Offshore Skiff bluefin attempt #1

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    Today was an interesting day. Left Shelter at 445 and headed out. Bait was decent and went straight to the 9. We found a really good paddy and nobody was home. We continued onward towards the 182 and and saw scattered birds right after the nine and found a small school of breezers in the 50-60# class. The fish were moving and we couldn’t even get in front of them to present a bait. This was for the rest of the bluefin schools we found. Long story short we found 6 small schools of breezing fish that we couldn’t get in front of before they sank out. We did have a very large bluefin breach about ten feet from the boat, probably in the 150+ class.

We made our way back to the nine and found a few more kelp paddies that had no fish willing to play, dolphins jumping and doing flips, and even saw a sea turtle about two miles from the point.

We tried for rockfish on the way back in and got nothing good and ended the day with 1 short butt.

We saw lots of life including some whales and this was the first time I’ve ever seen tuna in my boat. Maybe I can get one before the season is up on the Skiff.

BFFF3B31-C2CA-4114-A766-2EE2BBA50925.jpeg

BE3885DE-1FF0-4EFA-8FF1-371E4F6FA497.jpeg

Unassailable

Professional Amateur
    Aug 26, 2009
    San Diego
    Name
    John B
    Boat
    BW
    You'll get one for sure. If fish are sinking out, try throwing a few scoops of bait and do a few long soaks. Tuna can see bait farther than you think.

Also, if you're boxing a good area, you can slow troll a Mac or sardine way back.

Upvote 0

mike82

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 19, 2013
    west coast
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    a fish killing center console
    We caught two cow cod on two drops with flat falls fishing for rockfish so we were only there for the two drops. A few bass and a butt when we came inshore.
    awesome! i haven't seen a cow cod since i was a kid. too bad we can't keep those things.

Upvote 0

efx

Nov 21, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
    I hope skiff doesn’t mean dinghy. I’ll be out there in my 17 getting one of these once they get further north. Seas look good. At least you see the fish. Up in LA we see trash, balloons and clowns on jet skis.

Reactions: iThRoWIroN
    Upvote 0

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I hope skiff doesn’t mean dinghy. I’ll be out there in my 17 getting one of these once they get further north. Seas look good. At least you see the fish. Up in LA we see trash, balloons and clowns on jet skis.
    937B0356-2A02-4B10-9A4D-859FDC579AB4.jpeg

My rig is a little bit bigger than yours but it’s more of a flats boat than a bay boat. I’ve seen a few skiffs smaller than mine out. Just gotta go slow and pick the right day.

Reactions: repo805 and El Taco
    Upvote 0