Skipjack 24 Open "Playin Hookie" finally done!

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    See pics below!

This was a diy seadek project. I started with clear painters plastic taped down tight to the deck.. then I traced out the perimeter of deck, deck lids, engine box, helm, and headliner with a sharpie. Then I transferred the dimensions onto the computer and converted it into a vxf file to run on a cnc router. After a few test fit cuts on a Tyvec type material I was finally able to cut the finale product. This entire project absorbed at least 40 hours of labor and took 2.5 hours of run-time on the cnc router. All in all I think she turned out looking pretty good!

This is the finishing touch of a fuel tank replacement and seemed like a good option knowing the deck will not be opened for a long time.. The boat now has all custom aluminum deck lids, a big in deck insulated ice box/ fish hold, new big deck rail with led lights and Vince at American tanks in La Mesa, CA was able to build and fit a new 200 gallon fuel tank into her! She's ready for the season!
    Screenshot_20210516-151452_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-151715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-152007_Gmail.jpg
    20210513_172231.jpg
    20210513_170656.jpg
    20210513_170735.jpg
    20210516_150127.jpg
    20210515_213455.jpg
    20210515_213443.jpg
    20210515_213350.jpg
    20210515_213325.jpg
    20210515_213133.jpg
    20210515_000252.jpg
    20210515_212903.jpg
    20210516_150618.jpg
    20210515_212228.jpg
    20210515_212940.jpg
    Screenshot_20210513-180320_Snapchat.jpg
    20200703_195357.jpg
    20180609_115913.jpg
    20180609_115941.jpg
    20181122_010543.jpg
    Screenshot_20160711-131719.png
    20160806_071846~2.jpg
    20190805_150830.jpg

Last edited:

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    That’s a clean, fishy rig. What’s your power setup and what kind of range do you estimate on the new 200 gal tank?
    Thanks man. No better way to break her in then to go get her bloody! She's got a Seamax marine Ford 351W gas (pcm) engine for power. I put it in a few years back and now has almost 60 hours on it. The sterndrive is mercruiser Aplha MC1. I was averaging 2.8 - 3.2 Nmpg before upgrading tanks so I am expecting a range of 400 Nmpg now. Shouldn't have any trouble reaching some of those outside grounds and returning home safely with fuel to spare

Last edited:

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    Your work on this boat is always amazing. Probably the nicest skippy in SoCal
    Thanks 🍻 I really appreciate that. Definitely no short cuts.. back when I bought her it was probably the ugliest boat in SoCal 😅 it's been a huge huge costly project I'm so glad to be done. I've repowered, re wired, new electronics, fuel tank, lighting, the list goes on. Everything is new now. Literally, everything. I really appreciate the comments! She's definatly a neck breaker now 🙂

Last edited:

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Thanks 🍻 I really appreciate that. Definitely no short cuts..
    It definitely shows too. In time I’d like to do something similar to my skip as well. I’ll be happy to have her running in a couple more weeks after five years of taking up space in my yard.

bent rodz
    bent rodz
    Thanks. If you ever have questions you know how to reach me. I know that feeling all so well as my boat has been in my driveway taking up space too! Get her running man and get her floating again. It's starting to get hot out there.
    Upvote 0
    Arima-bob
    Arima-bob
    Reading all the reports is driving me nuts! I could get the Arima out there, but it doesn’t have the range to get to the backside of Clemente. The 43 is about as far as it goes
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    I’ll be contacting you eventually. Gotta fish her first!

Reactions: bent rodz
    bent rodz
    bent rodz
    Sometimes I wish I would have went diesel... but man,, my burn rates seem to be just as good with my gasser as you diesel guys... sounds like you've got a bad ass powerhouse. You can do the 43 all day and return with fuel left over. At least you should be able to with the diesel set up.🤷‍♂️
    Upvote 0
    bent rodz
    bent rodz
    Man I'm gonna install an on board fuel polishing system for the times the boat is in storage and not in use.
    Upvote 0
    Arima-bob
    Arima-bob
    The 43 will just be a stop along the trip for the skip. Since I haven’t had it on the water, guys I’ve talked to with the same or similar boats and engines are getting on average 3-3.5 mpg. I think 4 is possible in the right conditions.
    The 43 is the limit for my little Arima. It only holds 23 gallons.
    Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    That thing is Beautiful!! Question on those deck hatches? I am doing a 20' Skipjack and would like to have it look well "Skipjack Ish" Were those the original trims or where would I get hatches that look like that? Thanks for any help you can offer.

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    That thing is Beautiful!! Question on those deck hatches? I am doing a 20' Skipjack and would like to have it look well "Skipjack Ish" Were those the original trims or where would I get hatches that look like that? Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Thanks Dragon! No problem. I had to make these deck hatches. My original ones were pretty tired and the rings were cracked in places. Finding replacements was almost impossible when I went searching so I just made them myself out of aluminum. I actually like them better too. Thicker guage and lighter so it kinda was a win win.. All of the lids are completely redone all aluminum. No glass.

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    Could I commission you to make a couple? Im not in a hurry just starting my build. That is a BAD Ass rig...Nice Job...

