Sitka report

TippyCanoe

Apr 1, 2015
Name
Tyler Gangnes
Boat
Sea Ray 230 OV
We just got back from 3 days of fishing in Sitka and it was by far the worst fishing I have ever seen there. Our group has been fishing Sitka over Memorial Day for the past 11 years and have almost always caught our limits of kings and halibut. This year between the 8 people we only brought in 5 kings of the 48 we could have had if we limited every day. Needless to say our boxes were pretty light this year. My boat was actually skunked, not even a king bite! Hopefully the kings come back soon. All of the charters were having problems finding them and were completely baffled as to where the kings went since the fishing was actually pretty decent in early May. The wind was blowing a steady 20-25 kts out of the NW whi h made it difficult to fish certain spots but we traveled all around the area without any luck. Those that did catch a few kings were the ones who grinded it out in one spot all day to get 1 or 2 fish or those who were trolling to cover more ground. It seems there were no schools of fish, just a few lone fish that would hook up every once in awhile. Good luck to those going soon. Like I said, I hope the schools arrive soon like we typically see them in Sitka.

TippyCanoe

Apr 1, 2015
Name
Tyler Gangnes
Boat
Sea Ray 230 OV
We did average on the Halibut. It was blowing pretty hard the first 2 days so we couldn't get out to the deep water plus we were spending time fishing for salmon. We caught our limits of halibut and rockfish. Moe - the reports are good now. People are catching their limits again of salmon so they have arrived. You should have a great trip! Have a blast. It's still the best place to fish in my opinion.

Reactions: moezmoe

bosco

Older Timer
Oct 21, 2005
Santa Barbara
Name
Ken Ross
Boat
Someone else's
We just got back from 3 days of fishing in Sitka and it was by far the worst fishing I have ever seen there. Our group has been fishing Sitka over Memorial Day for the past 11 years and have almost always caught our limits of kings and halibut. This year between the 8 people we only brought in 5 kings of the 48 we could have had if we limited every day. Needless to say our boxes were pretty light this year. My boat was actually skunked, not even a king bite! Hopefully the kings come back soon. All of the charters were having problems finding them and were completely baffled as to where the kings went since the fishing was actually pretty decent in early May. The wind was blowing a steady 20-25 kts out of the NW whi h made it difficult to fish certain spots but we traveled all around the area without any luck. Those that did catch a few kings were the ones who grinded it out in one spot all day to get 1 or 2 fish or those who were trolling to cover more ground. It seems there were no schools of fish, just a few lone fish that would hook up every once in awhile. Good luck to those going soon. Like I said, I hope the schools arrive soon like we typically see them in Sitka.
Did you guys fish with Kingfisher Charters or another lodge? bosco

TippyCanoe

Apr 1, 2015
Name
Tyler Gangnes
Boat
Sea Ray 230 OV
We fish with Angling Unlimited and have for the past 11 years. This was the first time we haven't caught our limits. It's a bit of a risk going as early as we do being the end of May which is the leading edge of the King run. Lucky for us this year was our only bad year. We have discussed pushing out our trip to early June but we get a discount for May and sometimes the King limits are higher in May. Angling Unlimited is a great group. I highly recommend them. They don't feed you dinners so their pricing is better but they do have nice waterfront units to stay in and their boats, gear and captains are as good as they come. All of their boats are custom made North River's which are perfect for fishing up there.

STANWOOD BOB

Oct 1, 2012
WA
Name
Bob
Boat
NA
Saw your post recently and was a bit surprised! I know each year is different and have had remarkable luck in recent years during the timeframe you fished. Last year in Sitka at the end of May it was pretty much WFO. Headed to 750' line for halibut at about 10AM each day with 2 Kings apiece (5 clients per boat) and did well for nice 42" halibut and limits of rockfish too! Timing is everything and sad to hear you didn't hit 'em this year... I've enjoyed Sitka although I've fished POW and Juneau and Pelican in past years but keep returning to Kain's Fishing Adventures a nice comfortable operation! Headed up next Wednesday the 10th and saw FB reports of nice feeder kings yesterday that are stating to show! Will post up photos on my return!

Old FB

STANWOOD BOB

Oct 1, 2012
WA
Name
Bob
Boat
NA
Rolled back in late yesterday afternoon to North of Seattle at the home base! Laid up for a day on a four day trip due to a bad tooth but it all ended well! Strange year in Sitka! Fished there 6 out of the last 8 years. Water temp 4 degrees above normal and fish not in usual places with plankton everywhere! A STRONG commercial troll season in early May but went it south quickly. In years past we used to fish North of town in Kruzov Bay below Mt Edgecumbe and North of there but not this year! All fishing done around Cape Flaherty and it was good (kinda' scratchy) not like years past with WFO bite but nice quality fish going 15-18 pounds but nothing really BIG! Weird.....Oh well.... Found a few spots for excellent rock fishing with Black Sea Bass going 8+ pound! I LOVE fish tacos! Halibut when weather permitted at the 750' line was a WFO 42"-40# Great size halibut IMHO. Nice fat heavy boxes and might be tempted to use some of those Alaska miles to try for Coho in mid August! Stay tuned! Will post a few pics if I can later as go away for 5 days it seems like 5 months with 10 acres in WA state!

Last edited: