Skipjack Tuna Good Eating?

PENN

Bigsurfer

Sep 7, 2014
Name
Todd
Boat
None
Want to go out of Dana Wharf for Yellowfin Tuna but the counts lately have been more on Skippies. Seems to be good one day then a bit off the next...kind of up and down now. Never got one before. I know they fight well and are the fish in processed canned tuna (chunk light type) but are they good eating fresh? Need to get out there soon and prefer some exotics other than Skippies although they sound like a blast to get! Your opinions on Skipjack Tuna are appreciated...

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    They are known as Aku in Hawaii. If you get them bled and iced quickly, they make great poke and sashimi. I think cooking them ruins them, and if they are left in a gunny sack without being bled, they will turn to bloody mush suitable for feeding to your cat.

Do a search online for aku recipes. I made some ceviche and poke with one I caught a couple weeks ago. It was excellent.

Upvote 0

Munnster

Sep 17, 2007
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Michael Munn
    Boat
    20 foot, Searay
    As with all tuna, the quicker they are bled and iced the better. However, as OnoEric stated, if you don't they get REALLY fishy and mushy. Then you need to brine them for at least 12 hours and bake them for us in tuna sandwiches. Preferably with a wasabi mayonnaise as the base. Fresh and properly taken care of, either sashimi or cooked ruby rare.

Upvote 0

BassAssasin805

Almost A Member
    Nov 18, 2011
    Santa Paula CA.
    Name
    Sean Blackshear
    Boat
    Lil Mijo, 2015 Ranger 240 Bahia
    Bleed em and brine em! Good sushi, sashimi and poke. Don't cook them!
    image.jpg

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
    Sep 27, 2004
    Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
    Name
    Bill Parker
    Boat
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    They are known as Aku in Hawaii. If you get them bled and iced quickly, they make great poke and sashimi. I think cooking them ruins them, and if they are left in a gunny sack without being bled, they will turn to bloody mush suitable for feeding to your cat.

Do a search online for aku recipes. I made some ceviche and poke with one I caught a couple weeks ago. It was excellent.

Agree with the above it is also very good smoked. Again you must bleed it and ice immediately. Do not suggest BBQ.

Reactions: BassAssasin805
    Upvote 0

lkatdpelicanfly

Lizard Fish Slayer
    Jun 23, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    no
    Sometimes Skipjack is really good..almost indistinguishable from yft, sometimes it is just nasty...even if you bleed it. I've found a recipe however that makes it come out "great" every time...its kind of long and an involved process though. Last time i tried it after catching a crapload of skippies, i took over the basement of the apartment complex I was living in to prepare it this way..had too many complaints from other tenants tho...yabbering about the steam, stench and smoke drifting into their living room...keeping their kids awake...ayaiyai...cry me a fricken river!!! LOL

Upvote 0

bob12201

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2015
    Laguna Beach
    Name
    Matt M.
    Boat
    I Wish
    Its good, but MUST be bled and iced if possible. None of the dana boats have an rsw or a way to chill your catch down (there's a stray ice chest here and there, but I wouldn't expect to use it).

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
    Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    If you are going to eat any of this, uncooked... make sure you leave the fillets out in the open air for a good twenty minutes before making anything with it. That will tell you if it has worms or not.,.. and contrary to what a lot of people think, all the spices and shit you can put on them DOES NOT kill the worms. don't believe me check with the dfg, health department or your doctor when he tells you you have worms

Upvote 0

Foss

Senior Fossil
    Dec 16, 2003
    Bay Park
    www.jackinnis.com
    Name
    Jack
    Boat
    Not My Ride
    Good skipjack handling advice here. Very nice when smoked and canned in peanut oil. Great fish sandwiches and it keeps for years.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    My dogs love it.Its ok raw but after its cooked no thanks.

Reactions: boba1
    Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    When grilled it has an off color non appetizing flavor.

Upvote 0

HUSKEY BAY

Almost A Member
    Mar 6, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    ken
    Boat
    HUSKEY BAY
    Want to go out of Dana Wharf for Yellowfin Tuna but the counts lately have been more on Skippies. Seems to be good one day then a bit off the next...kind of up and down now. Never got one before. I know they fight well and are the fish in processed canned tuna (chunk light type) but are they good eating fresh? Need to get out there soon and prefer some exotics other than Skippies although they sound like a blast to get! Your opinions on Skipjack Tuna are appreciated...
    they can be fun to catch and are good smoked

Upvote 0