Offshore Skunked and tired of the smell

PENN

CaptJimH

Mar 26, 2014
Name
Jim Hartmann
Boat
2006 22.5 c Key West
Left Oceanside around 4:30 with a load of mixed bait anchovies and sardines. Headed to 181 where the reports from Saturday looked promising and was there for good part of the day. Trolled, soaked baits and nothing going. Moved to 209 and counted 26 boats watching one guy reeling in for 35 minutes. Trolled the area looking for any active birds or patties and nothing. Skunk smells and does not feed me…. reports on the radio were scarce and mostly from 403 area.

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 15, 2008
United States of America
Name
A
Boat
Was the guy in a pilot house with a green canvas top at the 209? Never saw what he pulled up.

It was a beautiful day out but we did not find a single paddy all day. Traveled about 100 miles from Dana to the entire 209 and only found a pod of dolphins. Stuck with them for about 30 minutes for nothing. Found terns working the water in three areas but we only had 9" macks to work with.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Yup got skunked Saturday as well. 182 to the 43 to the N9 for nada...
Ran into nothing but people charging up on a patty as soon as you stopped and started chumming.
Reminded me why I don't go out on the weekends!

Upvote 0

Surfingbuddhist

Almost A Member
Oct 17, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Glen
Boat
4 Reelz
I had the same experience on Saturday. Launched out of DP, where my boat is stored, and ran down to Oceanside for bait. Got an awesome scoop of anchovies, sardines and macs. Ran SW to 182-181 ridge. Saw zero kelps on the way. Approaching the ridge, we saw the side a big fish jump out of the water, possibly a marlin? Started trolling for nada. Ran north to the tip of 181. No kelps, no bites on troll. Ran west to the 289. Found some mini kelps with no fish. Most of the chatter on ch. 72 were reporting wide open bites further south around the 9. Burned lots of fuel and oil for nothing. So it goes. Back to the drawing board for this weekend.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2014
Valley Center
Name
Blaine
Boat
20' Bayrunner/ 75 HP Evinrude 2 stroke
Same here ran out of PL on Friday and ran all over 9 mile, nada. Saw 2 paddys all day both dry, skunked. Sunday I ran out of O side to the 209 and the 181 to find the only paddy in the entire ocean apparently. 50 bucks for mixed "primo" bait. Pulled up 1 yft good size but that's all for the day.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
also guys, its worth noting, that a good set of Binos is worth its weight in gold. :D

I happen to have great long range vision, but the binos are like X10.

Upvote 0

Brucev

Aug 7, 2014
Name
Bruce
Boat
Sea Ray 220SD
I guess I wasn't the only one skunked Saturday. Hit the water in DP about 4am, only macs at the barge and headed for the 209 trolled around most of the morning. Saw four or five jump but that was just a tease. Wish you all the best of luck the next trip out. Looks like I need to wait two to three weeks before I am free again.

Reactions: CaptJimH
Upvote 0

joeamerican30

San Diego Adventure, Inc.
Dec 10, 2011
san diego/ca/usa
www.SanDiegoAdventure.net
Name
Joe
Boat
Trophy Pro 2359
Sorry man! I went 100+ miles on Friday for one small yellowtail. Found jumping Tuna west of the 226 but couldn't get them to bite, threw a ton of chum... everything. I'm blaming it on the lousy chovy bait we got. The boat in front of us at the bait barge took the last scoop of dines and all we got were beat up, non-swimming chovies. Good bait is SOOO important!

Upvote 0

ISLAND BOUND

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
I heard a lot of skunks Saturday, but the fish were there. We got 5 very nice YFT near the 302 but could of plugged the boat if we would of started south instead of west. OH well its fishing. Good bait may have helped

Upvote 0

D-spot

Fishing....... Where You're Not.......
May 21, 2008
Diego
Name
Ray
Boat
23' Neptune CC "Non-Stop"
X2.... Just a suggestion....Figure out where all the fish have been getting caught.....That's where most of the boats will be ....Then go somewhere else....Fish are every where....Not just around Flotilla.

Reactions: joelgame and 2small
Upvote 0

Tdubbzskis

Jun 19, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
Don't got one yet :/
also guys, its worth noting, that a good set of Binos is worth its weight in gold. :D

I happen to have great long range vision, but the binos are like X10.

Man I tried bringing my binos a couple weeks ago on a buddies boat and after looking through them for about 30 seconds trying to stabilize the horizon my eyes went crossed! I think the pirates back in the day had it right looking through one of those spyglass telescope chingaderas!

Upvote 0

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
We whacked em' Sat down south, but caught ALL fish on kelps. We pulled the trollers in and covered water. I think that's the key. We had a wide open paddy first thing outside of Nados, but several boats came in and ruined it. That's the argument for running your own, less traveled course. Trolling seems unproductive these days... Sucks, cause I love to troll!

Upvote 0

Hardcor

Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
Every Trip you get better ! Next trip you will kill them ! Our luck has come on heavy chumming. We have had to work at it to get a bite going.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
I'm going to reiterate what someone else said....stop trolling and look for birds! It's one thing for a cattle boat to troll around as they go slow anyway so they might as well pull a lure. Private boaters on the other hand can cover a lot of water in short order. Find the birds....or possibly the ponies and work that area. We fished south of the 209 on Saturday and hammered the tuna. I would also suggest listening to the radio. Don't expect to find the fish that way, but it can be a useful tool if you pay attention. I would also add that you do not have to find paddies to put fish on the boat. Nearly every tuna we've caught this season has been absent a paddy in sight. Keep working hard and your efforts will eventually result in fish.....good luck out there!

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
Keep doing what you're doing. Yes there's lots of fish out there but it still comes down to right place right time. Guys are eyeballing and finding the stuff in their field of vision. Nothing more nothing less. I blanked yesterday in the 209/312 area from 7:00 AM to 1:00PM in crystal blue 76 degree water. Well out of the area by 2:30 PM I hear the radio blow up on acreage of breaking BFT at the 209.

Right place at the right time. The frustrating part is there's lots of right places and the wrong time....trust me, I know first hand.

Reactions: MikeyLikesIt
Upvote 0