, on a mono setup, it would slide a good distance away from the bait, then does using an egg sinker on a 5-6 foot leader affect the bait presentation in a negative way?

We were catching fish but I was wondering, in theory, if the sinker stopping 5-6 feet from the bait (at the braid-fluoro connection) was a bad thing. Anyone have any expert knowledge on this or even anecotal theories?
    Any sinker will effect the way the bait swim,s. How far up the line it goes is a loaded question. Long and short it will sink to the bottom eventually and the bait becomes further away from your sinker. It all depends on Your line lb test, Current, weight of sinker and the size and condition of your bait. To answer your question with a simple answer it's not possible, The scenarios are endless. Sorry, Maybe someone else can answer it better than I did.

Reactions: mrmdubb and yessokk
    Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    KEVINA in the post above pretty much tells it like it is. Might suggest you try the below to help minimize possible issues.
    Stay away from rubber core sinkers, can guarantee they will get tangled with itself or something sooner or later.
    My preferred method is to lock the slider in position with two
    Carolina Keepers. One above and one below the slider. About
    18-24 inches above the hook. In the pic below add one keeper above the lead and forget the red bead. The keepers come in red and clear. And as a suggestion control the rate of descent. If too fast the bait can be forced up past the lead next to the main line increasing chances of entanglement.

Walt

PS: Mr. RichG below puts forth a very simple way to lock the slider in position, in fact I like it better then what I have been doing. Great idea.
    Thanks for the tooth pick sir,,,,, 👍

1593177599859.png
    K

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    KEVINA in the post above pretty much tells it like it is. Might suggest you try the below to help minimize possible issues.
    Stay away from rubber core sinkers, can guarantee they will get tangled with itself or something sooner or later.
    My preferred method is to lock the slider in position with two
    Carolina Keepers. One above and one below the slider. About
    18-24 inches above the hook. In the pic below add one keeper above the lead and forget the red bead. The keepers come in red and clear. And as a suggestion control the rate of descent. If too fast the bait can be forced up past the lead next to the main line increasing chances of entanglement.

Walt

View attachment 1162136K

You can always sticks few wood tooth pick in to wedge the sinker. It works to lock it in place

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

IFish4Sanity&SelectivelyHarvest
  • Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    Maybe I missed something, but I think the Original Poster (OP) was asking about a rig where the egg starts sitting on the hook and slides up the leader, to the leader to braid knot. While I don't like this rig because I feel the egg sitting on the hook restricts the bait's movement too much, I don't think the egg hitting the knot is an issue.

If on the other hand, he was asking about a rig where the egg is sliding on the braid above the leader to braid connection, usually with a swivel in there, I would say that making sure that your leader isn't more than 3/4 the length and preferrably =/<1/2 the length of your rod is important for ease of casting. THIS IS THE WAY I PREFER TO FISH WITH EGG WEIGHTS.

Pinning the egg in place, either with a keeper or toothpick, does help keep the package together for ease of casting and help you have a better idea of where your bait is relative to the sinker, but it also restricts the bait's movement a little.

Upvote 0

mrmdubb

Jul 25, 2007
    Tustin
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    Maybe I missed something, but I think the Original Poster (OP) was asking about a rig where the egg starts sitting on the hook and slides up the leader, to the leader to braid knot. While I don't like this rig because I feel the egg sitting on the hook restricts the bait's movement too much, I don't think the egg hitting the knot is an issue.

If on the other hand, he was asking about a rig where the egg is sliding on the braid above the leader to braid connection, usually with a swivel in there, I would say that making sure that your leader isn't more than 3/4 the length and preferrably =/<1/2 the length of your rod is important for ease of casting. THIS IS THE WAY I PREFER TO FISH WITH EGG WEIGHTS.

Pinning the egg in place, either with a keeper or toothpick, does help keep the package together for ease of casting and help you have a better idea of where your bait is relative to the sinker, but it also restricts the bait's movement a little.

You're correct. I was referring to the first scenario you outlined. I was just thinking that if an egg sinker would normally slide 10, 20 or 30 feet up the line when soaking a bait on a reel spooled with straight mono, then maybe it's not a good idea to tie a sliding sinker onto a "kelp cutter" setup (braid w/short fluoro leader) because the sinker would only be able to slide along the short distance of the leader. I just have no idea how far the sinker actually slides. Ultimately, it was just a random thought that came to mind while fishing. Haha.

It's been close to 20 years since I used a carolina keeper. Memories of my early 20's when I was a walk-on on the Patriot out of Newport Landing back in the day. I've just been out of the inshore game for so long I didn't come prepared for this setup. Never even heard of the toothpick method. Learned something new. Great stuff guys. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

• Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    In the Video above, the egg sliding up the line is touched on. Basically you don't want it to slide too far up the line as it will make setting the hook difficult. You want to control the distance by thumbing the spool.

