May 4, 2004
San Diego,CA
Name
Doug
Boat
32' Amato cabin
8D84AAEC-9BA1-449E-A965-DABE4D8F6E5B.jpeg
E5631180-2151-4A98-9ABE-5D10656B7253.jpeg
I caught this tuna while straightening out my line with this sinker attached at Guadalupe Island recently. There was no bait on the hook. This is a first for me.

Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
Jul 27, 2017
Dana Point
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
View attachment 1074980 View attachment 1075284 I caught this tuna while straightening out my line with this sinker attached at Guadalupe Island recently. There was no bait on the hook. This is a first for me.

I did the same thing last year but mine was 45lb BFT... I use a 6oz coated in-line sinker (less messy than bare lead) that I keep in pocket for the line straitening task used multiple times a day and that one happened to be "Glow" painted... so that BFT probably thought it was another "flat fall" glow jig (squid imitation). ;)

G

Reactions: Chuck Roast
Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I caught this tuna while straightening out my line with this sinker attached at Guadalupe Island recently. There was no bait on the hook. This is a first for me.

Very cool.

Just confirms that the most important thing to do to catch a fish is put a hook and line in the water. Doesn't matter if it is the wrong size, color, shape etc... just put something out there.

So far i have not seen an angler sulking in the galley hook up. Unless someone gives him a handoff through the window or a fellow angler forgets to stop his jig at the side of the boat.

Reactions: Yellowtail Dan
Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Nice! Ling Cod bite an armed 16 ounce torpedo sinker really well, wouldn't have thought of it for Tuna!

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Caught like that, with the hook point on the outside of the jaw, I think that you snagged him! He was swimming along, minding his own business, and suddenly something bounced onto his head and then grabbed his cheek.

That is a really poor hookset. You did an excellent job of fighting and landing him! And I always believe that being lucky is an important part of any fishing trip.

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Caught like that, with the hook point on the outside of the jaw, I think that you snagged him! He was swimming along, minding his own business, and suddenly something bounced onto his head and then grabbed his cheek.

That is a really poor hookset. You did an excellent job of fighting and landing him! And I always believe that being lucky is an important part of any fishing trip.
    Pretty sure that's just for the photo as the barb didn't even penetrate the skin

Reactions: Juanba
    Upvote 0

caballo del mar

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin

It really wasn’t hooked like that. I just stuck it in (backwards) for the picture. It was hooked in the corner.

Reactions: ReelDealAngler-
    Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
    Jul 27, 2017
    Dana Point
    Name
    Garry
    Boat
    Reel Estate
    We use sinkers to catch skippies...

I've caught Wahoo on a bare 4oz chromed torpedo with a 6/0 J hook mounted on the back eye via a split ring! That was back in the day when the all chrome in-lines were fairly inexpensive... now they cost an arm and a leg).

G

Reactions: Shon
    Upvote 0

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
    Aug 14, 2016
    Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
    Name
    Eric Marin
    Boat
    10' Model T
    I think this happens to people fishing for bluefin more than they realize.

Most certainly, always hilarious to see the guy stripping off 30' before putting on a rubber band, a fathom or half is all you need. I've seen enough actually hooked on the outside of the mouth to figure that they bit the sinker and wound the hook down to the mouth.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller
    Upvote 0

JamesTaylor

Question Everything
    Jan 7, 2019
    Cypress, Ca
    Name
    James Taylor
    Boat
    Sportboats
    It really wasn’t hooked like that. I just stuck it in (backwards) for the picture. It was hooked in the corner.

This is essentially very similar to bridling the hook on a flat fall.. And you said you hooked it in the corner of the jaw? This makes me want to try out bridling flat falls and torpedo sinkers

Upvote 0

Latest posts