I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 24, 2012
Carrollton/TX/USA
Name
Roy Todd
Boat
None
Ladies and Gents:

I have a problem with skin cancer, so I have to watch myself in the sun--too much exposure ensures more visits to the doc and more cutting and burning.

About 12 years ago I discovered a large brimmed hat from Sunday Afternoons, and it provides very good protection. Although I've also worn neck gaiters, I find them rather hot. The last time I was on a 16 day Intrepid adventure there was a guy on the boat who had a hat with an integrated face shield made of the same cotton/polyester material as the hat itself. All that was visible was a slit for the eyes. It looked much cooler than a hat + neck gaiter.

Can anyone please recommend something with MAXIMUM face protection that's not too hot??

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Ladies and Gents:

I have a problem with skin cancer, so I have to watch myself in the sun--too much exposure ensures more visits to the doc and more cutting and burning.

About 12 years ago I discovered a large brimmed hat from Sunday Afternoons, and it provides very good protection. Although I've also worn neck gaiters, I find them rather hot. The last time I was on a 16 day Intrepid adventure there was a guy on the boat who had a hat with an integrated face shield made of the same cotton/polyester material as the hat itself. All that was visible was a slit for the eyes. It looked much cooler than a hat + neck gaiter.

Can anyone please recommend something with MAXIMUM face protection that's not too hot??
Usually the skin cancer is due to exposure that took place years ago. My brother was a lifeguard for Huntington Beach back when he was in college and then grad school. Probably worked 7 summers down there. Now he’s getting cancers cut out of his face every 3 to 6 months.

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
We have a variety of sun-protective hats/ coverings. This is a favorite source - great product lines:

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Try Cooibar - I've got a couple of their fishing shirts and a hat with a that I wear fishing and sometimes working in the yard. They have something similar to your description - maybe it would not be too hot. I like their products but it is not inexpensive.

Coolibar Hat

TanstaaflSD

Dec 3, 2013
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
Tanstaafl
Boat
n/a
take a look at the Tilley hats - great quality

They have one with a concealable foreign legion cape that also can be secured to protect your face.

I also bought AFTCO type long sleeve hooded shirts with built-in facemasks.

Good luck

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
take a look at the Tilley hats - great quality

They have one with a concealable foreign legion cape that also can be secured to protect your face.

I also bought AFTCO type long sleeve hooded shirts with built-in facemasks.

Good luck
And Aftco has a big straw hat,
That would work fine, to

Excaliber

Oct 12, 2006
Meridian, ID.
Name
Mike
Boat
sold
I like that setup and the price is excellent. It looks like it may be a bit warm with the neck screen as it doesn't look to be as breathable of a mesh fabric. I'd give it a shot for the price

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
The Aaftco shirts work grea:
I also own several of these, also great.. loose around the neck and face..

Tight lines, Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: kbray001 and Cubeye

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Try and find a hooded sun shirt that you can pull hood over bill of ball cap.

Shade for days. Doesn't get hot.

O'Neil Sun Hoodie is the only one I have found that fits the bill.

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
This subject is high on my list as I regularly get pieces carved off and sent to the lab. SO far so good.

One thing I have not found in a hat yet, have not looked hard though, Is a hat that breathes but also gives protection on the top of my head.

I like a straw hat, at times, because they allow air flow but I wish they could be lined with a 50 sunscreen fabric similar to the shirts/ masks that are made. Figured I would make my own gluing in some of the 50 SPF fabric.

Given the medical issues, try to bring a variety of hats changing out as the days goes by and the conditions change.

But you are focused on the face protection if I got it right. Makes me wonder if you can get someone who is currently sewing c-virus face masks to make a similar face mask(s) for you. Not sure how much time you have - I leave in a couple of weeks for a 7 day. Give them some SPF 50 material.

Elastics that are on each side of the head going around ear- not around the neck ( top & bottom).

Plus include fabric that goes back to cover the ears with the elastic - fabric from under the neck to the top of nose. to secure the forehead, elastic goes over top of head and connects to side elastics that wrap around back of head. something like this.

I would not like a handging piece of fabris as I need to see when fighting fish and making my way over and under. Good luck

Mike Nall

Sep 1, 2014
Name
Boomer
Boat
Any one that floats.
I’ve seen them with solar powered fans built in to the top of the hat to provide coolness, I thought that was pretty cool. As much as Amazon kills small business, they sure do have some fun stuff.

Reactions: jonhjax

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
I have most of the stuff mentioned, Tilley hat, long sleeve sun shirt with hoodie and a couple Slouch hats with neck covers. The Tilley hats are better quality but I prefer the slouch hats with a built in neck cover.

coastalwerks

Apr 20, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Lance De Guzman
Boat
Local Kine!
Columbia Clothing Company makes a PFG series for fisherman. I have multiple long sleeve hoodies that run cool for summer months along with a neck gaiter. I’ve also use there Round hats that are light and cool. All PFG provides some UV protection. Always be comfortable when fishing!

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Shoot, since we're talking about actual cancer (just lost a friend this week to it), one might even consider the Welder face masks Chinese and Korean moms wear to protect their faces. Hell, that would even protect against this virus thing.

Solar_Face_Shield_Pink_7_8_copy.jpg

The Great PF

Apr 24, 2012
Carrollton/TX/USA
Name
Roy Todd
Boat
None
Well, I bought a hat, and I'm pleased with it. Very good coverage. Not perfect, but I'm pleased. It's very similar to the pic posted by Cast Gold above. It's on the unigearshop.com website, but I actually ordered it through Amazon Prime. I'll give it a sea trial next Saturday. It even came with a large mosquito net that fits over the entire hat, and the website it can also be used for beekeeping....if you're into that sort of thing.

Reactions: Cubeye

PacificBlue

Nov 25, 2011
USA
Name
JM
Boat
Still Looking
If any of you need a good dermatologist who can detect skin cancer, Dr . Matkaluk in Temecula saved my life by catching a malignant melanoma on my neck when two other doctors said it was nothing to worry about, I would have been dead by now.

Not sure if he is currently practicing, but worth a try, saved my ass in 2001.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

The Great PF

Apr 24, 2012
Carrollton/TX/USA
Name
Roy Todd
Boat
None
To echo what was written above by BiggestT, when I had my second skin cancer removed, I asked the doc when I did the damage, and he replied that it was when I was a teenager or in my 20's. I asked him how much longer I would have to endure the checks, biopsies, removals, etc., and he said, 'For the rest of your life'. I believe I have already paid for a good portion of his office complex.

When I go to any sort of doc, they put a form in front of me to fill out, and the question will always be there, 'What surgeries have you had done, when and what for'? I always answer, 'Skin Cancer, too many to count'.

But, there has been a good side effect to all of this....I don't enjoy the beach, so when my wife and daughter want to go to the beach, I can just sit in the shade and enjoy a nice cold beverage without having to frolic with them.....It's not a 'hall pass', but it's a 'beach pass' which I enjoy very much.......