Almost A Member
Oct 7, 2004
CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
KeyWest 1720
Sorry probably wrong forum-

But when fishing the sinker Rig, how far do you put the rubber band in front of the hook? How long is the leader usually?

Also, when dropping it down, after your desired depth do you click it in gear? Or loose drag with clicker on?

Sorry again if it’s wrong thread. Thanks!

Upvote 0

998R

May 22, 2008
san diego
Name
M
Boat
Blue Monkey, BM2
I run the sinker right above my floro. Make sure you use a J hook, circles will pop off if the bite is straight down.

Gradually let the line out to desire depth in freespool. If it gets bit, put in gear and set the hook.

Good luck

Reactions: FISHRDI and bdubs73
Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    On a private boat, i let the dine swim a few rod lengths before putting the sinker on.

On a sporty, just above my fluoro knot.

I put the reel in gear.

Upvote 0

Predatormonster

PredatorMonster
    May 18, 2013
    Cali
    Name
    Dan Monster
    Boat
    Predatormonster
    Depends on drift / tide / current . I like 4 oz . 4-12 oz is a good range . Smaller is always better for stealth . If going heavy run it further from your bait . Imo

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Rod tip to reel for fluoro. Sinker above knot.

The big mistake I see a ton of people do it letting the sinker dangle from one end. The rubber band should hold sinker at both end of weight making it look inline with mono. This makes less drag and the bait can pull it faster. It also mitigates some tangles with the dangle.

4-12oz depending on current.

This is another great time to have marks on your mainline like jig fishing. The captain is usually going to tell you how deep. It's best if you know that you are in the zone.

Circle hooks work just fine.

Dont cast or lob it out there. Drop straight over. Hopefully the bait will keep pulling against the weight at speed down to depth.

Hook through jaw and out top of nose to prevent flare out.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    Dave has a video on it .
    Me personally , I don’t like losing my sinker so I attatch the rubber band to the line first , put the tag end of the rubber band through the little loop of the torpedo and wrap the rubber band around the line and the torpedo , Go through the bottom of the torpedo eye and pull the tag end of your line through the loop

Upvote 0

Heat

Jun 3, 2004
    Yuma, AZ
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    none
    I hooked a decent one on the Sinker Rig that ended up on the boat. Used a 4 oz. Fish bit on the retrieve. I keep my thumb on and don't put it in gear. Asked the skipper about fishing it with low drag in gear and he recommended freespool with the thumb pressure instead. Better to go too deep and go through the school twice than not deep enough.

Reactions: SOLLOZZO and Cubeye
    Upvote 0

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
    Jul 3, 2004
    BD Outdoors
    Name
    John
    Boat
    None
    Anyone using straight mono with a sinker rig? Is fluoro needed when fishing down deep?
    Fluoro is not needed on a sinker rig , fishing on the Aztec a few months ago, a rent rodder got a Mak 20 spooled with 80 lb mono , He was high stick on the boat with 3 fish from 90- 140 lbs

• Haha
    Reactions: Peg North
    Upvote 0