RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Took a fellow BD member out last night, been showing pictures and bragging about bugs for quite a while now but we got skunked after 5 sets, not only did I feel bad I was pissed driving home a skunky boat so after work today I jumped on solo with fresh bait hoping to break the chain But it was not to be. Couple of guys post up here that they’re having trouble getting bugs, all I can say is you’re not alone it’s fishing not catching but you have to love the hunt, for me it was very peaceful being on the boat alone tonight for a few hours, a flapper would’ve been sweet but not a deal breaker.

FBA43A0E-5064-44A3-B51C-AFCF1E80D749.jpeg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Thanks for the report, sorry about the lack of bugs! I think the anticipation of the hunt is part of the whole picture too. At least I tell myself that! You will be back, getting them again, just a lull.Thanks for all the intel...

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Took a fellow BD member out last night, been showing pictures and bragging about bugs for quite a while now but we got skunked after 5 sets, not only did I feel bad I was pissed driving home a skunky boat so after work today I jumped on solo with fresh bait hoping to break the chain But it was not to be. Couple of guys post up here that they’re having trouble getting bugs, all I can say is you’re not alone it’s fishing not catching but you have to love the hunt, for me it was very peaceful being on the boat alone tonight for a few hours, a flapper would’ve been sweet but not a deal breaker.

View attachment 1100113
    I have your solution, call me!!
    I sent it to you. John.

Upvote 0
    Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    So if I am correct, the spots you worked could re-populate and be great, productive spots in the future, with different conditions? Or, It could be an area where there are undesirable features or depth? I guess if you had good luck in the past at the same spots, one may revisit them. I would like to know "the solution" too! I need get inside the head of a lobster and crawl around for a while!

Reactions: martman
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    So if I am correct, the spots you worked could re-populate and be great, productive spots in the future, with different conditions? Or, It could be an area where there are undesirable features or depth? I guess if you had good luck in the past at the same spots, one may revisit them. I would like to know "the solution" too! I need get inside the head of a lobster and crawl around for a while!
    I don't like to overthink or big deal things when I do it ruins the fun, I check all the factors but NEVER stay home because a of a moon or slack tide, I just dig being on the boat with friends and fishin if we nail em then that's even better . This post was not to complain but rather let others that might be frustrated know it happens to most of us from time to time.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320

Most of the lobsters, at least the ones I talk to, are out in deeper water for the moment.
    It's also time for most lobsters to spawn/reproduce.
    This is one reason lobsters head to deeper water.
    Another reason is snotty weather, where the lobsters say "F this!" and head deeper instead of being pounded by Mother Nature.
    Another reason to head deeper is molting.
    Capiche!?

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Haven't been skunked yet a couple nights for 4 bugs. Im sure my time coming though. But like you i enjoy being on the water every chance i get.. when do you go fishing ? When you can .keep at it .

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    I haven't been skunked yet either, but those 10-14 bug trips are long gone. We've been blessed with 2-3 bugs each of the last 3 trips and we always get our 2nd on that late last set pull of the night. We are trying new spots with half our hoops for the first half of the night then if nothing happens there then we pull them and carpet bomb the location where we got our first bug of the night. It amazes me there is a spot where several guys were pulling limits early in the season off this one shelf in the bay in shallow water and we tried it later and were covered with shorts missing one antenna or a couple of legs they had been caught so many times. And now recently we put 5 hours in there for one short where did they all go?

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    I'll say one thing though after your 3rd set pull and that one legal goes into the tank after so many empty hoops your outlook on life certainly changes for the better and if you get a second legal bug it makes the night no matter how late!

Upvote 0

yellowfish26

Totally Nude 24/7
    Aug 21, 2008
    Chula Vista/Ca/USA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    26ft Seaswirl. The Big Chorizo
    I haven't been skunked yet either, but those 10-14 bug trips are long gone. We've been blessed with 2-3 bugs each of the last 3 trips and we always get our 2nd on that late last set pull of the night. We are trying new spots with half our hoops for the first half of the night then if nothing happens there then we pull them and carpet bomb the location where we got our first bug of the night. It amazes me there is a spot where several guys were pulling limits early in the season off this one shelf in the bay in shallow water and we tried it later and were covered with shorts missing one antenna or a couple of legs they had been caught so many times. And now recently we put 5 hours in there for one short where did they all go?
    Holy shit. You guys cant put two and two together? Spots get cleaned out of legals pretty quickly and they dont repopulate nearly as fast. Thats why all you are catching are the same juveniles over and over. Especially in the bays or just shallow water in general. Same thing every year.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Holy shit. You guys cant put two and two together? Spots get cleaned out of legals pretty quickly and they dont repopulate nearly as fast. Thats why all you are catching are the same juveniles over and over. Especially in the bays or just shallow water in general. Same thing every year.

No kidding Einstein! That's an indicator of how much traffic hits the shelf as we would see 3-6 boats on top of each other. But where do the shorts go they can't just disappear, or do they? 1 short in 5 hours compared to 2-6 shorts in every hoop I would hope they didn't get poached

Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    We had 36 shorts 4 keepers last trip.

Reactions: FloMar
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Wife was doing Christmas craft crap ( her favorite time of year). My radio was wonky the other night so that was my excuse to go down to the boat grabbed bait from the freezer just in case, piss on a plate conditions five shorts one keeper for three sets, got the skunk off the boat n she never even missed me!

A0C16C1A-9849-46EB-9896-2ED7613AB4F9.png 8FFE2B60-0E89-46B0-BD11-509902FEA81F.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Nice job double-R, HH, and I'd say you were successful! John.

Upvote 0