W...X...Y...
Mar 22, 2004
W of 5
Name
Z
Boat
Yak or Cattle; NO Goats
True true!!
Is WHITE skipjack. Aku in Hawaiian. Black skipjack are an inshore fish like a bonito w no market. Theres a big difference between white and black skippies. Just like the difference between yellowtail and jack crevalle. One is delicious and one the dog might not eat.

Reactions: Jasen Harviston
Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I agree with Zed, the white skipjack are much better to eat than the black skipjack in most people's tastes, and are the "light tuna" of canned tuna. But the extra flavor of the black skipjack makes them an excellent fish when smoked. Cut thin, basted with teriyaki or other flavoring as you wish, smoked at a low temp for about three hours then finished with an hour at about 165 degrees, you will have some pretty popular eats!

I've tried covering the thin fillets with brown sugar, honey, bbq sauce and a bunch of other things, and various combinations. What a fun thing to do, experimenting with your fish! The only things that didn't work for my taste was soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce, but there were some people who liked those flavors, so you never know.

Bleed them, keep them cold, cut the fillets thin.

Reactions: jscott
    Upvote 0

Werfless

Hugh Mann
    Sep 15, 2012
    The county
    Name
    Hugh Mann
    Boat
    Plastic Chariot
    skippies are good.. I fry hard for a minute skin side down, flip over in the pan, then add half a beer.. when cooked, make into the best tuna melts/salad/casserole you've ever had.. add whatever seasoning you like when beer braising, bonito or skippies will accept it no problem..

Upvote 0

flyhigh123

Bangarang
    Aug 16, 2012
    los angeles
    Name
    flyhigh123
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    i've had bonito sashimi and honestly, it was amazing... flavorful, soft.... those who say skipjack sucks most likely has not had it prepared properly.

Upvote 0

soskunked

Jul 11, 2007
    Fullerton, CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    1979 42' Uniflite Sportfisher
    I canned my black skipjack in pint jars and pressure cooked them for 100 minutes. It doesn't turn white like you'd expect but it lightens up a lot. I just filled the jar with fish, put a jalepeno in there and added water 3/4 from the top. Best tuna sandwich or salad ever!

Upvote 0

wildbunch

MOFO
    Oct 11, 2008
    Analheim
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    23' "Hardcore"
    #1 bait for my lobsters. They love the blood and oil, I prefer BLUEFIN for sashimi and AHI for seared blackend tuna.

Upvote 0