sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I have always been a treble hook fan (because that comes on most stock jigs), but recently bought a few jigs at an unbeatable price and a few have siwash hooks on them. I have read multiple times people recommend single J hooks for tuna, less likely to come loose on a longer fight; yet people say treble hooks are the way to go for yellowtail fishing!?

I assume it is that Tuna have larger mouths compared to an equivalent size YT and more likely to inhale a jig versus biting at one, that coupled with a longer anticipated fight, I understand the J hook, but not the recommendation of treble hooks, or put down of J hooks for yellowtail jigging. Nobody really states why treble hooks "work better" for YT, only that they work for them and is what they prefer.

Any opinions or experience?

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
I have always been a treble hook fan (because that comes on most stock jigs), but recently bought a few jigs at an unbeatable price and a few have siwash hooks on them. I have read multiple times people recommend single J hooks for tuna, less likely to come loose on a longer fight; yet people say treble hooks are the way to go for yellowtail fishing!?

I assume it is that Tuna have larger mouths compared to an equivalent size YT and more likely to inhale a jig versus biting at one, that coupled with a longer anticipated fight, I understand the J hook, but not the recommendation of treble hooks, or put down of J hooks for yellowtail jigging. Nobody really states why treble hooks "work better" for YT, only that they work for them and is what they prefer.

Any opinions or experience?

Knock down the barb for C&R when a school wants to stay & play for hours.....

bmachale

Bob MacHale
Jul 8, 2007
Vista, CA
Name
Bob MacHale
Boat
SeaSwirl Striper 21 Richard M
I think this is an excellent question. But perhaps needs to be expanded.

How does changing the treble to a J hook effect the action of the jig? At all or a lot? no reason to have a favorite jig with a J hook if the action of the jig is thrown off. I love the success rate of Rapala type lures but hate the two trebles. The lure makers say that the lure needs the trebles to stay on or it throws off the balance.

I do not like trebles. I like to catch fish, but do not keep many. For instance. A great barracuda bite is going on. I will release all of them. Throwing a nice size jig will work very well, but it sucks when a barracuda of 27 inches ends up with all three hooks embedded in his mouth. Makes a mess and is very hard to release the fish safely. Or a calico bass. Or a bonito. I would much rater use a J hook and take the chance to a very slightly lower hook up rate than destroy the mouth of a fish I do not want.

Reactions: AliKat

tap

"The Roving Angler"
BD Writer
Jun 1, 2006
Valley Center, CA
www.rovingangler.com
Name
Tony Pena
Boat
n/a
My observations tell me that you generally get a better hook-up ratio with trebels simply because they are better at foul-hooking, grabbing anything they can sink a point into such as cheeks, eye, fins. mouth. Single hooks may reduce the ratio but are much better if you want to release a fish in good condition. I've been putting single hooks on Rapala-type lures for years without losing effectiveness-even on !00-pound bigeye tuna off San Diego in the good old El Niño days. They are much safer on the angler/deckhand as well.

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
Yeah, I see the aptitude toward a higher hook up rate with treble, as compared to a single J hook. The idea of a jig possibly not swimming optimally with a J hook also makes some sense, I mean there has to be a reason the majority of So-Cal use jigs come with a treble hook; then again a lot of those same jigs come with a single hook option off the rack, but you never know until you get it in the water. I do not think I will have any doubts using them, and if I see less hookups, I can always go back to my treble hooked jigs.

Thanks for the input guys.