SJD Black Marlin

Discussion in 'Baja Mexico Fishing Reports and Discussion' started by Kayell, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Kayell

Kayell Cortez Cowboy Sportfishing

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    "Cortez Cowboy" 35 Cabo
    Last Friday there was a charity raffle which benefitted two local charities - the Local San Jose del Cabo Women's Shelter, and a young girl suffering from Leukemia. In order to help them raise funds I donated a day of fishing. The winner's of this trip were Antonio and Lucia Gomez from just outside Mexico City, neither had ever caught a fish before and both were stoked to go!

Their target species was of course Marlin, so that's what we concentrated on. After a quick run to the Inner Gordo to catch some perfect size Bonito, we bridal rigged three with two running shallow off the out riggers, and one running 90-100 feet deep off the down rigger. We started a slow troll towards the Outer Gordo and were rewarded with a strike on the down rigger about half way between Inner and Outer. The fish stuck for a couple of minutes and then came free - upon examining the bait we found that the marlin only had it in it's mouth, it had not been swallowed. I'm surprised he stayed on as long as he did playing tug-o-war with us!

On our second loop around the outer Gordo, we again had a strike on the down rigger, and this one stuck. With no surface action after 10-15 minutes we all assumed it was a shark and immediately relaxed to the point where my Mate threw out a live Cabbie. Another 15 minutes and still no sign of the shark, he was taking line and we were losing the battle with a Penn 70# on full drag paired with a Custom Whopper Stopper rod. About this time we got hooked up with a stripe on the live cabbie so with Antonio battling the "shark" on the stern, his wife Lucia fought the stripe from the bow. As I was filming her on the bow, I looked back to check on Antonio just in time to see a nice Black Marlin break the surface about 300 meters away!

All of the sudden the temperament changed from playing with a shark and fighting a stripe to "Get that stripe in and released, and lets concentrate on the Black"! Just under two hours later with a few rod hand offs between the angler and my Mates, the fish was at the boat.

Because it was their first fish ever, and because they would most likely never fish again the anglers chose to keep the fish but before everyone burns them for killing a marlin, I did tell them that they were well within their rights legally (and possibly morally) to keep the fish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Captain Juan SQ and bobrehfuss like this.
  2. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Nice reward from a charity event. Bet they're fishermen from now on - they'll be back.

Not a thing wrong with keeping a special catch like that. Did you get a weight?

Kayell likes this.
  3. Kayell

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    "Cortez Cowboy" 35 Cabo
    Thanks for the support - I'm always leery of posting a report where I've killed a marlin...

There was no scale available at La Playita but we guessed between 400 to 450 pounds. Although she was relatively short, she had some girth to her. She did feed a lot of people - if you've ever been at the cleaning stand on a Sunday afternoon you know how many locals are there relaxing with their kids - lots of them took home some marlin that day!

4. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Awesome fish, congrats!

Kayell likes this.
  5. bobrehfuss

bobrehfuss Ruffo

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    Yes
    Wow Kevin, great story, amazing pics and what a fish!!

If you ask me that's Karma serving you well for your generosity and really a four way win. A win for the community your supporting with your genorosity, a win for the anglers, a win for you putting a fish like that on your amazing boat and again a win for the community enjoying what is in my opinion the finest eating of the Marlins. Yep, karma for sure.

We all know your a sportsman and release almost all Marlin. Don't let the haters scare you off.

Ok, one question.....did anyone ride the saddle while fighting that behemoth??

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Kayell likes this.
  6. Kayell

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    "Cortez Cowboy" 35 Cabo
    Thanks Bob, the client did try the saddle the first time on the rod, after he tired the first time (remember he had never caught a fish before so his style wasn't real polished) my guys each took a turn with the standup harness and when the client got back on the rod he elected standup. Not sure if it was because he was saddle sore or not! :D

7. bays90

bays90 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
    Nice one Kevin, it's nice to see some blacks showing up on the Gordo Banks this year

Kayell likes this.
  8. makairaa

makairaa I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat:
    17 starcraft
    So many black marlin die during the fight that I wonder how well they survive release after a fairly long fight. Would rather see the fish get used than wasted and those people will always remember that fish.

Kayell likes this.
  9. Kayell

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    "Cortez Cowboy" 35 Cabo
    Thanks Chris - I'm hearing more reports of blacks right now than ever, which along with the great number of blues, is pretty encouraging!

10. Kayell

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    "Cortez Cowboy" 35 Cabo
    Hey Philip, there were a few times during the 2 hr fight that I thought she had died - she was straight below the boat and dead weight until she got close at which point she would explode again and take us into the backing again. It was the forth or fifth time at the boat that we were finally able to land a gaff - I am constantly amazed at the power of these beautiful fish!

makairaa likes this.
  11. robertebaker

robertebaker BOILERMAKER.

Name:
    Bob Baker
    Boat:
    No
    Well said Ruffo. Good to see you on Bloody Decks. Kevin. Ridem Cowboy.

Kayell likes this.
  12. bays90

bays90 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    I am glad to hear that. We are having a blast in Costa Rica, I will always love fishing in Cabo, but out at the FADs 15-20+ blue marlin bites a day is just incredible fishing. I am looking at a upgrading to a 45 in the not too distant future and I will bring that up there for a little bit to fish the summer and the tourney's when I make the move up.

13. Kayell

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    "Cortez Cowboy" 35 Cabo
    Sounds good! Hopefully we can get together to wet a line!

14. bays90

bays90 Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    you bet