Stanley Orchard

Almost A Member
Aug 16, 2020
Corpus Christi, TX
Name
Stanley Orchard
Boat
SEA HUNT / FREEMAN
Finally got out to the canals on Padre Island after a looooong (and exceptionally cold) winter... only to manage a bunch of skipjack. I did a catch and cook video about it (for YouTube purposes obviously the dog had to go overboard) and this is probably the third time I've cooked skipjack... the meat doesn't have a bad flavor to it (even if it is freaking mushy). But those bones. Does anybody have any advice or suggestions? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Skipjack Catch and Cook

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
Apr 29, 2004
SD
Name
Al
Boat
25 skipjack -Albatross
POKE or ceviche!!! Bleed spike and ice. They are not that bad. I cant really eat cooked tuna or jack anymore. If it's not seared or raw I just dont like it as much.

However- If i have to actually work to make it- I recommend fishermansbelly

this would be tasty for the skippy!
this is a pretty awesome recipe but https://www.fishermansbelly.com/single-post/fish-pasta

but i have yet to make anything from Yanni that is not killer. Old school- i'm italian 1st gen- Yanni food is straight from our mom's and grandmas- the real deal!!!

Day0ne

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
What he is calling "skipjack" and what you call "skipjack" are two entirely different fish. What he has is also called ladyfish and are very boney. Very little meat.

Stanley Orchard

Almost A Member
Aug 16, 2020
Corpus Christi, TX
Name
Stanley Orchard
Boat
SEA HUNT / FREEMAN
POKE or ceviche!!! Bleed spike and ice. They are not that bad. I cant really eat cooked tuna or jack anymore. If it's not seared or raw I just dont like it as much.

However- If i have to actually work to make it- I recommend fishermansbelly

this would be tasty for the skippy!
this is a pretty awesome recipe but https://www.fishermansbelly.com/single-post/fish-pasta

but i have yet to make anything from Yanni that is not killer. Old school- i'm italian 1st gen- Yanni food is straight from our mom's and grandmas- the real deal!!!
I totally agree... i eat about 75% of our catch raw these days (swordfish man, swordfish!). But for the videos indo want to encourage people to stop worrying about the 'big name' species. Ladyfish probably isnt the way to go... but i'm gonna try these recipes regardless! Thank you!

Stanley Orchard

Almost A Member
Aug 16, 2020
Corpus Christi, TX
Name
Stanley Orchard
Boat
SEA HUNT / FREEMAN
Saute it in garlic and butter, top it with a good imported parmesan cheese and broil until the cheese is a golden brown...

Then dump the entire turd in the trash can LOL LOL LOL
My thought was to slow-grill on a nice apple-wood plank... then dump the fish in the trash and eat the plank! But that goes against the nature of what i do. Im eating my way to the top of the foodchain one species at a time!

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
Ladies taste fine if you cook them right. When I was a kid my mom would do a quick filet just to get the meat off the body. then she would scrape all the meat off the bones and skin with a grapefruit spoon. The meat makes some great fishballs or suancai ru (sour vegetable fish) with Taiwanese oil noodles.

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot
Ladies taste fine if you cook them right. When I was a kid my mom would do a quick filet just to get the meat off the body. then she would scrape all the meat off the bones and skin with a grapefruit spoon. The meat makes some great fishballs or suancai ru (sour vegetable fish) with Taiwanese oil noodles.
He said "fishballs" :hali_ruahahaha::hali_ruahahaha::hali_ruahahaha:

Getthatbutt

Nov 18, 2011
Carlsbad/CA/USA
Name
adam
Boat
N/A
To echo many others, bleed and ice RIGHT away.

I personally like simple poke: sweet onion, toasted sesame seed oil, soy sauce little bit of lemon (soak onions in this for 30minutes) then add fish. Sesame seeds, furikake, over rice with some avocado!

Hustler

He's On Again!?!
May 31, 2003
Poway redneck
www.wedigscripps.com
Name
Ron
Boat
23' Maritime Patriot

I personally like simple poke: sweet onion, toasted sesame seed oil, soy sauce little bit of lemon (soak onions in this for 30minutes) then add fish. Sesame seeds, furikake, over rice with some avocado!
Then dump it down the disposer :hali_ruahahaha: :hali_ruahahaha: :hali_ruahahaha: !!!

Reactions: Stanley Orchard

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    Poke, ceviche and/or I can them. They’re really good canned. Just like chunk white tuna

Stanley Orchard

Almost A Member
    Aug 16, 2020
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Name
    Stanley Orchard
    Boat
    SEA HUNT / FREEMAN
    Thats thebsecond time i've been tokd to make fishballs with a spoon. I gotta try this.

Stanley Orchard

Almost A Member
    Aug 16, 2020
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Name
    Stanley Orchard
    Boat
    SEA HUNT / FREEMAN

I have a very similar go to recipe, can not disagree!

Stanley Orchard

Almost A Member
    Aug 16, 2020
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Name
    Stanley Orchard
    Boat
    SEA HUNT / FREEMAN
    Poke, ceviche and/or I can them. They’re really good canned. Just like chunk white tuna
    Yeah canning them is something I really want to try. Never canned meat before, but I enjoy cream herring and have been looking for similar species to be able to make my own.

Reactions: Phil mckracken
    Phil mckracken
    Phil mckracken
    Honestly... I was a little apprehensive at first with it as I had not done it before. Now, after doing it a few times it’s rather easy.
    I spice them up with some cracked pepper amd jalapeño, also do a mix with some olive oil and Italian seasoning. They come out really good.
    Creamed skippy??? 🤔. I’d be willing to try it. Lol.

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Those don't look like Skipjack to me? But thanks for the video.

ranchero

fishing-pox..?I have fishing plauge
    Apr 29, 2004
    SD
    Name
    Al
    Boat
    25 skipjack -Albatross
    Wish you were close- I d be glad to take them. They are really good if prepared right way. They suck q'ed, broiled. they are ok loined this cut breaded and baked- if you make some tarter sauce. Just too fishy cooked all the way through

There s also killer recipies to pickle skip. Nothing wrong with Skip! When in doubt I ask the fish. Do fish love skip bellies trolled? YES Do they like squid? Yup- it's candy. Just need to find right way to prepare

Last edited:

wildbunch

MOFO
    Oct 11, 2008
    Analheim
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    23' "Hardcore"
    Cut into chunks RAW. Insert into baitcage & hoopnet. Drop over side & retrieve after lobster joins you for dinner. Simple