Last edited:

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    You might be on to something with an onboard fuel polishing system. Just keep the filters easily accessible along with the pump.

bent rodz
    bent rodz
    That thought definately crossed my mind. You might be right too. The vent hole is a lot higher then the tank though. I'd think the fuel would take the path of least resistance and just go back into the tank? The vent line is all uphill from the tank and also makes a loop right at the vent hole. I was wondering if I did valve the vent how would that affect the flow? Might still need to vent with a polisher hooked up.
    Upvote 0
    Arima-bob
    Arima-bob
    If you close the vent while the pump is running, you’ll be replacing the the fuel at an equal rate. Closing off the vent would work. I suggested the one way valve just in case you forgot. That’s something I would do for sure.
    Upvote 0
    bent rodz
    bent rodz
    Ah ha! Your right! Didn't even think about the equal rate thing. I'm gonna try it out. I'll valve the vent too. I will let you know how it works out!
    Upvote 0

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    Could I commission you to make a couple? Im not in a hurry just starting my build. That is a BAD Ass rig...Nice Job...
    Thanks dude.. I possibly could help you out with those lids but here is a fair warning lol... . It was a big pain in the ass to get the lids perfect! It was not a quick job either. Took lots of patients for sure.. I had Competitive metals in el cajon pre cut all the aluminum pieces on a big hydraulic shear to the dimensions I gave them. That was a way cleaner approach instead of saw cutting them. Then I had to tac everything up including the ribs underneath first. The heat from welding kept wanting to warp the material so keeping it flat was a bitch. A few clamps helped a lot. The deck is crowned too, so perfectly flat didn't work that well either because they would titer totter on the deck. Super frustrating. Soon as I thought I was done I had to do it all over again. Grrr, lol.
    Let's just say it took me a few trys and wasted material to get them to where I was happy with them. I'm afraid if I did it again I would have the same issues. Its just a pain in the ass maybe a pro metal guy could do it easier with less struggle lol? Idk. I'm no metal expert by any means! But can weld and use a nice old mallet to form some things lol. I was telling myself if I had to do it again I would use aluminum z bar for trim rings welded and grinded smooth at the corners then smooth out the radius. Overall in the end it came out perfect but I definately had to work for it. I think the Z bar with plate aluminum and ribs would be easier than flat stock and will give you the same appearance your after.. Just a thought.

Last edited:
    Dragon
    Dragon
    I dont want to make you NUTZ...Cuz I get what your saying 🙃...I was a machinist in a previous life before being a builder. You do have excellent skills! Funny I noticed of all things the hatch rings. Right on Man. Let me get further into the build and see how Im going...Thx Paul
    Upvote 0
    bent rodz
    bent rodz
    Sounds good man. And yeah, seems like everyone is always chasing these deck lid trim rings 😎
    Upvote 0

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    SeaDeck for headliner? That's friggin' brilliant! Great work on the Skippy.
    Thanks Skip Town! I figured why not use the seadek for the headliner. I could router some cool art into it, stick in on and call it a day. No need to get into an upholstery shop. Seemed to me like an easy, good looking way to go! I think it worked out good. And looks better than what vinyl would have looked like. My headliner was aluminum so it stuck on really good.

Reactions: SkipTown

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    That is the boat I want....with an outboard. Your's is so nice I'd even consider a gasser I/O.

I have a cuddy now and dont want to lose all that deck space...or cuddy space. Its already a tight fit sleeping at 6'3" and a few Jackson's under 3 bills.

I dont get the vent valve. If you filters and pump are below the vent the filters should throttle the fill enough not to pressure the tank. With pump after filters I still dont see it. What am I missing? What about looping the vent?

bent rodz

Almost A Member
  • Aug 30, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Skipjack 24 Open
    That is the boat I want....with an outboard. Your's is so nice I'd even consider a gasser I/O.

I have a cuddy now and dont want to lose all that deck space...or cuddy space. Its already a tight fit sleeping at 6'3" and a few Jackson's under 3 bills.

I dont get the vent valve. If you filters and pump are below the vent the filters should throttle the fill enough not to pressure the tank. With pump after filters I still dont see it. What am I missing? What about looping the vent?
    Thanks man! An outboard conversion onna floatation bracket would be a sweet setup. We will see what happens next time I repower. As far as the venting issue lol.. not An issue but you may have got lost in the thread somewhere. ARIMA-BOB and I were just chit chatting about the possibility of installing an "on board" fuel polishing station for the times the boat sits in storage using the tank set up that I have. Read back, you'll see what I mean. My vent is looped. I just don't have a return line on this tank so we were talking about maybe using the vent line as the return line.. anyhow, yeah man. These boats are bad ass! 3 in the cuddy is tight! Better be good buddy's lol

Last edited:
    Reactions: Arima-bob

Nareynolds31

Jun 19, 2020
    Alta Loma
    Name
    Neil Reynolds
    Boat
    2007 Sanger V215
    Congratulations, Bent Rods! You won Bloody Decks in my book. Gorgeous build! I am building a 1975 24 Open right now. I know you said yours was the ugliest boat in the land before, but I am confident I have yours beat :) That said, did you have your boat re-gelcoated? Or did you use Awlgrip paint? I am leaning toward the Awlgrip, as I am hearing really good things, seen some amazing boats that have had it done, and it is a lot less spendy than gelcoat.

Also, it looks like you replaced the teak door with starboard material. That's a great idea!

On your interior gunwales, where the pouches used to be, did you gelcoat the upper half to match the lower half. Mine were covered with vinyl, and where the vinyl was, it is rough fiberglass with no top coating.

Thanks in advance for any answer you can provide. I probably have a million questions for you.

Skip Cockpit.jpg

Skipjack 24.jpg

bent rodz
    bent rodz
    Right on man! Good choice of boat! We could go on and on with this discussion. I would for sure check your fuel tank condition. My dumb ass believed the previous owner that my tanks were replaced a few years prior to my purchase. Long story short I built this boat twice because the tank was corroded. Hit me up. I'll send you a Dm I've got lots of info for you. Have fun with it.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0