Single Reed or Double Reed

Bendo28

Jan 29, 2009
Rancho Santa Margarita/CA/USA
Name
Ben
Boat
NA
I'm going to spend some money and get a new acrylic call but I don't know if I want to get a single or double reed. Right now my go to is the RNT cocobolo/polymer which I love but it's time for an upgrade and I want to have a little versatility. I'm sure some of you guys are going to say don't waste your money, go buy a cheap one they work just as well..., but I have never found a cheepy that I liked which was reliable and sounded half way decent. Everybody has a favorite, so what are yours???

Upvote 0

glasscutter

Jan 11, 2006
hawthorne beach usa
Name
mig
Boat
25 bellboy glasscutter
Go with the single reed it has alot less tendency of getting stuck IMO.I bought the acrylic double reed from RNT and it sounds great but it sticks all the time i do have a tendency to spit into my calls but my singles never stick.

Upvote 0

glasscutter

Jan 11, 2006
hawthorne beach usa
Name
mig
Boat
25 bellboy glasscutter
Go with the single reed it has alot less tendency of getting stuck IMO.I bought the acrylic double reed from RNT and it sounds great but it sticks all the time i do have a tendency to spit into my calls but my singles never stick.
Try duck commander calls they are easy to blow and really have a good sound to them.

Upvote 0

Bendo28

Jan 29, 2009
Name
Ben
Boat
NA
Starting to do a little more research now too and finding that a lot of people say that the double reeds are easier to blow but singles have a wider range of sounds, and I love my single. I have a cheep double that stinks which I don't ever use, so I think I am leaning towards another single anyways, just trying to see what everybody else likes, especially in Southern Cal. Just sitting at the office updating the Cabela's wish list!

Upvote 0

Sluester

I kill stuff
Jul 22, 2003
Lakeside
Name
Mike
Boat
Killin time, Bill Collector
Doubles are easier to get the right tone with little effort IMO.
Don't matter what call you if you cannot operate it.
I bought a Big 5 cheapo, believe or not it sounds great for $15. Wood too. I was talking to a couple hen mallards till 8pm last night. For some reason they were calling to each other so I joined in. Sounds weird but I was trying to really copy what they were doing. Switched over to a wigeon whistle and BOTH hens answered.
I'll sit at a local pond and see if I can call birds in. Pretty cool when you can turn them with no deks...they want to land on top of you. Ya otta see the looks i get while I'm practicing in my truck on the freeway.

I've never seen where a $100 call made much of a difference. It's the guy behind it. No matter which way you go practice and do not over call.

I brought my calls down but never used them the last 2 days...just got home. Think I drove longer than I hunted.

Attachments

• 1st duck hunt nov 2011 003.jpg
    1st duck hunt nov 2011 003.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0

Bendo28

Jan 29, 2009
Name
Ben
Boat
NA
Don't matter what call you if you cannot operate it.

Couldn't agree more, buying an expensive call isn't going to make anybody a better caller. I've always wanted to try an acrylic call so I'm going to give it a shot. As far as copying the live hens, nothing weird about that, I think its the best way to get better, I just wish I had a place to do that close to me. I usually practice in the truck too, but only when its dark out to avoid those funny looks...you couldn't be any worse than that female TV host with the turkey call that I saw someone post on this site, but I can't say for sure.

Upvote 0

2amguns

Oct 6, 2011
Springfield, Missouri
Name
Tom Younce
Boat
Intrepid
Singlers are easiert to use, but, I always put Birds into my clients laps and freezers by using the good old fashioned box call with an easier yelper and mouth call combo. I hit the birds with 3 calls at once.

I go outside the box. I also set up about 9 Hen decoys, with 1 Huge Tom decoy and 2-3 Jake decoys. Drives the Birds nuttier than squirrel shit when they see this.

Upvote 0

Latest posts