Skipjack 24 open pilothouse/bracketed conversion.

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat Name
Basscat Pantera classic, trophy cc, Cajun, jonboat, trident 13 ocean kayak
1.5 years worth of blood, sweat, tears and money to turn this $100, 1979 skipjack 24 open into my dream boat. The farmer had to use his tractor to pull it out of the field where it layed buried for over a decade before I drug it home. Showed up with 4 tires and a spare to tow it back to the house. Completely rotten inside and out. Full coosa build. Stringers, transom, floors and pilothouse. Awlcraft2000 paint. I still have to build some side windows and finish up the cabin area but she is a fishable project at this point! Everything except the aluminum bracket was built by me. Would I do it again? Nope. Am I happy I did? Yup! The Suzuki 300 pushed her at a top speed of 53mph when she was as light as could be with 20 gallons of fuel. Fully loaded with guys and gear she tops at around 46-47mph.
IMG_20220530_093620_385.jpg
36137.jpeg
35889.jpeg
35676.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat Name
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Bad Ass

Reactions: Basscatjosh
Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat Name
nice work,,my favorite style, forward slant,,really transformed the boat, I can relate to the blood sweat n tears,,and money!!,, congrats!
Your project looks beautiful! Your lines are very Attractive. There is something about a boat when the lines are hit just right and they flow with the original hull. You have accomplished that. Great work!

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat Name
This Skipjack is awesome, congrats on a great conversion
Thank you! I'm still finishing it up but she's getting there. Just finished welding up the side windows and I should be installing them within the next few days. Have a few more electronics to install and calibrate as well. I didn't talk about the electronics package in it. I'm running a simrad nssevo12s3 head unit, with simrad halo radar, nac-2 core pac for autopilot brains and bronze thru Hull transducer. I'm running seastar power steering and auto pilot pumps, and seastar tournament series ram. I'm also running Bluetooth wireless for remote controls on the auto pilot setup. I've got a gas webasto heater that still needs to be installed for the heating and defrosting. I'll post a few more pics as time goes on

Reactions: Blackmankirk
Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat Name
If you want to see more pics and videos there is a few on my Instagram page. @norcal_saltyhooker

Upvote 0

Basscatjosh

Jun 14, 2018
Nor cal
Name
Josh
Boat Name
This thing came out bad ass. Did you make those window frames?
Yes, after I sent templates to mark plastic out of Corona I never heard from him again. I left 2 voicemail messages 3 weeks apart and realized he fell off the earth and I had to make my own. It was a pain in the butt. I had no other choice though as every window maker was months out on their work load. I used T-bar for the outside frame and welded it together. Then Z-bar for the inside frame. I attached 2 drawings showing My design. The key was finding the materials in the correct height and depth. One drawing is the fixed windshield and one is the side sliding windows. The side slider was the same design I just added a piece of flat stock on the inside and plastic channel for the window to slide on.

KIMG1613.JPG

KIMG1614.JPG

KIMG1769.JPG

KIMG1768.JPG

Upvote 0

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat Name
Still Looking
You deserve a Boatbuilder Oscar award for sure , BD should give you a featured spotlight for that fine work and accomplishment.

I have been working in this industry since 1988, worked with Jack Cole Jr., you did them right and proud, congrats 👏

Reactions: Basscatjosh
Upvote 0

Latest posts