single strand wire for wahoo trolling? Or heavy Fluoro leader?

ThunderMudder

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 1, 2007
wishing west c
Name
nal
Boat
282 GW Sailfish F225's
to create a stealthier look (albeit likely a one time use), anyone tried rigging a marauder/bonita/DTX, etc with single strand wire in lieu of traditional multi-strand wire trolling rigs on long range boat? One possible added benefit in addition to stealth of using single strand would be good haywire twists would eliminate crimp connections (unless done correctly are prone to fail with over crimping leading to wire damage and pre-mature breakage or too loose a crimp means slippage).

Also, what about subbing the multi-strand wire trolling rig with a heavy fluoro leader (say 250-400#)?

If single strand, what strength/size wire?
174# (0.74mm)
195# (0.79mm)
218# (0.84mm)
240# (0.89mm) ?
FYI, typical 275# multi-strand wire is about 1.1mm

Application: trolling for wahoo on 15+day trips which means the possibility of also hooking a big/cow tuna, so the tackle needs to cover for that possibility too.

AKSalmon

Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
If you want stealth, go with 300# mono or fluorocarbon. Lots of the boats are doing this and losing fewer lures than you'd think. Single strand wire is less stealthy than mono or fluorocarbon unless you use very light wire -- which wahoo can cut.

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
The single strand 240# will allow better lure action, the fluorocarbon will be stealthy. Can not go wrong...

Right now use 330# fluorocarbon.

H20buffalo112

El Bombero
Feb 17, 2013
San Pedro ca USA
Name
Sergio
Boat
SANCHA Bonita
to create a stealthier look (albeit likely a one time use), anyone tried rigging a marauder/bonita/DTX, etc with single strand wire in lieu of traditional multi-strand wire trolling rigs on long range boat? One possible added benefit in addition to stealth of using single strand would be good haywire twists would eliminate crimp connections (unless done correctly are prone to fail with over crimping leading to wire damage and pre-mature breakage or too loose a crimp means slippage).

Also, what about subbing the multi-strand wire trolling rig with a heavy fluoro leader (say 250-400#)?

If single strand, what strength/size wire?
174# (0.74mm)
195# (0.79mm)
218# (0.84mm)
240# (0.89mm) ?
FYI, typical 275# multi-strand wire is about 1.1mm

Application: trolling for wahoo on 15+day trips which means the possibility of also hooking a big/cow tuna, so the tackle needs to cover for that possibility too.
I happen to have a little experience on your topic as far as single strand , seven strand or fluorocarbon , I want you to look at the picture of the yellow fin tuna caught 200 miles north of hurricanes bank , trolling .We were goofing around just wasting time , a long come these two beautiful yellow fin tuna on the troll on the marauders one weighed 160 and the other one is the one that I got was 185# and the picture doesn’t really show it but it is seven strand wire typical for fishing for wahoo So using the single strand versus the seventh strand or fluoro, they all work .

1C417970-7F5C-4B4A-9D19-30EC4A41C010.jpeg

40D9D6BD-C448-48BF-92A8-F93626F23EC3.jpeg

AC2F2D91-1CF1-4732-A61B-5A187C653436.jpeg

Reactions: Shon and Cubeye

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Just me I guess.I dont want to take a chance with my Marauders with even heavy mono.Going on a 7 day next Friday and will pull wire.Tom
In spite of what others have said, many DTX Minnows have been lost while using fluoro.

Some say they track better with fluoro. I haven't seen it. I have a fishing buddy who dropped his brand new DTX Minnow with fluoro into the water. Got bit.....Lost his Minnow.

ExBacklasher

Old guy
Oct 17, 2012
Agoura Hills
Name
Chuck
Boat
Any one that I can hop on
I was trolling a new Nomad Madmac, Tony the Tiger color, using 130 lb. flourocarbon. A wahoo hit it from the side it went airborne and the next hit cut it off. Safe to say from now on I’m going to rig it with cable.

locvetter

Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
275 or 400lb??

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
With 70lb Skinfish in the mix. I would wire. They can choke a lure down deep with a long beak

No wire with giant skinfish around. Long jig

Reactions: jbarbosa

jbarbosa

Oct 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
Name
John "Rio" Barbosa
Boat
cabo panga
Agreed....the REAL BIG wahoo will just inhale the entire lure deep past the head or spoon...seen this with a “mere” 62 pounder on a 14 inch jet head rigged with wire thankfully........

Reactions: ZZZZZ

Brad I

Common Sense Isn't Common Enough
Jun 20, 2015
San Fernando Valley
Name
Brad I
Boat
Nope
One possible added benefit in addition to stealth of using single strand would be good haywire twists would eliminate crimp connections (unless done correctly are prone to fail with over crimping leading to wire damage and pre-mature breakage or too loose a crimp means slippage).
I tried that. Didn't work. The problem was that while the haywire twist allowed for better action, the constant motion/stress as it was dragged through the water caused it to wear through at the lure end and I lost the lure before it got bit. I haven't tried it since, but YMMV, and I'd guess that the more the lure is on the surface, the more bouncing it does that the greater the chance of wearing through (as compared to a deep running lure that might have more of a constant pull/stress on the haywaire).

Reactions: Cubeye

offshore6

Where's the tuna?
Aug 20, 2006
Indialantic, Florida
Name
Eric
Boat
Boat Ho
I rig my DTX's with 170# single strand wire, fairly short (20") and I don't catch fewer wahoo than anyone else on the rotation. An added benefit is that the 200 DTX's swim better with the short single strand. The 220s don't seem to be as sensitive to ledaer length/size.

Reactions: Steve K and Cubeye

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
I tried that. Didn't work. The problem was that while the haywire twist allowed for better action, the constant motion/stress as it was dragged through the water caused it to wear through at the lure end and I lost the lure before it got bit. I haven't tried it since, but YMMV, and I'd guess that the more the lure is on the surface, the more bouncing it does that the greater the chance of wearing through (as compared to a deep running lure that might have more of a constant pull/stress on the haywaire).
Definitely an issue with single strand. I thought about a fix using a small stainless chafing spring. Have not tried it yet And do not know if that will work. A small butt ring attached to the lure should work too...

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Definitely an issue with single strand. I thought about a fix using a small stainless chafing spring. Have not tried it yet And do not know if that will work. A small butt ring attached to the lure should work too...
Or perhaps a small thimble.

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL
Reaction bite so it does not matter for trolling. On last 8 day trip in October I was 3 for 3 for wahoo trolling rotation with 275# multi strand and my friend was 4 for 4 for with the same set up but only landed 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: locvetter

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Experienced good swimming with heavy single strand and the DTX 200. Crew member Rocco on the Angler wired mine. Like 175-200 lb. Good to know about the wear factor, will keep an eye on that.