Skagit County Sheriffs boat capsized

Wild Bill

Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!
Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Well that sucks. Definitely a failed or inadequate bilge pump system was involved. I wonder if it was plugged into shore power?

Wild Bill

Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
Well that sucks. Definitely a failed or inadequate bilge pump system was involved. I wonder if it was plugged into shore power?

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Like the Cutwater that sunk... doesn't look plugged. It's surprising folks forget their boat doesn't have infinite power when left at the dock.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Most marine units have pullers mounted on them..not for pulling pots though..

Was this a brand new boat. I haven't found anyone that can verify its a state boat. It has no markings or anything else that identifies it as an enforcement boat.

Also as tax payers ya people will be pissed. But if it wasn't human error why be pissed. The state is insured, just like we all are. And shit happens. As a tax payer Im more pissed about the roads I drive on everyday. The .25 cents I contributed to a state boat..meh.
not sure about this boat, but many state and federal agencies self insured... their fleets are so large they can carry the risk cheaper than insuring the whole fleet...

Captain Decent

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Most marine units have pullers mounted on them..not for pulling pots though..

Was this a brand new boat. I haven't found anyone that can verify its a state boat. It has no markings or anything else that identifies it as an enforcement boat.

Also as tax payers ya people will be pissed. But if it wasn't human error why be pissed. The state is insured, just like we all are. And shit happens. As a tax payer Im more pissed about the roads I drive on everyday. The .25 cents I contributed to a state boat..meh.
Bias much? Sure they’re insured. With money taken out of my paycheck and loose revenue they got writing tickets for expired flares.

i probably paid $500k for that boat, $200k for the electronics and who knows how many hundreds of Ks for the training those guys got and still managed to sink it.

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
"Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
not sure about this boat, but many state and federal agencies self insured... their fleets are so large they can carry the risk cheaper than insuring the whole fleet...

Yep, the county I just retired from is self insured in each department (health, roads, public works, sheriff, etc.).

How cold did it get there? Wondering if something might have froze and broke.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Bias much? Sure they’re insured. With money taken out of my paycheck and loose revenue they got writing tickets for expired flares.

i probably paid $500k for that boat, $200k for the electronics and who knows how many hundreds of Ks for the training those guys got and still managed to sink it.
I've got so many smart ass comments to make reference your statement but I'll let it go..no I'm not bias, I'm educated and tend to stick to facts. Your relying on emotions..I'm not going to try and change your opinion, that would be a waste of my time..

And I'm still waiting for facts about boat ownership and cause of sinking..cause bitchin back and forth to each other without facts is senseless.

tacklejacked

Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
Absolutely correct. If it is a government boat this would be the case.

Reactions: G-Spot and Dash One

Dash One

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 18, 2008
Anacortes, WA
Name
Jay
Boat
21’ Bayrunner Skiff
Well ... trying to stay-above-the-fray, but I can’t. G-Spot is correct in stating that the State “self insures” some of their assets. Some of you seem to think that there’s some sort of correlation between fucked-up fish management policy, bad government, and a sunken patrol boat. News flash: The Director, nor the Governor had anything to do with this (not a fan of either btw).

Do you really think committed LEO’s (game wardens) wanted this to happen? Do you think that those guys with Masters Licenses, who are well trained and more experienced mariners than a lot of you whiners ... guys not only protect our resources, but have been first-on-scene for search and rescue, who have to walk up on armed contacts during hunting season, who have to put up with a bunch of fuckin’ low-life’s on a daily basis, are somehow derelict in their duty?

Did everyone rip John Keizer when his North River sunk at the dock ? Did you all care when the Outdoor Emporium NR boat sunk at the dock in Edmonds? For fucks-sake ... some of you need to tend their own gardens.

I know the guys that run the WDFW boat. I have hunted and fished with them for years. They are sportsmen and true outdoorsmen, good family men and outstanding citizens. They’re ALL IN. That boat was well maintained and well regarded. They are truly crest-fallen about the event.

So, I urge the haters to take a break, and think about the the consequences of loss of a patrol boat that enables enforcement to perform their duties.

