PE Pete

Tight lines PE Pete
Apr 20, 2018
New Zealand
Name
Pe Pete
Boat
Quickbite
Hi all, so recently got a good deal on a Jigstar Ninja MH spin and needed a good strong PE8 spin reel so went with a Slammer lll 8500.
The Slammer ticked all the boxes, pe8 braid capacity, low ratio, good price. What could go wrong??
So got the reel spooled up with PE8 jigging braid and took it home to introduce it my new Ninja. What could go wrong ??
Went to put the reel on the rod and WTF the reel wouldn't fit. ...
In my mind I had matched the two components IE. rod is rated upto PE8 reel will take PE8 etc..
Tried dropping down to a 7500 size but same reel foot. .Grrrrr....
Took the Slammer back to my very friendly store and tried to put the reel on other mainstream PE8 jigging rods and we couldn't find anything to fit the reel foot. Very frustrating. .
I ended up getting a credit on the Slammer and bought a Stella 20k SWB which fits the reel seat of the ninja perfectly. .
Shame because I really rate the Slammer but WTF ??

Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 4, 2005
By the lake
Name
Tunanorth
Boat
Bass Tracker 16
Hi all, so recently got a good deal on a Jigstar Ninja MH spin and needed a good strong PE8 spin reel so went with a Slammer lll 8500.
The Slammer ticked all the boxes, pe8 braid capacity, low ratio, good price. What could go wrong??
So got the reel spooled up with PE8 jigging braid and took it home to introduce it my new Ninja. What could go wrong ??
Went to put the reel on the rod and WTF the reel wouldn't fit. ...
In my mind I had matched the two components IE. rod is rated upto PE8 reel will take PE8 etc..
Tried dropping down to a 7500 size but same reel foot. .Grrrrr....
Took the Slammer back to my very friendly store and tried to put the reel on other mainstream PE8 jigging rods and we couldn't find anything to fit the reel foot. Very frustrating. .
I ended up getting a credit on the Slammer and bought a Stella 20k SWB which fits the reel seat of the ninja perfectly. .
Shame because I really rate the Slammer but WTF ??

Interesting. The Slammer models are the same the world over, but are indeed designed in the US, and fit fine on most US-market rod brands/models. The brands/models you mention are not sold here, so it may be that a modified version is necessary for other areas. I will pass this along to the design engineers.

Upvote 0

DennisV

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Even the Battle 1&2 have big feet, along with the Slammer. They were too big for Daiwa Ardito 11' 5-piece travel rods. (6000 size reels) I had to file them down a whole bunch to get them to fit.

Upvote 0

PE Pete

Tight lines PE Pete
Apr 20, 2018
New Zealand
Name
Pe Pete
Boat
Quickbite
Interesting. The Slammer models are the same the world over, but are indeed designed in the US, and fit fine on most US-market rod brands/models. The brands/models you mention are not sold here, so it may be that a modified version is necessary for other areas. I will pass this along to the design engineers.

TN, appreciate your response mate. I wonder if it's just the larger models because I have the 4500 on a Yamaga blue sniper 79/3 and it fits perfectly.
I should say I'm a fan of the Slammer lll reels as are many others in NZ so think it may be a sales prohibition for the mech jiggers here.

Upvote 0