Upvote 0

heman

Almost A Member
    Apr 23, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    heman
    Boat
    \___/
    You're correct. I was referring to the first scenario you outlined. I was just thinking that if an egg sinker would normally slide 10, 20 or 30 feet up the line when soaking a bait on a reel spooled with straight mono, then maybe it's not a good idea to tie a sliding sinker onto a "kelp cutter" setup (braid w/short fluoro leader) because the sinker would only be able to slide along the short distance of the leader. I just have no idea how far the sinker actually slides. Ultimately, it was just a random thought that came to mind while fishing. Haha.

It's been close to 20 years since I used a carolina keeper. Memories of my early 20's when I was a walk-on on the Patriot out of Newport Landing back in the day. I've just been out of the inshore game for so long I didn't come prepared for this setup. Never even heard of the toothpick method. Learned something new. Great stuff guys. Thanks.

why not use the carolina keeper on the other side and have the weight slide between the keeper and the hook then? You can adjust as needed, would work the same in theory?

Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    I have used the E-Z weights the are sliding weights that can be put on or taken off your line without removing the hook. put that right above the fluoro leader and it stays there at the lowest point

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    I guess I am the only guy using tuna rings? The weight stops at the ring, and does not slide down to the hook, and with careful deployment, the egg will not slide up much. No need to pinch anything on the line, and the egg still moves, giving the line feel to pick up a bite.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I guess I am the only guy using tuna rings? The weight stops at the ring, and does not slide down to the hook, and with careful deployment, the egg will not slide up much. No need to pinch anything on the line, and the egg still moves, giving the line feel to pick up a bite.
    Does this "tuna ring" differ from a ordinary stainless steel solid ring?

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Basically the same-I have used a Seguar knot and left tags that keep the egg from sliding down also.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    here is screen shot
    FEAEC132-D59B-4B5D-824B-B8212F64B8A0.jpeg

once u tie ur leader on, slide this on, it stays, looks like a rubber core but it is not, its a sliding egg sinker. goes off and on in 1 second

you can also put so it slides up and down to hook and when tired of it slide it off

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    here is screen shot
    View attachment 1164200

once u tie ur leader on, slide this on, it stays, looks like a rubber core but it is not, its a sliding egg sinker. goes off and on in 1 second
    I just use the Sinker Straight to the hook,
    and you will not have A problem, if you let the Rod load up before setting
    the Hook, with the Carolina keeper it will get you in more tangles. then what its worth,
    I used to use them on every Bait rig I used..

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Wade K in deep

• Sep 24, 2019
    Mariposa, CA
    Name
    Wade Knupp
    Boat
    Kayak & Kickboat
    That was a big Egg. He did say it was rigged for Yellowtail and the hook size with it makes me think it was to go with Large Sardines, Scad Maks or small Pac Maks. He did say for Anchovies to use 1/8 to 1/4oz.
    As a rule of thumb, I like my egg sinker to be smaller than the size of the baits gill plate, and my hook to have a gape equal to or slightly larger than the back of the bait side to side.
    He also keyed in on what causes the vast majority of tangles, what I call Slack Jawed Yokels with as much slack in their line as is in their jaw. Don't be the guy who hasn't felt the quiver of his bait for a whole minute! You should know the instant the bait goes from I'm a little scared, to Terrified, to Eaten.

Upvote 0

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
    sacramento, ca.
    Name
    randy welsh
    Boat
    16' mirrocraft
    I was aboard the searcher I think it was one trip where we were having kind of a tough YT bite.

There was a kid with a big spinning outfit that kept getting bit but couldn't close the deal.

Like you do I looked to see what he was doing.

Not knowing any better evidently he would just open the bail and let his setup drop out.

I tried to imitate and as I recall did end up getting bit but just think about how that was causing the bait to behave.

My take is don't rule anything out,
    there are no rules and if you think a thing might work try it.

Upvote 0

Darrell

Nov 25, 2015
    Bonita
    Name
    Darrell
    Boat
    Kayak
    I frequently fish the egg sinker that slides right down to the hook. Recently got off the shogun and got a 100 pound class Bluefin using a 2 ounce sliding sinker with sardine during the day. Not a fan of the traditional sinker rig with all the tangles and such and restricts the bait, unless at night where they eat anything. I also use it on longer trips. last year at Alijos rocks people are getting rocked fishing dropper loops or yo-yo but by using a two or 3 ounce slider I was able to get A bait down deep enough to get bit but never got rocked