Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
Skipjack 24 Open - Pau Hana
Hey Guys,

I have a 1979 24 Skipjack Open.

I’ve had enough with these I/O motors and throwing on a bracket and outboard.

Many of you have gone the bracket conversion route. I was hoping someone has the dimensions for their transom written down for a ‘79. My boat is slipped and I’m trying to avoid getting in the water to do the measurements.

I will have a local fabricator finalize all dimensions before he builds it. He’s just trying to get the general idea so he can give me a quote.
Thanks boys

Reactions: bent rodz
Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
My 1979 28’ Skippy has a 12 degree transom

1F107DE4-BE85-428E-A4D8-C2BD0C53EC1E.jpeg

C.Bergs
C.Bergs
Thing looks badass! Thanks for the input
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
Upvote 0

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
Marina del Rey
Name
Cory
Boat
@bent rodz I remember following your build years ago. Such an insanely detailed project you put together.

@Fishbones What motors do you have on your 28? Such a sweet sled!

I got a new 2019 250hp Evinrude Etec G2. I'm having the bracket built by Arts Anvil Iron Works in Gardena, CA. Aprox. dimensions are 75"W x 25"H x 26"D - 13* pitch. Philip at Arts Anvil came recommended from my mechanic, Ernie, at Ryan Boats (also in Gardena).

Ernie will reinforce the transom, install the bracket, and mount the motor. Kind of weird for me. I'm not experienced with outboards. I've installed a few 350 motors in the boat over the years and I've very familiar with that process. I usually do all the work with my boat partner. I'm leaving this install up to the experts and trying to chase tuna sooner than later.

I'll throw up some items in classifieds. I have a rebuilt Volvo 290 Duo Prop with like-new props, fiberglass swim step with kicker bracket, engine cover, Vetus side mount control

Upvote 0

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    @bent rodz I remember following your build years ago. Such an insanely detailed project you put together.

@Fishbones What motors do you have on your 28? Such a sweet sled!

I got a new 2019 250hp Evinrude Etec G2. I'm having the bracket built by Arts Anvil Iron Works in Gardena, CA. Aprox. dimensions are 75"W x 25"H x 26"D - 13* pitch. Philip at Arts Anvil came recommended from my mechanic, Ernie, at Ryan Boats (also in Gardena).

Ernie will reinforce the transom, install the bracket, and mount the motor. Kind of weird for me. I'm not experienced with outboards. I've installed a few 350 motors in the boat over the years and I've very familiar with that process. I usually do all the work with my boat partner. I'm leaving this install up to the experts and trying to chase tuna sooner than later.

I'll throw up some items in classifieds. I have a rebuilt Volvo 290 Duo Prop with like-new props, fiberglass swim step with kicker bracket, engine cover, Vetus side mount control
    @C.Bergs Thanks man! I never gave up on her. Since then I replaced the fuel tank with a 200 gallon, new deck, built an in-deck insulated ice box/ fish hold, new aluminum deck lids, re-designed the bait tank plumbing, installed rocket launchers, and put in new seadek, etc, probably more stuff too. I just posted an update about a week ago with some pics. check it out.

Sounds like your spicing yours up too! 👍 I think I'm going to do an outboard conversion on my next re power as well. Hopefully later than sooner. I'm watching this so post updates and progress pics as things move along. I would love to hear all about it and see the installs.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    You might want to go with at least a 30” set back, otherwise you will not be able to raise the motor completely out of the water

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    Twin 225’s

Upvote 0

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
    Marina del Rey
    Name
    Cory
    Boat
    Been a minute since I posted. It has been busy! Got the boat out of the water. We had already pulled the Chevy 350, so got the boat on a trailer from the slip to the launch ramp with a 6hp outboard. Fun times in the wind! Managed to get the 290 duo prop off in about an hour. First time doing it and there were some short hang ups.

The bracket is being fabricated as we speak to have a full swim step, with detachable ladder. I’ll attach a basic rendering of the build, but with 30” depth, it’ll allow the motor to fully clear the water. Hopefully the buoyancy is all there!

My boat partner, Brandon, and I have been planning the deck and new dash. I bought new Raymarine EV150 auto pilot to go with our E12 hybrid touch and C97.

The boat is currently at a fabricator getting our radar arch reinforced and a handful more rod holders welded on. Our hatches leak like a MF, so coming up with an idea to have the deck drain into stainless U channels under the deck. Have it drain overboard.

Soon the transom will be glassed and we’ll be close. Did you guys install bigger scuppers? Any recommendations on how to do it/ where to source parts (flappers etc)?

44DC38C0-F1F6-4CE2-B16A-3238DB72760E.jpeg

3ACE4C26-41F1-4A1B-ABAB-97848219811E.jpeg

AB239CB0-3116-4861-A3B2-CB29E0461D3C.jpeg

48B8EC93-D963-4185-AB24-FBD171FDE70B.jpeg

9270095E-B264-4E87-8FA1-EE108E5589B0.jpeg

AC6A8093-3B6E-4872-B1ED-B83146E1C829.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    I don’t know why you covered your table with plastic.... it would look good with the same coating on it...😉

Upvote 0

C.Bergs

Sep 21, 2015
    Marina del Rey
    Name
    Cory
    Boat
    Has anyone ever taken off the rub rail? I see it’s thru bolted. Probably holding an upper and lower section of the boat together?

It’s all beat up and I’d love to replace it. I imagine getting to all the bolts in the cabin and bow area are a nightmare. Any advice?

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    I havent but my buddy did. For best results you need 2 hombres and spray some 606 on the Nutz...Have Fun!!

It came out really good though...

Reactions: C.Bergs
    Dragon
    Dragon
    1 guy inside and 1 outside. Get a young skinny guy to hold the nut inside while you hit it with the impact. He used the black rubber channel and a black rubber insert. There is some Tuff spots...
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0