racer66

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 30, 2009
Ramona CA
Name
John
Boat
Sea Fox 206 commander
Left the bait dock about 6am, little bumpy ride out still able to cruise 15-18 mph. Trolled from Coronado Canyon to 226-302-226 then to the corner. From there I could see boats all over the horizon including lots of sport boats. All radio traffic was skunk except an occasional I got one. Did see one patty at the corner but no one was home. Trolled around the Corner to 182 area dropped baits now and then when we saw some bird action. Saw one foamer at about 2:30 but they went down pretty quick. Saw one guy hooked up on a big sportfisher that was dumping a lot of chum, had his own bird scholl going. Started back to the barn at 3:00 and radio traffic started to announce biters at the 226 and 302. Considered running down but it was 10 miles away so we headed home. Good luck.

Saturday I boated 4 out of 6 yellowtail off one patty at the 226, 12-15# on 25# test. One good kelp can make you a hero or zero!

El pescator

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 14, 2013
Point Loma
Name
Ed
Boat
20' Customized Aquasport
Left the bait dock about 6am, little bumpy ride out still able to cruise 15-18 mph. Trolled from Coronado Canyon to 226-302-226 then to the corner. From there I could see boats all over the horizon including lots of sport boats. All radio traffic was skunk except an occasional I got one. Did see one patty at the corner but no one was home. Trolled around the Corner to 182 area dropped baits now and then when we saw some bird action. Saw one foamer at about 2:30 but they went down pretty quick. Saw one guy hooked up on a big sportfisher that was dumping a lot of chum, had his own bird scholl going. Started back to the barn at 3:00 and radio traffic started to announce biters at the 226 and 302. Considered running down but it was 10 miles away so we headed home. Good luck.

Saturday I boated 4 out of 6 yellowtail off one patty at the 226, 12-15# on 25# test. One good kelp can make you a hero or zero!
Nice report. Sounds like an afternoon thing

Reactions: jbl_91762

clizza

Oct 3, 2012
fontana ca us
Name
cliff
Boat
a-saltweapon
Same exact here

Reactions: stuman

HeraBera

Jul 26, 2020
az
Name
NICHOLAS W SLATER
Boat
seapro 220
I am very new to all of this and I have a few questions if you guys dont mind.
1. what time does the live bait area open in mission bay?
2. what radio channel does everyone on the water stay on and talk back and forth?
If you catch Tuna in mexican waters do those count towards your 2 fish limit for the day?

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
happens to the best of them right?! But I've noticed the gents that post here that the bite is in the afternoon rather the AM. Might have to start thinking of a gentlemans launch and stay till sunset.

Reactions: clizza

HeraBera

Jul 26, 2020
az
Name
NICHOLAS W SLATER
Boat
seapro 220
Bait dock is 7/24. Channel 72 for the most talk and Mr Wong. 68 for the wine and cheese crowd in yachts. Yes-two BFT is it.
thank you for the reply. If we only fish mexican waters we do not need to have a california fishing license do we?

"all-in"

Oct 5, 2005
Garden Grove
Name
Chris
Boat
24, Angler, All-In
thank you for the reply. If we only fish mexican waters we do not need to have a california fishing license do we?
I believe that is correct but you must have you Mexican Declaration Form filled out before entering US waters. I prefer to always have a US license. I don't have to worry about getting a DFG agent that is having a bad day. You also never know what you may come across in US waters.

Mexico Limits
BFT limit is 2
YFT, YT limit is 5
Dorado limit is 2

HeraBera

Jul 26, 2020
az
Name
NICHOLAS W SLATER
Boat
seapro 220
ok thank you very much. is that form available on their website?

Skin Boat to Tuna Town

Well-Known "Member"
May 8, 2015
Name
Chuck
Boat
Buck Nasty
2. what radio channel does everyone on the water stay on and talk back and forth?
If you catch Tuna in mexican waters do those count towards your 2 fish limit for the day?
Google is an amazing tool when used right.... or wrong.

Skin Boat to Tuna Town

Well-Known "Member"
May 8, 2015
Name
Chuck
Boat
Buck Nasty
thats why i wanted to pick the brains of the guys that do it all the time. google migt steer me wrong. thanks guys
I would trust google over some of these clowns. I kid... Good luck out there.

Also, props on the report. I feel you get more important info on the skink trips than the successful trips.

Gafff

Fishing is life
Aug 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
Jason
Boat
Working on it
Went 5 for 7 yft around 226, pretty sporty out there, live bait was the trick, light line, 20lb fluoro, tried bumping up to 30 and didnt work. I threw snipers right on the boils and couldnt get one to go, even though they were boiling everywhere. The swell made locating paddys and foamers difficult. Follow the birds!

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
nice report thank you

tirrafirma

Aug 12, 2004
Vista, Cal.
Name
Maksim
Boat
248 Commander SEAFOX
😂😂 Bait dock is 7/24. Channel 72 for the most talk and Mr Wong. 68 for the wine and cheese crowd in yachts

Baja Belk

Long sappy fish stories.
Sep 8, 2009
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Mike
Boat
18.5 Striper CC - Puro Grande "Only Big Ones"
Don’t forget also that your TOTAL bag limit in MX is ten fish. No more than 5 of each species. So if you catch 5 yellowtail, and 2 dorado, you’re done. Or 5 yellowtail and 5 yellowfin. Or 2 dorado and 2 bluefin. Etc.

HeraBera

Jul 26, 2020
az
Name
NICHOLAS W SLATER
Boat
seapro 220
Don’t forget also that your TOTAL bag limit in MX is ten fish. No more than 5 of each species. So if you catch 5 yellowtail, and 2 dorado, you’re done. Or 5 yellowtail and 5 yellowfin. Or 2 dorado and 2 bluefin. Etc.
I am not sure I follow. its a 10 fish total bag limit but 2BF and 2 dorado mean youre done? would you mind elaborating a bit?

gpad77

Jul 31, 2020
Palos Verdes
Name
Greg Padilla
Boat
FBC

Thanks for the recap Racer66. Did you use live bait to catch the yellowtail on the paddies? Only have been able to get big sardines up here in LA, need to find the squid. What pound fluoro?

I grew up fishing offshore SD (point loma kelps beds, run down to Coronado island on a glassy day) now in LA and taking my daughters out to try and bag some local yellowtail. Izores and mussel farm seem to be the spot up here. Any advice from Pedro/Huntington guys?

Cheers!

racer66

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 30, 2009
Ramona CA
Name
John
Boat
Sea Fox 206 commander
Thanks for the recap Racer66. Did you use live bait to catch the yellowtail on the paddies? Only have been able to get big sardines up here in LA, need to find the squid. What pound fluoro?

I grew up fishing offshore SD (point loma kelps beds, run down to Coronado island on a glassy day) now in LA and taking my daughters out to try and bag some local yellowtail. Izores and mussel farm seem to be the spot up here. Any advice from Pedro/Huntington guys?

Cheers!
Caught the Yellowtail on Sardines with 25# floro leader on 25# mono. Most of the fish picked me up in under 8 seconds. My buddies fishing next to me couldnt buy a bite

gpad77

Jul 31, 2020
Palos Verdes
Name
Greg Padilla
Boat
FBC
Caught the Yellowtail on Sardines with 25# floro leader on 25# mono. Most of the fish picked me up in under 8 seconds. My buddies fishing next to me couldnt buy a bite
nose, collar, shoulder or butt hooked? devil is in the details :)

Sand Patroller

Jun 26, 2018
San Diego
Name
West
Boat
2020 World Cat “Knot Reel”
Racer you did better than us. Started south of the 302 and ran thru the 226 to 43 to 181 and then in for 3 dry big patties and no fish. Rough. I am tired of the wind and swell this summer. When we going to see the flat calm no wind weather. Weird summer.