Cheeseburger Killer

Beloved Son
Mar 27, 2018
So Very Cal
Name
Kent
Boat
Selling It...
Amigos- This one goes into the “Any day fishing is better than the alternative” bin. Headed out this morning with a stop at the O’side bait monger for some small to medium sardines with a nice cure on them. Best bait of the season so far. The plan was to head south of the powerplant to try to drift up a big ghost or flattie. We arrived just before high tide, so the water wasn’t moving much for the first 90 minutes. Water temp 69.5, no bait on the meter anywhere. Figured things would start to pick up once the ebb kicked in. Nope. Bailed on Plan A, bee-lined for S.Carlsbad kelp. Lots of very comfortable-looking bait in the kelp. Had a few undersized calicos follow our swimbaits, and nada mas. Plan C: Head north looking for birds. Found some, with dolphins feeding below them. Put some hardware out to see if we could dredge up what may have been tag-teaming the bait ball with Flipper. Followed them around for 40 minutes. Crickets. Called it a day.
Question to any marine biologist that reads these threads. The kelp bed south of the powerplant looks more dead than alive. What’s going on?...

Duatin

Nov 20, 2018
Oceanside
Name
Dsawyer
Boat
Formula 233 / Aquatrax Ski
Yeah there wasn’t much going on today.....I managed a calico and what I thought was a barracuda near the kelp you mentioned. Found lots of bait off of Camp Pendleton but nothing under it. Warm water will eventually kill off the kelp and the water temp is rising. That said from my limited experience this year hasn’t been bad for kelp.