sbavo

Dec 27, 2019
Santa Barbara
Name
Andrew
Boat
None yet
WTB: Skipjack 24 open or similar.

I posted a wanted ad here a little while ago looking for a 20 open. After looking at a couple of 20s and a couple of 24s, I think I'd prefer the bigger boat.

If you have a 24 open or similar boat, please send me some details and what you're asking for it. Nice boats and projects considered, but it's got to have a trailer I can safely get it home on. I'm ready to make a purchase.

dwilson

Nov 27, 2010
United States
Name
David Wilson
Boat
Skipjack
I get it. It's where I started with mine - a project boat. Price of admission was a lot lower. Not surprisingly I spent a lot more later, but at least I was in the game.

Think mine is for someone who wants to avoid going through all that. Still I expect I'll have to drop the price at some point. I'm not in a hurry and the buying season really hasn't started. We'll see.

Good luck out there, they're great boats. Really came to appreciate mine when it got snotty. Watched other boats get the crap beat out of them while we were cruising by. Ready-to-go or a project, they're great hulls. As long as the transom is solid and outdrive is not needing much work, don't think you can go wrong.

sbavo

Dec 27, 2019
Santa Barbara
Name
Andrew
Boat
None yet
Thanks, and good luck with your sale! I've been focused on a 24 open (or similar) for exactly the reasons you listed.

The next couple boats I'm looking at are a Chris Craft Scorpion 211 and an older Sea Ray cuddy cabin.

Last edited:

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
@kindafishy has one that might be for sale. It’s a nice project boat with twins. If I could, I’d take it and drop a couple AD-31’s in it. That IMO would be awesome

UnReel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Just putting my 1982 Skipjack 24' open 'UnReel"up for sale. Proven fish killer and pretty clean and was running till i parked her about 5 years ago because the tilt switch went out. Got a new factory switch and it just needs to be installed. Never been bottom painted, Has a mercruiser 350 5.7l in it (about 200 to 300hrs on it) with a 2 brrl carb , Volvo Penta 280 outdrive thats solid. ABT aluminum two axle trailer ( just put new actuator, lines and pads on it) , Satwater Specialties radar arch , Precision marine 15, outriggers , built in factory fiberglass fish hold with sump pump in it. Furuno FCV 600l fish finder, furuno 1623 radar , 50 gallon fiberglass bait tank. Honestly just needs a little electrical work, I'd redo the motor mount stringers and re carpet and rebolt down the trailer bunks and she should be good to go. Boat is located in Lakewood, pm if interested. Will price to sell. Also boat can be seen on the "Boat Discusion board" on BD at the top of the page under the "Show me your Skipjack thred" can take new pics if anyone is interested. Boats gatta go, moving to Costa Rica in a month or two.

Last edited:

kindafishy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 21, 2010
hemet/ca/riverside
Name
SCOTT
Boat
bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
bob is correct. i have a 24 open in my yard. twin volvos (inline 6 cylinders) that are of unknown condition. need work i'd bet. but i'd pull both motors and drives to sell for parts (i'll pull and keep motors/ drives for a better price for you) that way you'd have a blank slate to start with. if you'd like to see it let me know.

Attachments

UnReel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
Boat
Yes, going to pump the old gas out later today and put in some new gas and if i got time hopefuly fire her up. Will take pics later for ya.

UnReel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
Boat
No center filler board for the cubby. Here are pics if the engine bay. Also has 105 amp alternator. 2 brrl carb. Had plenty of power and was fuel efficient. She ran about 22kts at 3000rpm. Just put 4 new tires on the trailer and the carrier bearing in the bell housing and the U-joints where replaced about a year or so before i parked her too.

Attachments

Last edited:

sbavo

Dec 27, 2019
Santa Barbara
Name
Andrew
Boat
None yet
Just putting my 1982 Skipjack 24' open 'UnReel"up for sale. Proven fish killer and pretty clean and was running till i parked her about 5 years ago because the tilt switch went out. Got a new factory switch and it just needs to be installed. Never been bottom painted, Has a mercruiser 350 5.7l in it (about 200 to 300hrs on it) with a 2 brrl carb , Volvo Penta 280 outdrive thats solid. ABT aluminum two axle trailer ( just put new actuator, lines and pads on it) , Satwater Specialties radar arch , Precision marine 15, outriggers , built in factory fiberglass fish hold with sump pump in it. Furuno FCV 600l fish finder, furuno 1623 radar , 50 gallon fiberglass bait tank. Honestly just needs a little electrical work, I'd redo the motor mount stringers and re carpet and rebolt down the trailer bunks and she should be good to go. Boat is located in Lakewood, pm if interested. Will price to sell. Also boat can be seen on the "Boat Discusion board" on BD at the top of the page under the "Show me your Skipjack thred" can take new pics if anyone is interested. Boats gatta go, moving to Costa Rica in a month or two.
You mention redoing the motor mount stringers. Are they rotten?

UnReel

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
Boat
Starboard mm stringer is ok but port mm stinger is realy soft. We made a brace for it thats works but I'd redo both stringers. Almost all old skips have motor mount stringer problems as the stringer has a crescent shaped cut out near the bottom to let water drain down into the bilge and thats where the problem starts.