Sinker rig

D Wyman

Taildragger
May 3, 2015
Name
Doug Wyman
Boat
Big uns
When fishing the sinker rig, once you reach your chosen depth, do you put the reel in gear or thumb the spool until it gets picked up and give the fish a chance to swallow the bait before putting the reel in gear?

ZZZZZ

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Did notice last year that when the fish were near the surface and also down deep. Spread through out the water collum

The sliding sinker was most productive using a rubber band 3 feet above the hook and attaching so there is no line twist. Sinking out slow and shoulder hooked so the bait can be swam back up through the zone like a Rapala, once too deep

Watched a very good angler hook and land 6 BFT out of 30 fish for the boat on a 3 day (60-80 pounders). I got skunked. The best stop was maybe 5 fish landed for 3 days and the slip sinker pro was on fire

The rubber bands for teeth braces. No hook ring so no clacking with a loop knot acting as ring minus the clacking

Last edited:
Reactions: fishin_kid

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Anyone have luck with the bait ball aka chandelier. 3 dines + on one hook sent down. I tried a few times

Cow blue fin

Mar 23, 2020
Menifee
Name
John
Boat
Aztec
Thumb slow to where captain is metering fish, usually 100-300 feet & very
slow retrieve seems like the bigger fish pickup on retrieve.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Hard to pass up a big meal package with very little energy used to feed. For largers. Nice

Before I moved away. I just started getting into fishing Collonet with a single dropper loop for Lings. Using a owner treble hook

One strip of squid first then 2-3 dines then 1 strip of squid. On all three treble points. That's up too 9 sardines on one treble. The strips of squid in the back and front prevent the sardines from coming off. Also the sardines make the squid strips dance like the strips are alive

Almost straight quality. Ling or a big Redfish with very little small pecking fish. That style of bait ball demands attention and the big fish key in scarring the fleacod away

Would like to try that style of chandelier for tunas

Rmpsocal

Jan 12, 2016
San Pedro
Name
Rich P.
Boat
None
This angler was on her first 3-day trip on the Royal Star. A friend of mine said she was the “high stick” of the trip by fishing the sinker rig, exclusively. She would nose hook a sardine, send it down slowly, get it to a depth she liked then put it in gear!

From the Royal Star website 7/22/2020
9F87AAC7-52D9-4A99-802F-0CD946A82529.jpeg

VS818

Jul 27, 2015
Los Angeles
Name
Vic
Boat
Na
2 or 3 years ago I was fishing a sinker rig on the Ultra. I had seen people hook up on the sinker rig on a prior trip so I thought I would give it a shot. Well everyone was fly lining sardines and a few people got bit. I started winding in my bait as fast as I could in order to fly line a sardine and boom got bit on the fastest/sloppiest retrieve. Hooked a 30lb bluefin on the lip and landed.

Reactions: Motofish and ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Nose hooked bait or shoulder. Nice reaction bite. Eat it now or never see it again.

Awesome female angler

Tuna almost always feed swimming up. When a jig is free falling and gets bit. The fish was swimming up and was not swimming down to eat the jig

Best to be just above the bulk often when dead sticking

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
When fishing the sinker rig, once you reach your chosen depth, do you put the reel in gear or thumb the spool until it gets picked up and give the fish a chance to swallow the bait before putting the reel in gear?
I bump the lever up to apply a tiny bit of drag that lets the sinker rig out super slowly. When you get to a point where there is a lot of line out I put the drag up a little bit more but still light and slowly reel it in. I basically fish it like I’m slow trolling with it. Slowly down, slowly back.
When it gets bit it peels line off pretty freely and I just slowly slide the drag up and get very good hooksets this way as well.

Oh yeah, hook the bait from the lower lip up, pin a sardine’s mouth shut.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Free fall with the clicker on for vibration :D

I wonder if rubbing some BFT slime on a jig would help. All about competing with each other

Last edited:

Highwayman

Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
Anyone have luck with the bait ball aka chandelier. 3 dines + on one hook sent down. I tried a few times
I have with two baits multiple times. Almost like rock cod but took a lot longer to wind in...

909fishslayer

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 2, 2018
Riverside
Name
Travis
Boat
None
Something I have been doing on last three boat rides with great success is letting down to my marked line then knowing with angle in line I am likely not down enough. I then let out like 15' at a time thumbing it. Then I let it hang for a minute or so in a good depth with reel barely in gear. Just enough so the 4-6oz weight doesn't pull off line. The fish will hit it like a freight train and the line will scream off. Just push lever to strike and fish on. If you get one reeling up the rod loads slowly has been my experience where I thought I was stuck under boat or on someone until it starts ripping drag and head shaking. I also reel it up barely in gear so line goes back on reel. I got 2 out of 5 fish boated one trip on this and numerous on my last trip when others were skunked.

Using 40lb floro, size 1 owner mutu circle, with 4oz torpedo 4' up. Line marked 100' 200' 300'.

909fishslayer

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 2, 2018
Riverside
Name
Travis
Boat
None
Nose hooked bait or shoulder. Nice reaction bite. Eat it now or never see it again.

Awesome female angler

Tuna almost always feed swimming up. When a jig is free falling and gets bit. The fish was swimming up and was not swimming down to eat the jig

Best to be just above the bulk often when dead sticking
Captains from Aztec would disagree stating Bluefin always chase baits down feeding down on the chase. and you must drop through and past them. Where did you get the info of them feeding up?

Reactions: Cubeye

BrokenBackRebel

GringoJustin
Nov 26, 2005
Somewhere between San Diego and Yelapa
Name
Justin Ryan
Boat
Mi Sueño/Aztec/Apollo
Captains from Aztec would disagree stating Bluefin always chase baits down feeding down on the chase. and you must drop through and past them. Where did you get the info of them feeding up?
I believe they’ll do both. When fishing a jig or sinker rig it’s not an exact science of putting your offering right on their nose. If you go past them, you go thru the fish twice. If you don’t go deep enough you’ll never reach the fish...

909fishslayer

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 2, 2018
Riverside
Name
Travis
Boat
None
I believe they’ll do both. When fishing a jig or sinker rig it’s not an exact science of putting your offering right on their nose. If you go past them, you go thru the fish twice. If you don’t go deep enough you’ll never reach the fish...
Thanks Justin I know thats just what Greg has told me before. I am definitly putting more fish on the boat this year on sinker than the fly line guys even when there boiling on chum. Last Captain said they were coming up from 150’ boiling then shooting back down deep. So even though they were busting the concentration was down deeper.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Was fishing with Greg since the Pac Voyager. So I know my place and his knowledge is way beyond mine

I did say BFT are feeding up.

Anyways. If you view videos of BFT feeding its almost always up and the same with a chunk bite. And that's why thier back is darker then thier stomach. Takes millions of years to develop that camouflage

Would love to see these so cal BFT feeding on video

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
For a dead sticked sinker rig and not free falling. I can see them eating swimming down. Thanks

Yoyo they are swimming up to eat it and on the sink imo or a flyline bait or slip sinker. On the up mostly

Dead sticked sinker rig. Bit on the swim down makes sense

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
Best bites for me have been sardine pulling a free falling sinker to the bottom.

If the bait wants to swim let it.

Edit: also gotten bit on retrieve. Anyone that says they know better have a wet set of googles in their past.

Hook up through jaw and out nose to prevent flare out.

Get to depth.....go past a bit...hangout for a bit....long soak if you want.....then wind in slow in low gear up half and let go back down slow.

A good bait will last a few drops if hooked correctly.