And, for those that think they’ll just go down to the boat dealership, or order one off Amazon as a replacement, are just shittin’ yourselves. It doesn’t work that way. Let’s wait till the jury is in before you you jump to conclusions. Don’t embarrass yourselves anymore with baseless accusations and stupid conspiracy theories. 🖕

Back to 16,

Jay

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Sry, but you lost me on this one Greg....why be pissed??? Hell, if it is the WDFW, they have very few vessels to tackle the poaching, and the mismanagement (not to mention assisting stricken boats) we disdain and bitch about all the time. We also have a resource down that needs to be on the water, and now needs to be replaced. These guys have months/years of training and written procedures to adhere to that we pay for.

I don't care who insured it, it will still cost Joe Taxpayer hard $$$$$$ to not only clean up any pollution, but to haul it out, and (if the state has funds) buy a new boat, and train them again. This isn't a pot-hole that needs to be fixed...

tacklejacked

Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
Sry, but you lost me on this one Greg....why be pissed??? Hell, if it is the WDFW, they have very few vessels to tackle the poaching, and the mismanagement (not to mention assisting stricken boats) we disdain and bitch about all the time. We also have a resource down that needs to be on the water, and now needs to be replaced. These guys have months/years of training and written procedures to adhere to that we pay for.

I don't care who insured it, it will still cost Joe Taxpayer hard $$$$$$ to not only clean up any pollution, but to haul it out, and (if the state has funds) buy a new boat, and train them again. This isn't a pot-hole that needs to be fixed...
My comments where a direct result of people pointing fingers that this was human error without knowing for sure and the idea that although, yes we all pay for state, county, and city resources, some think they pay more than they actually do..i get the I pay your wages statement all the time..so since I live in the county I work in am I self employed..guess so.

I've nearly been in this situation before. Scenario....Two guys in charge of marine maintenance with combined sea experience of 70 years, master Captain's licenses and meticulous boat owners on there own time, almost lost a 32 Almar. It wasn't maintenance, it was a system failure and a hot Marina..lucky she got pulled before sinking...so ya, shit happens even when everything is done right by knowledgeable people.

Wild Bill

Aug 4, 2010
Camano Island
Name
Steve
Boat
Otter Craft
As a guy that often wet slips my boat for up to 9 months out of the year I always like to know the root cause of these events so I can maybe prevent it from happening to me. Never let your guard down because mother nature is a bitch and on the job 24/7 trying to sink your boat. Don’t get complacent and think it can’t happen to you and yes it sucks for all involved. Carry on.

Grady226

Apr 17, 2009
Marysville,Wa
Name
Gary
Boat
22' Grady White
Jay, Thank for jumping in here.....I am guessing this is the boat we see Andrew on??

This really sucks no matter what happened!

RedRunner

Jul 15, 2016
Stanwood
Name
Josh
Boat
Northwest SeaStar
This is really odd to me. I frequent Cap Sante in the spring and I've looked this boat over when moored numerous times. Lines, shore power and fenders all looked to be tidy and better than most at a glance. Obviously I can't speak to maintenance of systems. The interactions I've had with the operator while on the water lead me to believe it was captained by a skilled and experienced person. Unlike CG Everett who bounced off the side of my boat when it still had temp tags.

Nothing pisses me off more than the government wasting tax dollars but my past experiences lead me to believe something else is at play here.

Walker Inc.

Jun 24, 2013
Gig Harbor, WA
Name
Patrick Walker
Boat
33 ft. Coldwater Walkaround
Well ... trying to stay-above-the-fray, but I can’t. G-Spot is correct in stating that the State “self insures” some of their assets. Some of you seem to think that there’s some sort of correlation between fucked-up fish management policy, bad government, and a sunken patrol boat. News flash: The Director, nor the Governor had anything to do with this (not a fan of either btw).

Do you really think committed LEO’s (game wardens) wanted this to happen? Do you think that those guys with Masters Licenses, who are well trained and more experienced mariners than a lot of you whiners ... guys not only protect our resources, but have been first-on-scene for search and rescue, who have to walk up on armed contacts during hunting season, who have to put up with a bunch of fuckin’ low-life’s on a daily basis, are somehow derelict in their duty?

Did everyone rip John Keizer when his North River sunk at the dock ? Did you all care when the Outdoor Emporium NR boat sunk at the dock in Edmonds? For fucks-sake ... some of you need to tend their own gardens.

I know the guys that run the WDFW boat. I have hunted and fished with them for years. They are sportsmen and true outdoorsmen, good family men and outstanding citizens. They’re ALL IN. That boat was well maintained and well regarded. They are truly crest-fallen about the event.

So, I urge the haters to take a break, and think about the the consequences of loss of a patrol boat that enables enforcement to perform their duties.

And, for those that think they’ll just go down to the boat dealership, or order one off Amazon as a replacement, are just shittin’ yourselves. It doesn’t work that way. Let’s wait till the jury is in before you you jump to conclusions. Don’t embarrass yourselves anymore with baseless accusations and stupid conspiracy theories. 🖕

Back to 16,

Jay
Jay all very true. The scary part is why are they all North Rivers?

Odin7

Doug Fir
Apr 19, 2008
Beverly Hills
Name
Elizabeth Warning
Boat
Space Shuttle
Nothing pisses me off more than the government wasting tax dollars.
Sorry for cherry picking a line from your post. Not trying to take anything out of context. Just borrowing a sentence.

The government doesn't waste tax dollars. Some of the people who work in the government waste tax dollars. Lots of it! (Like paying a drag queen to entertain attendees at the recent All Home Continuum of Care Conference!)

Many public employees work hard to give their boss (us) their money's worth. They are good people who are wired to do their best at anything they do and just happen to work in the government.

Boats sink for a reason. Maybe there was an extremely obese second time meth user who was trying to steal the pot puller...their weight leaning over the side combined with the weight of the snow on the roof was all it took and upsy daisy! Over she goes!

Point is, like RedRunner says, "...something else is at play here".

Omakase

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 19, 2009
Kitsap
www.facebook.com
Name
Bob
Boat
24 LaConner
If it's one of the older boats with the improperly installed ball scuppers it might have suffered a deck swamping. Theoretically, heavy snow build up in the cockpit forces the ball scuppers under water, the faulty scuppers free flow seawater into cockpit turning it into a heavy, knee deep pool, weight of engines adds to the sinking momentum, buoyancy of the empty bilge not sufficient to keep the aft end from slipping underwater . . . from there it would capsize? See the old Keizer post for info on the scupper problem.

Reactions: tacklejacked

RedRunner

Jul 15, 2016
Stanwood
Name
Josh
Boat
Northwest SeaStar
Sorry for cherry picking a line from your post. Not trying to take anything out of context. Just borrowing a sentence.

The government doesn't waste tax dollars. Some of the people who work in the government waste tax dollars. Lots of it! (Like paying a drag queen to entertain attendees at the recent All Home Continuum of Care Conference!)

Many public employees work hard to give their boss (us) their money's worth. They are good people who are wired to do their best at anything they do and just happen to work in the government.

Boats sink for a reason. Maybe there was an extremely obese second time meth user who was trying to steal the pot puller...their weight leaning over the side combined with the weight of the snow on the roof was all it took and upsy daisy! Over she goes!

Point is, like RedRunner says, "...something else is at play here".

All good man. My statement was generalized and deserved further explanation. Thanks for clearing it up. Majority of my friends and family are public employees and they bust their asses. I don't care if it's public or private sector work, the difference in productivity starts at the top.

Reactions: Odin7

ericwa285

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 8, 2014
Bow WA
Name
Eric
Boat
33 seawolf
If it's one of the older boats with the improperly installed ball scuppers it might have suffered a deck swamping. Theoretically, heavy snow build up in the cockpit forces the ball scuppers under water, the faulty scuppers free flow seawater into cockpit turning it into a heavy, knee deep pool, weight of engines adds to the sinking momentum, buoyancy of the empty bilge not sufficient to keep the aft end from slipping underwater . . . from there it would capsize? See the old Keizer post for info on the scupper problem.
My thoughts exactly.