sinker rig hook set

cozenone

Jan 25, 2020
northwest
Name
joe
Boat
none
So, for those in the know,,,, no guessing :), when using the sinker live bait method,,, Is this a wait to lock up, hook set? or lock up immediately?, I do a 5-7 count when fly lining, and normally dropping jigs otherwise, but not familiar with the correct hook set when using a sinker rig???

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
No count, when the fish brings your line tight, reel into the fish and keep reeling until he peels drag. You will often hear the captain/deckhand yelling "real, reel, reel!" for that reason. Same thing with Jigs, always reel right into the fish until it peels drag.

Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
To a fish 100lbs or over, a sardine is like a jelly bean to it. That bait is already where it needs to be, just put it in gear and come tight. Like was said before, just reeling is sufficient for both circle and J hooks, no need to "set the hook"

Upvote 0

ljg619

Jun 30, 2020
Chula Vista
Name
Leonard Gibson
Boat
SS Minnow
Does it matter how you nose hook it. I hear to go up from chin. Also how slow should you lower sinker rig into zone?

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Does it matter how you nose hook it. I hear to go up from chin. Also how slow should you lower sinker rig into zone?
I have always tried to get the bait in the zone as quickly as possible. Those tuna can be in and out of the zone in a matter of seconds.

Upvote 0

IronMikeAC

Aug 2, 2013
torrance, ca
Name
Mike
Boat
Vagabond
So, for those in the know,,,, no guessing :), when using the sinker live bait method,,, Is this a wait to lock up, hook set? or lock up immediately?, I do a 5-7 count when fly lining, and normally dropping jigs otherwise, but not familiar with the correct hook set when using a sinker rig???
I just caught 6 up to 120 lbs on sinker. Here's my take. When you're fishing deep, bluefin are casually foraging, not aggressively predatory bites. As a result, they open mouth, inhale bait, close mouth. The first tug you feel is teeth on the line slow tug, bait is 3 feet inside tuna. At that point its game on, and the hook is not set yet. Wind down till it comes TIGHT, then lift rod to set hook, and away you go. At that point, you have pulled the line 3 feet thru their teeth and the hook embeds in this jaw. No counting necessary.

Upvote 0

C Train

C Train
Jan 24, 2017
Name
Chris
Boat
Intrepid, RR3, Pacific Dawn
Got some good input from Captain Bill a few weeks ago on the Intrepid, and it worked great for me. Put the reel in gear and push the lever halfway. Start winding until the fish starts pulling drag, then give a ten count. Then slowly push the level to strike and game on!

Reactions: TOTW and cozenone
Upvote 0

C Train

C Train
Jan 24, 2017
Name
Chris
Boat
Intrepid, RR3, Pacific Dawn
Dumb question....aren't you already set at strike setting when bit on a sinker or flatfall rig?
Not a dumb question at all. On the sinker rig, if I'm using a heavier weight, I push the lever a click or two up from free spool then keep my thumb on it. This way I can gradually increase the drag when I get bit, which has greatly increased my hookup to landing ratio. I'm sure others do it differently, but that's what has worked for me.

Reactions: bdubs73
Upvote 0