Kman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
Sounds like Sunday. But without the skippies.

Last edited:

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
Sounds like our saturday....except the skippies.
Thanks for taking the time to put up a report :appl:

getaway

Aug 22, 2008
jamul
Name
jim
Boat
23 parker, sea venture
Damn. Really slim pickings lately. Maybe full moon?

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
Probably ran out of food source and retreated south. I saw almost nothing as far as bait . The 425 had some bait balls on the high spot early morning but that was it . I guess it's back to the balloon and Clemente .

Kman

Apr 7, 2003
So Cal
Name
Kurt
Boat
Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
The fleet is off Ensenada now.

Paul Ward

Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
A friend sent me a pic. from his overnite the deck was covered with tunas mostly skippies though..seams they have movedin.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Could be a coincidence, but it looks like most of the fleet is sitting in a cleaner pocket of water below all this green crap out front.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Needing to run long. Good bye smaller fuel bill and short days.

Hang tight they do swim

Reactions: embo

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Skippies make good lobster bait. Just saying. Anyone with an extra skippie, call me., text me. Trying to load up on hoop net bait. Joe 858 226-4105

Reactions: jer dog

soul troller

Mine bends where yours ends
Mar 14, 2004
Murrieta Ca
Name
Lou
Boat
Pursuit 2870 WA
Had a buddy who is a fish magnet report the same thing , only with a couple yft sprinkled in with the skippies.
I started bleeding , icing and making poke out of fresh ones last year , and they are pretty fricken delicious that way .
Thanks for the report .
I'm going broke heading south. May have to target YT this weekend.

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
May 18, 2013
Cali
Name
Dan Monster
Boat
Predatormonster
I like the optimism. I'm sorry if I shined light on skipjack as a lousy catch . It's just that we had high hopes for bft and yft again . My 11 year old son caught his first skipjack last year and insisted we eat it sashimi style . We did and not bad . Pound for pound an impressive fight on light gear .

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
No, no! You are getting it wrong! Skippies are for hoop net bait for Joe! No pokie, no smoking! Bait, thats it! (Kidding, never tried either!) Tiger tuna...

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
Smoked both skippies and YFT from last year's batch. Gave away the YFT. Bleed box with salt water. gill gut and pack on ice. Once cold firm, fillet. The fat content is perfect.

Reactions: Ib1 and esgeo

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Skipjack got their "cat food" reputation long ago when the local boats trying for albacore would run across them, and to get the fishermen to feel OK about pulling away from a foaming school of skipjack to go look for albacore (to get the counts up for the reports in the local newspaper) the crews kicked them around. Plus back in those days the fish were not bled, just stuffed into damp gunny sacks. And just like bonito and barracuda and most fish, a long day in a damp gunny sack is NOT the way to have good eats.

We are very fortunate here in SoCal, since the vast majority of the fleet has made the investment in refrigerated sea water holds, and the crews have been trained to bleed and treat the tuna-family fish with respect. Especially if you get them properly vacuum-sealed, you have better than restaurant-grade fish any way you want to prepare them for months to come.

Sawmill killer

Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
In Hawai they love their skippies/Aku.

The fish I had Five Star process for me last year was awesome.
Multiple times I put out YFT, BFT and Skipjack sashimi....every time Skippies won out especially with the people who weren't mega fish lovers (I prefer BFT)

I cold smoked some YFT and Skippies and Skipjack was far superior in texture and slightly better in flavour.

Gimme skipjack any day over Albacore too.