Ski boat fishing?

Nov 10, 2007
Chino
Name
Joe
Boat
none
Currently looking for a boat under 7K
My first inclination is to find a center console/fishing boat, but my wife is wanting me to get something with seats and something that we can cruise around in with the kids, etc.
Which leaves me with the option of basically getting a ski type boat with an open bow or maybe a cuddy.
Does anyone or has anyone fished successfully off of a boat like this?
Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
If you don’t mind larger, some 24 flybridges come up in your budget as well.

I have one you can have, but it would exceed your budget to get it going properly.

Reactions: inland saltdog

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I've been looking, found one on Offer Up with an inboard in Santa Ana for 8k, I dunno what shape its in maybe I should check it out

8k isn’t bad if it’s in good shape. Definitely go through it with a fine tooth comb. With the season starting up, the good ones will be hard to find

okgene

Feb 1, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
Name
Gene
Boat
14' Mirrocraft
I would wait another year before buying a boat. COVID and the stimulus money have made boat prices crazy. Good deals sell incredible fast and you may feel pressured to buy something without doing all your research.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Do not buy a project boat. Spend a little more on your initial purchase and buy something ready to go. Trust me, you will save your self a headache and your wallet will thank you later.

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Mikelson 43’
I would wait another year before buying a boat. COVID and the stimulus money have made boat prices crazy. Good deals sell incredible fast and you may feel pressured to buy something without doing all your research.

Don't make the same mistake I did. Do not buy a project boat. Spend a little more on your initial purchase and buy something ready to go. Trust me, you will save your self a headache and your wallet will thank you later.
Good advice, if you want a pool buy a house with a pool, don’t build it yourself. Same with a boat, let some other poor bastard take the bath for you.😉

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    If there's any way to determine it, ask yourself if wife and the kids will actually be using it that often. Because if you pick a boat to suit their needs and they end up saying "no thanks" to boating for a variety of reasons, you ain't gonna be very happy.

I fish and I'm the one who loves being on the boat. Hence the family was secondary in choosing what I wanted. It's a fishing vessel 99% of the time and a family fun vessel 1% of the time. Having a wife who abhors the sun kinda set that up for me.

Nov 10, 2007
    Chino
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    none
    If there's any way to determine it, ask yourself if wife and the kids will actually be using it that often. Because if you pick a boat to suit their needs and they end up saying "no thanks" to boating for a variety of reasons, you ain't gonna be very happy.

I fish and I'm the one who loves being on the boat. Hence the family was secondary in choosing what I wanted. It's a fishing vessel 99% of the time and a family fun vessel 1% of the time. Having a wife who abhors the sun kinda set that up for me.
    I know what you mean, she'll probably go out once or twice and thats it

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I know what you mean, she'll probably go out once or twice and thats it

Umm, then f_ck a ski boat. You'll use it for fishing most of the time and lament the fishing amenities you don't have.

CCs have seats. Many have jump seats in the back or even have foldable bench seating. If not, get a couple marine bean bags and call it a day. Then leave the bean bags at home when the men go out to fish.

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
    Orange, CA USA
    Name
    GC
    Boat
    Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
    On that $8K Skippy I see a ton of deferred maintenance already. Is that bad, not really. What it does tell me is that you really need to take a deeper dive to find other issues that aren't being disclosed or even known. A well cared for boat the owner knows everything about. A boat that is dirty and not loved hides many mysteries.

It is like the hot chick who has never been married and she is now 50. What are her issues?

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    On that $8K Skippy I see a ton of deferred maintenance already. Is that bad, not really. What it does tell me is that you really need to take a deeper dive to find other issues that aren't being disclosed or even known. A well cared for boat the owner knows everything about. A boat that is dirty and not loved hides many mysteries.

It is like the hot chick who has never been married and she is now 50. What are her issues?
    She probably doesn't suck d

Nov 10, 2007
    Chino
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    none

Thats the feeling I got when I saw the ad

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    I have Owned boats since my 14th birthday and I made the mistake of buying a boat my wife wanted once. I bought a 21’ Searay. Pretty carpet and comfortable seats. Shitty fishing boat she hardly ever went on it because it smelled like fish. Rent a ski boat and take her out on a local lake like lake Elsinore on a busy crowded day. By the way any nice day in Southern California is a really crowded day at the local lake. She may just talk you into buying a boat for YOU to fish out of.